Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian Citizenship

Australian Citizenship

Old Jul 26th 2004, 6:02 am
Just Joined

rydel is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Australian Citizenship

I understand that a 2 yr wait is required before Australia Citizenship can be obtained. My situation is rather complicated. We made our first strip to Australia in October last year when we obtained our PR and returned about 2 weeks later. My husband is the main applicant. He went back again in November last year and has since found a job and is working in North East of Victoria. My children and I will join him in November this year. My questions:

1) Does the 2 yr waiting period starts from October last year when we "landed"?

2) Assuming that it does, whether it only apply to my husband who is the main applicant and who is permanently there since November last year?

3) What about my children and I who will only join him in November this year? Are we able to obtain the Australian Citizenship at the same time with my husband since he is the main applicant?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards.
Old Jul 26th 2004, 6:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Muzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant future

The 2 years is the accumulative amount of time in total you would have lived in Oz over the years since validating your PR visa

For example, in my case I came out in October 2000 and left Oz in October 2001( equals 12months) and have just returned in APril 04.

12 +3= 15months. So therefore I have 9 months to go to accumulate 2years residence in Oz.

Not sure about the second..as you would be 1 year behind husband on total residence time...I would live an extra 1 year till all of family have accumulated 2 years.
Old Jul 26th 2004, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

Daffy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Australian Citizenship

Originally posted by rydel
I understand that a 2 yr wait is required before Australia Citizenship can be obtained. My situation is rather complicated. We made our first strip to Australia in October last year when we obtained our PR and returned about 2 weeks later. My husband is the main applicant. He went back again in November last year and has since found a job and is working in North East of Victoria. My children and I will join him in November this year. My questions:

2) Assuming that it does, whether it only apply to my husband who is the main applicant and who is permanently there since November last year?

3) What about my children and I who will only join him in November this year? Are we able to obtain the Australian Citizenship at the same time with my husband since he is the main applicant?

Regards.
Rydel

Check out www.immi.gov.au and search 'citizenship'. A quote from that site:

"Generally, people are eligible for Australian citizenship when they have been present in Australia as a permanent resident for a total of two years in the previous five years, including 12 months in the two years immediately before they apply."
Old Jul 26th 2004, 8:49 am
Just Joined

rydel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Daffy
Rydel

Check out www.immi.gov.au and search 'citizenship'. A quote from that site:

"Generally, people are eligible for Australian citizenship when they have been present in Australia as a permanent resident for a total of two years in the previous five years, including 12 months in the two years immediately before they apply."

Thanks, both of you.

Regards.
Old Jul 26th 2004, 9:45 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

1. The 2 years in 5 is interpreted as a total of 730 days in that last 5 years as a PR physcially in Australia. Included in this must be 365 days in the last 2 years.

2. Your husband will qualify for Australian citizenship before you do. Spouses must normally qualify as individuals.

3. Children under 16 can be added to a responsible parent's citizenship application. Normally they have to be PRs themselves but they do not have to meet the residence requirements themselves if the parent does.

So once your husband has 2 years residence, he can get Australian citizenship for himself and the children. You can follow a year later.

The Australian government is planning to bring in some concessions for spouses of Australian citizens, but is still likely to require 2 years physical residence in Australia.

http://www.citizenship.gov.au has details.

Jeremy

Originally posted by rydel

Regards.
Old Jul 26th 2004, 3:18 pm
Just Joined

Greenhorn is an unknown quantity at this point

someone help please.......

a pr is granted for 5 years.
if i want the Aussie citizernship, i have to get my butt in the final 2 years.
what happens if i only get in on the 4th or near the 5th year ? am i still eligible to apply for citizernship after 2 years ? (ie the 6th or 7th year ? )

or am i relegated to an rrv of 3 months, and never to be convertible to aus citizernship ?
Old Jul 26th 2004, 4:04 pm
Forum Regular

rajarajaraja is an unknown quantity at this point

As I have understood...

PR visa is for life. You can live in Australia permanently as long as you have entered Australia before the visa expiry date.

To answer your question, yes you will get your citizenship in 2 years of residence as long as you entered before the visa expiry date.

Originally posted by Greenhorn

what happens if i only get in on the 4th or near the 5th year ? am i still eligible to apply for citizernship after 2 years ? (ie the 6th or 7th year ? )

or am i relegated to an rrv of 3 months, and never to be convertible to aus citizernship ?
Old Jul 26th 2004, 10:04 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

RRVs for 3 months are only available in emergencies. If you want to be eligible for an RRV or citizenship on expiry of your visa you must get into Australia 2 years plus overseas holiday time beforehand.

Once in Oz with a valid PR visa you can stay indefinately as a PR. That means time in Oz after the expiry of visa counts towards an RRV or Citizenship. You must get into Australia before the visa expires. Your problems arise if you wish to travel overseas when your initial migrant visa has expired.

The Australian government issues residency with a belief that you will use it and do not have much sympathy if you expire your rights to residency.
Old Jul 26th 2004, 11:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

What is involved in getting citizenship once you have been ther 2 years?
I sit some kind of "swearing allegiance to the flag" deal?
Do you have to have earned so much money in the qualifying period or have been continuously employed?
Old Jul 26th 2004, 11:54 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.citizenship.gov.au has all the details you need to know.

You do attend a ceremony and take a pledge of commitment to Australia.

There are no specific employment or financial requirements - if you have been physically in Australia and meet the other requirements, that's enough.

Jeremy

Originally posted by cadman
What is involved in getting citizenship once you have been ther 2 years?
I sit some kind of "swearing allegiance to the flag" deal?
Do you have to have earned so much money in the qualifying period or have been continuously employed?
Old Jul 27th 2004, 12:17 am
Just Joined

Greenhorn is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by bondipom
RRVs for 3 months are only available in emergencies. If you want to be eligible for an RRV or citizenship on expiry of your visa you must get into Australia 2 years plus overseas holiday time beforehand.

Once in Oz with a valid PR visa you can stay indefinately as a PR. That means time in Oz after the expiry of visa counts towards an RRV or Citizenship. You must get into Australia before the visa expires. Your problems arise if you wish to travel overseas when your initial migrant visa has expired.

The Australian government issues residency with a belief that you will use it and do not have much sympathy if you expire your rights to residency.
thanks bondipom and rajara

So r u saying,

even if one jets in on the final day before the expiry of the 5 year PR visa, the person is deemed to be a PR ( and for life ).

The 2 years spent AFTER this will be counted towards citizernship.

Conversely. in the DIMA website, it states the "residency period" for citizernship is

- the 2 years out of 5.........which means one must be in Australia from the 3rd year of the 5 year visa ? ......**confused**
Old Jul 27th 2004, 12:53 am
JAJ
Retired

It's amazing how such a fundamentally simple concept leaves so many people completely confused.

'Jetting in on the final day' of a PR visa is *not* a good idea as a flight delay or something similar can cause you to arrive after the deadline. This deadline is *not* flexible and the consequence of missing it is lost PR.

And if you do arrive on time, you are only a PR 'for life' if you plan never to set foot outside Australia again. Not even for a holiday. To do that, you need an RRV or citizenship.

Citizenship residence periods are also quite simple. When you apply DIMIA look back 5 years. If you have 730 days or more in Australia as a PR in that period, they tick the box.

Then they look back 2 years. If you have 365 days or more, they tick the box.

Then they go onto the other requirements, if you've passed the first two checks.

Jeremy

So r u saying,

even if one jets in on the final day before the expiry of the 5 year PR visa, the person is deemed to be a PR ( and for life ).

Conversely. in the DIMA website, it states the "residency period" for citizernship is

- the 2 years out of 5.........which means one must be in Australia from the 3rd year of the 5 year visa ? ......**confused**
Old Jul 27th 2004, 2:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Muzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant future

Another Question

I have PR, my partner has Temp Spouse Visa.

I can apply for Citzenship in 9months time. However, my partner is On Temp Spouse and been in Australia only 3 months out of 2 years.
So in 2 years she gets PR, then a further 2 years down the track she gets citizenship.

Are there implications here? Is her visa still valid when I become A citizen?
Old Jul 27th 2004, 7:53 am

Originally posted by Muzza04
Another Question

I have PR, my partner has Temp Spouse Visa.

I can apply for Citzenship in 9months time. However, my partner is On Temp Spouse and been in Australia only 3 months out of 2 years.
So in 2 years she gets PR, then a further 2 years down the track she gets citizenship.

Are there implications here? Is her visa still valid when I become A citizen?
At the moment there are no implications. When you become a citizen your partners status will remain the same. There is a proposed bill that may count 1 years temporary residence + 1 years permanent residence in Oz for those that have close ties beneficial to Australia (buggered if I know what that means in practise) . That could possibly means myself and your spouse obtaining citizenship a year earlier.
Old Jul 27th 2004, 8:00 am

So r u saying,

HOw do I put it? You are a ****wit if you try and arrive in Oz a day before your visa expires. As JAJ says a day late and you lose your visa and PR. DIMIA will have no sympathy.

Another way to look at it is if you want to leave Australiain the following 2 years, even for a day in NZ, you will lose your residency and you have no visa and all is lost.

Your visa and residency are separate.

A visa entitles you to arrive in Australia and live as a permanent resident. If your visa expires you can no longer arrive in Australia to live as a PR even if you only popped over to NZ.

Point is get to OZ at least 2 years or more before expiry of your visa.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.