British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Australian car salesmen (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/australian-car-salesmen-259160/)

magone Oct 9th 2004 9:41 pm

Australian car salesmen

Off to Brisbane on the 18 October , need to buy 2 second hand cars ,as cheap as possible.Anyone dealt with the dreaded used car salesmen ?? Are they the same the world over.
What is the best way to get a good deal, play hard to get?? or what?? Need to buy 1x family car(wagon) for all the kids (3) plus 1x sporty car for me!!My missus told me I could have a convertible if I go to Oz.
Any help ,,please.

CasG Oct 9th 2004 10:32 pm

Re: Australian car salesmen

Originally Posted by magone
Off to Brisbane on the 18 October , need to buy 2 second hand cars ,as cheap as possible.Anyone dealt with the dreaded used car salesmen ?? Are they the same the world over.
What is the best way to get a good deal, play hard to get?? or what?? Need to buy 1x family car(wagon) for all the kids (3) plus 1x sporty car for me!!My missus told me I could have a convertible if I go to Oz.
Any help ,,please.

Sorry, cannot answer you question, just thought I would help to kick-start the thread - I will need a car asap when I get to Aus in Jan (lucky you going so soon :) ) I want to replace my Celica with another one - best car I've ever had. not usually materalistic, but will be very sorry to see it go :(
Cas

Siren & Brian Oct 9th 2004 10:46 pm

Why buy one from a used car yard. You could buy privately.

Try the Auto trader

pluma Oct 9th 2004 10:55 pm

Hi there,

We now live in Kingscliff , NWS/QLD boarder.

I would say haggle like crazy , i did and got $12000 off my nissan patrol.

Seems to me they'll do what ever it takes to do the deal , play very hard , even if it means walking away , they'll be on your leg before you can get back in the car.

Also play them off against each other , if possible while in front of the sales person , use your mobile , pretend theres someone on the other end with a better deal..........

all the best plum & family :beer:

magone Oct 9th 2004 10:56 pm

Thanks for the help, what I need to know is when the guy sits across the desk and says "thats tha best I can do" do I take it thats the best deal or do I walk or say, offer alot less .
I have seen people pay over the odds just because they were dupped by some fast talking salesman ,I 'd rather not be one of them.

irishmolly Oct 10th 2004 3:13 am

!!My missus told me I could have a convertible if I go to Oz.
Any help ,,please.

Umm, trust me, I'd forget about the convertable - with current temperatures of 36 degrees, driving a convertable would be like driving into the flow of a hairdryer continuously. Convertables aren't as common in Oz for this reason, you need as much air con as possible !

We bought a new Mitsubishi Challenger from Motorama Mitsubishi Toowong and I got a used Ford Falcon Ute from Mike Brennan Motors in Moorooka - Moorooka has a mile long stretch of car dealers and you'll definately find what you are looking for. Try Mike Brennan Used Motors, as I've a bit of experience with car dealers and he was as honest and cheap as dealers can be.

Good luck !

magone Oct 11th 2004 9:23 am

Originally Posted by irishmolly
Umm, trust me, I'd forget about the convertable - with current temperatures of 36 degrees, driving a convertable would be like driving into the flow of a hairdryer continuously. Convertables aren't as common in Oz for this reason, you need as much air con as possible !

We bought a new Mitsubishi Challenger from Motorama Mitsubishi Toowong and I got a used Ford Falcon Ute from Mike Brennan Motors in Moorooka - Moorooka has a mile long stretch of car dealers and you'll definately find what you are looking for. Try Mike Brennan Used Motors, as I've a bit of experience with car dealers and he was as honest and cheap as dealers can be.

Good luck !

Thanks for all the help,we also had decided on a Challenger, do you mind my asking what you paid for yours , Irishmolly?Don't know if we can stretch to a new one .Need something fairly big to get family around.Take your point about the convertible, but I'm a hairdresser and love new toys.Heading for the Albany Creek /Samford area, in 2 weeks time.By the way , with a name like Mike Brennan,there has to be some Irish connection there .Hope he looks after his own ,I'm from Dublin ,wife from U.K

Phoenixuk2oz Oct 11th 2004 9:32 am

Any help ,,please.

We bought a car for cash from Motorama in Marooka / Brisbane [Ipswich road I think?]

The saleseman was called Warren [mob 0411465666] and the service was fantastic, second to none. There was plenty of choice [I think Motorama are one of the biggest] and when we had to have something simple altered, he arranged a courtesey car. Don't normally recommend, but this chap is the business :beer:

Hope this helps ;)

irishmolly Oct 11th 2004 1:35 pm

Thanks for all the help,we also had decided on a Challenger, do you mind my asking what you paid for yours , Irishmolly?Don't know if we can stretch to a new one .Need something fairly big to get family around.Take your point about the convertible, but I'm a hairdresser and love new toys.Heading for the Albany Creek /Samford area, in 2 weeks time.By the way , with a name like Mike Brennan,there has to be some Irish connection there .Hope he looks after his own ,I'm from Dublin ,wife from U.K

We paid $37,000 for a brand new Challenger model with all extras - gotta splash out every now and again ! We also used the Irish connection to get a good bargain from Mike Brennan Motors.

I too am a hairdresser and run a salon just outside the city, we have also just bought a piece of land in Samford - if you want further info on hairdressing or Samford PM us.

If your anywhere near us when you arrive drop by for a beer and a chat.

Michele and Danny (aka Mr and Mrs IrishMolly)

melbournehelp Oct 11th 2004 9:35 pm

car salesmen are the same world over...especially used car salesmen.
There are three things you should know about any negotiation.
1)is the final price fair ?( do your homework-used car mags, other car lots)
2)always be prepared to walk away if you are not happy.
3)never talk about money until you are ready to buy.Never tell him/her how much you have to spend or about any pressure you are under to get some wheels.
4) Don't buy under pressure either from them or from your own situation.Maintaining the power in the negotiation is essential.
New car salesmen are pretty good but if you look at something 12-18 mths old you will save heaps, plus still have the balance of the new car warrenty(check as each manufacturer has different options - usually 3yrs or 100,000 kms.)
5)NEVER PAY FULL PRICE FOR ANYTHING.
In Australia everything of any value is negotiable in the big stores/car markets .
Whenever you deal with people who are motivated by money only - you need to drop to their level. Don't discuss niceties.
Check the car has 12mths of registration- second hand dealers are not obliged to give that unless it's a new car and they quote an 'on road ' price.
Always ask to see the vehicles service book and check your mileages.
You can ring the local Road traffic authority in your state to check about previous keepers/outstanding finance etc.Get the engine and chassis numbers before you ring.
Consider a RACQ inspection before you buy, or take a friendly mechanic if you have decided you want a particular car.

I think that was more than three things...

Steve

magone Oct 12th 2004 3:54 am

Hi Irishmolly , Just sent you a PM