British Expats

British Expats (
-   Australia (
-   -   Australian and Canadian PR (

sherry9oct Feb 11th 2015 4:46 am

Australian and Canadian PR
I am Australian and Canadian PR working and living in Canada.(I guess I will never return to Australia but not sure)

1. I will be filing tax return in Australia but will I be exampled from paying tax because I have not earned anything in Australia.

2. I will be paying tax in Canada because I have earned this money in Canada.

3. Or should I be paying both countries?

msmyrtle Feb 11th 2015 4:59 am

Re: Australian and Canadian PR
I'm pretty sure both countries tax worldwide income based on (what they define as) tax residency.

So you may* not have to pay tax in Australia because you aren't considered a tax resident, not because you haven't earned anything in Australia.

Note also that Canada and Australia have different financial years.

* = not a tax person

Cubiscus Feb 11th 2015 5:00 am

Re: Australian and Canadian PR
If you're living in Canada and are resident for tax purposes you'll need to declare anything earned abroad. If you've not earned anything in Australia this year then there's nothing to declare if you aren't tax resident in Oz.

NOTE - they have different tax years so be careful!

All times are GMT. The time now is 2:17 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.