Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian Business Number ?

Australian Business Number ?

Old Oct 22nd 2003, 4:01 am
Forum Regular

Andy Pandy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Australian Business Number ?

Can anyone guide me in the right direction !

I have recently got my 457 visa and once house sale has gone through I will be in Perth late December time. However, I am in the process of setting up my business via website address etc. and with a .com.au address you need an Australian Business Number to do this. Does anyone know how and where I can get this number from !

Look forward to your replies
Thanks
Andrew
(in rainy Menorca)

Old Oct 22nd 2003, 4:32 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: Australian Business Number ?

Originally posted by Andy Pandy
Can anyone guide me in the right direction !

I have recently got my 457 visa and once house sale has gone through I will be in Perth late December time. However, I am in the process of setting up my business via website address etc. and with a .com.au address you need an Australian Business Number to do this. Does anyone know how and where I can get this number from !

Look forward to your replies
Thanks
Andrew
(in rainy Menorca)

http://www.sd.qld.gov.au/dsdweb/htdocs/global/start.cfm
explains it all, web based business included (this is the qld gov site.. you may want to find the western aus site if you're going to Perth... they have links on this site to the other states.. but I can't seem to get it working.. the site seems to be playing up today.. very slow)
Old Oct 22nd 2003, 4:34 am
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

An ABN is an Australian Business Number. You do not have to have an ABN to run a business, however if you do not have an ABN and you are supplying goods or services, your customers may withhold 48.5% of their payment to you and pass this onto the Australian Tax Office.
Once you get an ABN you need to decide whether or not you want to register for GST. If you register for GST, you can claim back any GST your business pays on its acquisitions and you have to pay GST on your businesses supplies. If you think you will sell more than $50,000 in the financial year, you will need to register for GST, otherwise you have the choice.

Finally, in order to apply for an ABN number, simply goto www.abr.business.gov.au and click on “Apply for an ABN�.
Old Oct 22nd 2003, 5:05 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: Australian Business Number ?

He/she needs to be a registered business to get the domain ".com.au " (an a ARBN or ACN) . The .com.au is for Australian registered businesses or company

the above qld gov site does explain it in full.

cheers
Old Oct 22nd 2003, 5:46 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute
Default Domian Name Registration in Australia and Business Name Registration

You can also register a .com.au domain name if you have a registered business name in a State or Territory of Australia.

You might consider contacting a serviced office in WA so they can act as your office address both before you arrive and afterwards. You can then register your business name at that address, and that will be sufficient for you to obtain your .com.au domain.

If you need any more help please let me know.

Best regards.