Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian Bucket List

Australian Bucket List

Old Feb 13th 2011, 6:09 am
Forum Regular

lou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to all
Default Re: Australian Bucket List

Am I allowed to have more than one?!

+1 on the Whitsundays - the sailing trip and a 4WD trip on Fraser Island were two highlights of my travels in Oz.

Kakadu National Park (NT)

The Gibb River Road (The Kimberley, WA)

Any long road trip, with a tent to camp out under the amazing Aussie outback stars. Incredible.
Uluru is awesome for that, you can literally see the milky way streaking across the sky.

I love this country!
Old Feb 13th 2011, 6:14 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lou1003
Am I allowed to have more than one?!

+1 on the Whitsundays - the sailing trip and a 4WD trip on Fraser Island were two highlights of my travels in Oz.

Kakadu National Park (NT)

The Gibb River Road (The Kimberley, WA)

Any long road trip, with a tent to camp out under the amazing Aussie outback stars. Incredible.
Uluru is awesome for that, you can literally see the milky way streaking across the sky.

I love this country!
I think you're allowed as many as you want.
Old Feb 13th 2011, 6:20 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by diddy
Never done the helicopter thing on the reef. Does it beat the boat trip or are they just different?
Just different, we choppered out to the Fantasea place and got an overview of the structure of the reef and the various islands ... I like getting a wider perspective so that was good.

We cruised back and this was pretty choppy, but I don't mind a bit of that ... a fair number of people did though.

I also had a helicopter ride over Uluru and surrounds, thoroughly recommended.

I did the same over the Grand Canyon ... must be a holiday helicopter nut now I think about it ...
Old Feb 13th 2011, 6:53 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Drive from the eastern states across the Nullabor, stopping off at the Great Australian Bight, across to Norseman (detour to look at Kalgoorlie if there's time) before heading down to the Esperance area. Travel along the entire south coast of WA, then north from Augusta to Dunsborough, then on to Perth. Of course, you can just keep going and head to Ningaloo, the Pilbara, Kimberley then onwards.
Old Feb 13th 2011, 7:00 am
Forum Regular

lou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to all

Ooo +1 for Esperance

Exmouth and the Ningaloo Reef are also awesome - I much preferred diving there to up in North QLD.
Old Feb 13th 2011, 7:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by louiseos
Yeah, I've driven by it heaps . . . I'm only 15 mins away from it. The locals tell me I MUST see the movie!! We'll see whether it will be drunk or sober! :P
Romsey or Woodend.... maybe Macedon ? Magnetic Hill is close by as well.

One of my BIL's lived in Romsey, oh and Sunbury and Bullangarook... he moved around a bit.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 9:34 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

The Ghan up to Darwin from Adelaide

Uluru and Alice - always wanted to see Alice since I read the book aged about 9.

Same reason i'd like to visit Darwin, couldn't live there I'd loathe the humidity, but I remember hearing about Cyclone Tracy when I was about 10, been fascinated by the place ever since.

Birdsville Races

Coober Pedy - people living underground, the whole idea fascinates me I had a mate who lived ion a cave in Spain for a while, think that was a bit more downmarket than Coober Pady though!

Some of the really wild parts of Aus like the Kimberleys, but I don't have the stamina for trekking or anything like that, I'd rather see them by boat, going up through gorges etc

And some bits of Tassie I haven't seen yet, I'd like to go into the forests of the southwest on foot, instead of just seeing them from the air, and go trekking across the Cradle Mountain area, but again I don't think I have the stamina!

Macquarie island would be amazing too, and does a longing to see Antarctica count? After all part of that is Australian
Old Feb 14th 2011, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

louiseos is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Romsey or Woodend.... maybe Macedon ? Magnetic Hill is close by as well.

One of my BIL's lived in Romsey, oh and Sunbury and Bullangarook... he moved around a bit.
A stones throw from Romsey ...
Old Feb 14th 2011, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

Jackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really nice

Buy a Winnebago with a trailer for the Harleys and just drive for ever and ever........................... (Preferably BEFORE I can be classed as a grey nomad )
Old Feb 15th 2011, 3:55 pm
Lost in Paperwork

Manners_1983 is an unknown quantity at this point

Most of the obvious ones have been mentioned already...(star gazing on Fraser Island gave me tingles)

Think we should chuck a dip under Millaa Millaa falls in there as well!!
Old Feb 15th 2011, 8:07 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

Penguins. Either the indigenous ones on the south coast or the Antarctic ones in Melbourne Aquarium.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 10:36 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Many on here are on my bucket list too

some I have done - Fly down the coast by sea plane Newcastle to Sydney and into Rose Bay around the harbour too if possible. Make sure the pilot shows you everything especially around the Hawksbury.

Go for a leisurely Kayak on may of the East Coast lakes and waterways - heaven.

Spend a weekend in the blue mountains and see the many sights including the Jenolan Caves

Outside of NSW on my to do list in the near future - Explore Tasmanian more in camper van.