Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

the australian benefit system

the australian benefit system

Old Sep 19th 2003, 12:29 pm
Just Joined

state_of_grace is an unknown quantity at this point
Default the australian benefit system

as a mother of two children who has not worked for 4 years i was wondering what the benefit system is like down under
my husband has also been unemployed for the past 18 months so we are not exactly wealthy and we just want to know what we will be entitled to when we move to cairns in december

for the record i am an australian citizen i have been in scotland for 10 years and hubby has been sponsered by me so although he cannot claim anything for two years i can (correct me if i am wrong)

anyone got any experience of this

thanks or your help
Old Sep 19th 2003, 6:07 pm
Just Joined

dont mean to nag but i have spent a long time searching the centrepoint website and i cant find any information i was hoping somebody here might help?

2 kids 2 unemployed adults
Old Sep 19th 2003, 6:22 pm
creepycrawlycreepycrawly!

mr2blue is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm sorry I dont have any information about what you are asking but can I ask is there a reason why one or both of you wont be able to work once in Oz?
Old Sep 19th 2003, 8:06 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Try searching this and the Oz Immigration forum with various words like "benefits" and you may find something.

As has already been said, is there any reason why one of you cannot work once you get out there? As you sponsored him, you were undertaking to support him, so without wanting to sound harsh surely you should have had a plan to enable you to do this, especially as you have children as well?
Old Sep 19th 2003, 11:35 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: the australian benefit system

Originally posted by state_of_grace
as a mother of two children who has not worked for 4 years i was wondering what the benefit system is like down under
my husband has also been unemployed for the past 18 months so we are not exactly wealthy and we just want to know what we will be entitled to when we move to cairns in december

for the record i am an australian citizen i have been in scotland for 10 years and hubby has been sponsered by me so although he cannot claim anything for two years i can (correct me if i am wrong)

anyone got any experience of this

thanks or your help
He can claim but you are liable for he claims before the 2 year waiting period. You are entitiled to benefits after a 2 year waiting period. I don't know if time resident on a temporary visa counts in those 2 years but he should get PR straight away from the length of your relationship.

Have you been asked to provide an assurance of support? Not sure but I think the AOS is meant for people in your situation.

What does your husband do for a living?
Old Sep 19th 2003, 11:53 pm
Just Joined

thanks for all your replies

the reason i cannot work is because i have agoraphobia and have severe bouts of anxiety i am on medication prescribed here in uk but i cannot face crowds
my husband is unable to find work here and we are hoping to start fresh there in cairns and he hopes to start his own business cutting grass and tidying gardens
we havent been asked to provide any money as a deposit and we dont have any to give
friends are paying for our tickets for us to get out there and then we will be staying with my elderly parents
we really need to know if we will have any money for day to day expenses when we get there.
Old Sep 20th 2003, 12:00 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Can't offer any help I'm afraid as we had to give proof that we wouldn't need benefits, hence I haven't looked at the benefit system in Oz, but I wish you the best of luck anyway.
Old Sep 20th 2003, 1:06 am
Forum Regular

ozbear is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.centrelink.gov.au/
It is the web page link for Australian benefit system. Generally I think you should have no problem to get benefit from government for your two kids.
However, it is not so good for you and your husband I am afraid. I heard a news that Australian government plan to apply similar unemployment allowance system as in USA, which means you can enjoy unemployment benefit for up to six months only.
Old Sep 20th 2003, 7:40 am
creepycrawlycreepycrawly!

mr2blue is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck with your plans,I think your very brave and I hope it all works out for you.
Old Sep 20th 2003, 7:58 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: the australian benefit system

[
Have you been asked to provide an assurance of support? Not sure but I think the AOS is meant for people in your situation.
Sorry Bondi, just need to correct you on that point. We had to supply an assurance of support because we decided to go on the 139 "skilled desg area sponsored" (was being fast tracked, alledgedly!) and because of having a family sponsor, you need an assurer, its nothing whatsoever to do with your current employment status. There now thats cleared up, i'm off to post more innane drivel!