Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian Banks!

Australian Banks!

Old Sep 12th 2005, 2:41 am
Just Joined

lostincanberra is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Australian Banks!

I never though I'd say this but Australian banks are amongst the biggest theiving B***tards, that ever existed, they make Barclays look like mother Theresa, and the standard of customer service is just diabolical, I would certainly reccomend giving the Commonwealth bank a miss.

John
Old Sep 12th 2005, 3:40 am
Banned

Hunterau is a name known to allHunterau is a name known to allHunterau is a name known to allHunterau is a name known to allHunterau is a name known to allHunterau is a name known to allHunterau is a name known to allHunterau is a name known to allHunterau is a name known to allHunterau is a name known to allHunterau is a name known to all
Default Re: Australian Banks!

Originally Posted by lostincanberra
I never though I'd say this but Australian banks are amongst the biggest theiving B***tards, that ever existed, they make Barclays look like mother Theresa, and the standard of customer service is just diabolical, I would certainly reccomend giving the Commonwealth bank a miss.

John

You are %100 right!!! Stay away from Aussie banks at all costs!!! We have set up an account at HSBC. They only charge for cashpoint withdrawals (you get 2 free per month) but all EFTPOS transactions are free. It's worth getting an account with them if you regularily go over your 15 transaction limit every month.
Old Sep 12th 2005, 3:44 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Yep - theiving w*nk*rs - ANZ are the same.
Old Sep 12th 2005, 3:51 am
Banned

Hunterau is a name known to allHunterau is a name known to allHunterau is a name known to allHunterau is a name known to allHunterau is a name known to allHunterau is a name known to allHunterau is a name known to allHunterau is a name known to allHunterau is a name known to allHunterau is a name known to allHunterau is a name known to all

Every Aussie bank is the same. They all have a 15 transaction limit and other charges... Look into HSBC!!!!
Old Sep 12th 2005, 3:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Stop being negative about australia people, admit the truth you all really like paying extortinate fees to use your own money

Last edited by jad n rich; Sep 12th 2005 at 4:02 am.
Old Sep 12th 2005, 4:10 am
Banned

Astro will become famous soon enoughAstro will become famous soon enough

Atleast you can get an Account. Try being an aussie in the UK - They make us virtually beg just for us to give *them* money!

Anyway, try St George Bank in Aus. They have a debit card which runs through the visa network. It's called a multi-access account. This saves you alot in fees, as there are none to use EFTPOS with it.
Old Sep 12th 2005, 3:56 pm
Banned

Lewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Astro
Atleast you can get an Account. Try being an aussie in the UK - They make us virtually beg just for us to give *them* money!

Anyway, try St George Bank in Aus. They have a debit card which runs through the visa network. It's called a multi-access account. This saves you alot in fees, as there are none to use EFTPOS with it.
Please don't even attempt to defend Aussie banks, let alone try and compare them to the UK's. They are robbing [email protected]

Another example is the 'mysterious monthly fee.' When I asked the CBA, Perth what these regular monthly debits were for, they told me it was the periodic charge for HAVING AN ACCOUNT WITH THEM!! Can you believe that.

So in theory, if you deposit a few hundred dollars and never touched the account, your money would eventually dwindle away.

Love Australia, and can't wait to migrate there. But the banks are shocking.
Old Sep 13th 2005, 3:38 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Don't even THINK about St George! Among a whole swathe of incompetent and inefficient banks they are tops.

Probably why they regularly get awards for customer service.....

(Isn't another word for "servicing", "scr*w*ng"? <g>)
Old Sep 13th 2005, 3:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: To the world you are one person...to one person you may be the world
logan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nice

Originally Posted by diddy
Yep - theiving w*nk*rs - ANZ are the same.

Yeh most banks do charge for...well everything...everytime you do it, but we've found the ANZ to be the best. We started off with an account where we pay $5.00 per month (compared to all the other banks' charges, what's 5 bucks?) and have unlimited EFTPOS and ATM usage (as long as it's an ANZ ATM, of which there are many.

We've just got our mortgage with them, and now our current and savings account is offset against our mortgage constantly, so we always pay the least amount of interest possible. The interest rate is reduced also - it's called the Breakfree package for anyone looking into mortgages.
Old Sep 13th 2005, 4:05 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Lewis Lapthorn
Please don't even attempt to defend Aussie banks, let alone try and compare them to the UK's. They are robbing [email protected]

Another example is the 'mysterious monthly fee.' When I asked the CBA, Perth what these regular monthly debits were for, they told me it was the periodic charge for HAVING AN ACCOUNT WITH THEM!! Can you believe that.

So in theory, if you deposit a few hundred dollars and never touched the account, your money would eventually dwindle away.

Love Australia, and can't wait to migrate there. But the banks are shocking.
Well what's the big diff between UK and Aus banks? ... I virtually had to beg for the UK account, and I'm still paying fees. Service is no better in the UK from my experience - I've found the staff to be more pretentious in the UK. Like, they're the ones doing me the favour. But I suppose I've found that when needing any sort of service here in the UK (except from the friendly aussie publicans, on their working holiday) All I need now is some good quality aussie beer like VB not this wishy washy English stuff that you all seem to like.

Last edited by Astro; Sep 13th 2005 at 4:09 am.
Old Sep 13th 2005, 4:15 am
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

well, anyone who thinks VB is a quality beer is obviosuly deluded!!!

so what fees are you paying? i still have at least 6 uk accounts and have not incurred a single fee from them anytime in the last 10 years. i can even withdraw from an ATM anywhere in the world without incurring a fee.

Well what's the big diff between UK and Aus banks? ... I virtually had to beg for the UK account, and I'm still paying fees. Service is no better in the UK from my experience - I've found the staff to be more pretentious in the UK. Like, they're the ones doing me the favour. But I suppose I've found that when needing any sort of service here in the UK (except from the friendly aussie publicans, on their working holiday) All I need now is some good quality aussie beer like VB not this wishy washy English stuff that you all seem to like.
Old Sep 13th 2005, 4:20 am
Banned

Originally Posted by brisnick
well, anyone who thinks VB is a quality beer is obviosuly deluded!!!

so what fees are you paying? i still have at least 6 uk accounts and have not incurred a single fee from them anytime in the last 10 years. i can even withdraw from an ATM anywhere in the world without incurring a fee.
VB is a real mans beer, I wouldn't expect you to understand.

Anyway, I'm paying transaction fees at ATM's and fees when used abroad. (just like back in Aus).

Which UK bank are you with?

Last edited by Astro; Sep 13th 2005 at 4:30 am.
Old Sep 13th 2005, 4:26 am
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

barclays. no fees in uk atms, or direct debit, nor if using 'partner' ATMs across the world (westpac in oz)

nationwide. no fees for any atm withdrawals anywhere.

funnily enough, nearly all the aussies i know here would't touch VB or XXXX and instead drink the premium beers.

VB is a real mans beer, I wouldn't expect you to understand.

Anyway, I'm paying transaction fees at ATM's and fees when used abroad. (just like back in Aus).

Which UK bank are you?
Old Sep 13th 2005, 4:29 am
Banned

barclays. no fees in uk atms, or direct debit, nor if using 'partner' ATMs across the world (westpac in oz)

nationwide. no fees for any atm withdrawals anywhere.
Cheers, will have to look into them.

funnily enough, nearly all the aussies i know here would't touch VB or XXXX and instead drink the premium beers.
Well, you sir, are yet to meet a real aussie.
Old Sep 13th 2005, 5:01 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Rog Williams
Don't even THINK about St George! Among a whole swathe of incompetent and inefficient banks they are tops.

Probably why they regularly get awards for customer service.....

(Isn't another word for "servicing", "scr*w*ng"? <g>)
I've been with St George for a very long time, and never had issues with them.

Always great service, and their Multi access card is great! Sure, they have fees, but every bank in Aus does.

Last edited by Astro; Sep 13th 2005 at 5:09 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.