Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian bank recommendations?

Australian bank recommendations?

Old Nov 23rd 2009, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

chelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to all
Talking Australian bank recommendations?

Hi Guys,

We need to pull our finger out and get a bank account sorted before we leave in 9 weeks!

Does anyone have any recomendations of which banks to use? Is there anyone I should avoid?

Ta
Chelly
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

capetosydney will become famous soon enoughcapetosydney will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Australian bank recommendations?

Originally Posted by chelly77 View Post
Hi Guys,

We need to pull our finger out and get a bank account sorted before we leave in 9 weeks!

Does anyone have any recomendations of which banks to use? Is there anyone I should avoid?

Ta
Chelly
Avoid all the banks... but that's a different topic altogether..
They are all the same, my friends use Commonwealth, they're happy with the service, and they apparently have widest ATM coverage (if that is true ).
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 5:35 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Guys,

Ta
Chelly
Commonwealth has some of the highest charges we joined them and moved cash out within a week and there service was shocking as well. HSBC charge a lot less and you can do most banking online and putting in of cash at post offices and get cash out at supermarket and not really need to go to bank.

If you search banks+ charges in google a lot of Aus Banks have recently removed a load of charges.
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 9:03 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

This wee thread I started a while back might be useful to you, then again, it might not lol

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=637877
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 9:15 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

National Australia Bank > Conyourwealth.

They have no monthly charge accounts, the largest network of ATMs. Branches everywhere and the internet banking is easy as. They offer migrant banking before people live the UK. Highly recommend. Switched from Commonwealth years ago.

www.nab.com.au
www.nabgroup.com/migrantbanking/
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 9:34 pm
Forum Regular

capetosydney will become famous soon enoughcapetosydney will become famous soon enough

OK, OK, I get it, Commonwealth Bank is crap
Old Nov 24th 2009, 8:32 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

I've been with CBA since arriving 4 years ago and never had any problems. I set the account up in the UK before we left and our cashpoint cards were waiting for us on arrival.

From everything I've read with all the big 4 there will be people who have had problems and people who have found them to be fine. It may be worth checking all their websites and finding the one with the most cashpoints in the area you plan to live as using other banks cashpoints can quickly add up at $2 a go these days
Old Nov 24th 2009, 8:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Budawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Guys,

Ta
Chelly
I use NAB and I'm fairly satisfied. They've now dropped their credit card late payment fee of $30 which was a real rort. I use their professional choice package which means I pay an annual fee instead of all the account service charges etc. Not sure it's saving me much, but worth considering.
Old Nov 24th 2009, 10:14 am
BE Enthusiast

calNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to all

We opened an account with ANZ prior to our arrival, we are now 3 years in and as far as banks go they have been great. Customer service is good both in person and on the phone and their fees for standard accounts aren't that bad either.

Westpac is another bank that seems popular with new arrivals but having not used them myself i am not sure of fees etc.

Cal x
Old Nov 24th 2009, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

sarmstrong is just really nicesarmstrong is just really nicesarmstrong is just really nicesarmstrong is just really nicesarmstrong is just really nicesarmstrong is just really nicesarmstrong is just really nicesarmstrong is just really nicesarmstrong is just really nicesarmstrong is just really nicesarmstrong is just really nice

I am about to open a Choice account (current account) with Westpac, it gives unlimited transactions for $5 a month. This fee is waived for the first 6 months and there after if you have a salary of $2000 credited to the account each month. You can open it alongside the eSaver Account (high interest) which has no monthly fee and no minimum balance required.

Here is a web address for you www.westpac.com.au/migrantbanking

Last edited by sarmstrong; Nov 24th 2009 at 10:53 am. Reason: put e-mail address instead of web address, silly me
Old Nov 24th 2009, 12:20 pm
rab
Forum Regular

rab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond repute

I've lived here 6 years. Left Commonwealth after a short time too many rip off charges. HSBC not too bad here nor Members Equity, part of Westpac. Avoid Bankwest.
Old Nov 24th 2009, 12:51 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Had totally piss-poor service from NAB which culminated in a nice shouty argument in one of their branches and the swift closure of our account there. Now with Westpac with whom we have our mortgage - pay no account charges and have no overdraft fees. Oh and when my business went tits-up we were given a three month 'mortgage holiday' until we got back on our feet.
Old Nov 24th 2009, 10:19 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by rab View Post
I've lived here 6 years. Left Commonwealth after a short time too many rip off charges. HSBC not too bad here nor Members Equity, part of Westpac. Avoid Bankwest.
How about the Rabo bank ?

I am not sure that Members Equity is part of Westpac ?

Talking about them though, I saw this article recently:
05 Nov 2009
NAB follows ME Bank's lead in abolishing Monthly Account-Keeping Fees
I wonder if there was ever an article saying "ME Bank follows HSBC Bank's lead in abolishing Monthly Account-Keeping Fees"
Actually probably not, as the HSBC never abolished them.... they never had them to abolish

I also started with Commonwealth, but left for something better.

Old Nov 25th 2009, 1:16 am
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Guys,

Ta
Chelly
We were with HSBC for our day to day banking and ING for our savings which offers a fairly competitive rate of interest and is fee free. However, we have recently opened up the new ING orange account for our day to day funds so now all our funds are in the one place. Again this account is fee free, however if you withdraw less than $200 from an ATM, a $2,00 charge will apply. If you draw $200 or more in one transaction, ING will refund the ATM charge instantly.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 8:58 am
His Excellency

fifty_pence has much to be proud offifty_pence has much to be proud offifty_pence has much to be proud offifty_pence has much to be proud offifty_pence has much to be proud offifty_pence has much to be proud offifty_pence has much to be proud offifty_pence has much to be proud offifty_pence has much to be proud offifty_pence has much to be proud offifty_pence has much to be proud of

Hi Guys,

Ta
Chelly
funny noone mentioned st george - thats who I'm with ..