Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Which Australian Bank?

Which Australian Bank?

Old Oct 4th 2007, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

the greens is just really nicethe greens is just really nicethe greens is just really nicethe greens is just really nicethe greens is just really nicethe greens is just really nicethe greens is just really nicethe greens is just really nicethe greens is just really nicethe greens is just really nice
Default Re: Which Australian Bank?

We need to open an Australian bank account for wages to be paid in once we get there. Which is the best bank account you can open from Britain - Commonwealth any good ? Also is it true you have to pay to open an Australian HSBC bank a/c from England ?
Old Oct 5th 2007, 1:18 am
BE Enthusiast

longreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by the greens
We need to open an Australian bank account for wages to be paid in once we get there. Which is the best bank account you can open from Britain - Commonwealth any good ? Also is it true you have to pay to open an Australian HSBC bank a/c from England ?
No. The HSBC online savings account is completely fee free, offers a good interetst rate, and can be opened easily from the UK. Do a search for HSBC international account opening. They are based in London. They will send everything you need.

Beware that a number of Aussie banks can charge fees, Commonwealth included.

Cheers,
Mark.
Old Oct 5th 2007, 1:25 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NJJ
Comments??

They are all scum, sub-human scum.
Old Oct 5th 2007, 1:35 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by longreach
No. The HSBC online savings account is completely fee free, offers a good interetst rate, and can be opened easily from the UK. Do a search for HSBC international account opening. They are based in London. They will send everything you need.

Beware that a number of Aussie banks can charge fees, Commonwealth included.

Cheers,
Mark.
Agree. I bank with HSBC, and haven't paid a cent in fees since I arrived.

I opened the account from the uk, which was fairly straightforward. Also, the account is immediately active - no having to activate it when you arrive.

S
Old Oct 5th 2007, 4:44 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

I bank with HSBC although I was on the point of giving up on them: they swear they'd posted some six chequebooks to me - none of which I had received, so were cancelled - and after almost three years and innumerable calls and mails they discovered that the secure printing firm they use had posted them to the branch in Sydney instead of to my address. So the branch kept each for three weeks - and then destroyed them. Naturally.

However, I'm slowly learning to accept this "efficiency" as a normal part of life here. And I don't even keep alpacas...........
Old Oct 5th 2007, 5:56 am
Forum Regular

jan&co will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I say HSBC too. The Online Savings account has fantastic service, a no strings visa debit card and I haven't paid a cent in bank charges and fees since I arrived last year.

At the moment I use Bankwest for savings - 7% - but will be reverting to HSBC Serious Saver - 6.75% - when my Bankwest introductory period runs out in Feb.

S
Sorry if this soundes silly, but do u pay any fees when closing an account, say the Bankwest Telenet Saver Account if thats what you mentioned? I cant find anything on closing accounts.

Im with Suncorp, Subaccounts Savings Rate of 6.4% but they charge account keeping fee of $5.00 on your Everyday Options main Account. Have been thinking of switching to Bankwest.....

Thanks.
Old Oct 5th 2007, 9:23 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
I bank with HSBC although I was on the point of giving up on them: they swear they'd posted some six chequebooks to me - none of which I had received, so were cancelled - and after almost three years and innumerable calls and mails they discovered that the secure printing firm they use had posted them to the branch in Sydney instead of to my address. So the branch kept each for three weeks - and then destroyed them. Naturally.

However, I'm slowly learning to accept this "efficiency" as a normal part of life here. And I don't even keep alpacas...........

At least you got to the bottom of it Wol, and no harm done either. It could have been a lot worse had they just been delivered to some disreputable scrote's house...

Originally Posted by jan&co
Sorry if this soundes silly, but do u pay any fees when closing an account, say the Bankwest Telenet Saver Account if thats what you mentioned? I cant find anything on closing accounts.

Im with Suncorp, Subaccounts Savings Rate of 6.4% but they charge account keeping fee of $5.00 on your Everyday Options main Account. Have been thinking of switching to Bankwest.....

Thanks.

It wouldn't surprise me, but I don't think that you have to pay a closure fee, unless there are any fees outstanding on the account.

I have found Bankwest to be excellent actually, and I would happily recommend them to anybody. They are very forward thinking when it comes to fees, and there interest rate is the second best in the country.

S
Old Oct 5th 2007, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jan&co

Thanks.

Found it - Closing of account at customer service centre - free.
Closing of account via another bank - $10.
Old Oct 5th 2007, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
At least you got to the bottom of it Wol, and no harm done either. It could have been a lot worse had they just been delivered to some disreputable scrote's house...

It wouldn't surprise me, but I don't think that you have to pay a closure fee, unless there are any fees outstanding on the account.

I have found Bankwest to be excellent actually, and I would happily recommend them to anybody. They are very forward thinking when it comes to fees, and there interest rate is the second best in the country.

S
Thanks! Serv-o. Will be looking into the Telenet Saver Account.
Bank fees in Australia is really like shark territory.... just got to be alert!
Old Oct 5th 2007, 9:56 am
BE Enthusiast

OzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud of

Check which banks charge you for using other banks ATM's (usually about $1.50). I'm sure Bank West don't charge you for using other bank's ATM's if you are outside WA. I think all major banks like CBA, Suncorp, ANZ and NAB do. Banks that do not have lots of branches dont tend to charge for using other ATM's.

I think CBA have the most ATM's Australia wide - someone will tell me different I'm sure! They charge $4 for unlimited electronic banking on their everyday account and you can also have an Internet Saving account, with no fees and 6.25% interest, joined to it with min. $1 balance. If you have savings or debt of over $50K then you don't pay the $4. Whoopeedoo!!
Old Oct 5th 2007, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

Check which banks charge you for using other banks ATM's (usually about $1.50). Quote.

Suncorp charges $4.50 from my memory!
Old Oct 5th 2007, 10:19 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond repute

Pray tell - explain ??

Originally Posted by NJJ
Comments??

They are all scum, sub-human scum.
Old Oct 5th 2007, 10:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

Westpac are the spawn of the devil.
Old Oct 5th 2007, 10:52 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rosscarbery
Lovely adverts though, they are like totally environmentally concerned maaaaaan ...
Old Oct 5th 2007, 1:29 pm
done and dusted

maverik1979 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rosscarbery
why?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.