Reload this Page >

An Australian 21yr old with British born parents

An Australian 21yr old with British born parents

Old Sep 8th 2011, 4:18 pm
Just Joined

Cadjag1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default An Australian 21yr old with British born parents

Hello, I'm wanting to get dual citizenship Australia/England
and British passport just want to know if I'm eligible?

I was born in 1990 in Australia. I have Australian passport
And citizenship.Both my parents were Born in England, and moved to Australia as young children and Both Of my grandparents were all born in england as well.
Old Sep 8th 2011, 4:34 pm

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: An Australian 21yr old with British born parents

Hi and welcome to BE. This part of the site is about Australian immigration and citizenship, but there are a couple of regular posters who advised on UK matters in the past as well. Just hang around for a bit, some will get you an answer.
Old Sep 8th 2011, 4:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

I'm British, born in the UK and my OH is Australian, born in Australia. Both our kids were born in Australia and have dual nationality, with British and Australian passports, so do I, as I am a citizen here. Getting the passports was relatively easy, you just have to go to an Australia Post branch that handles British passport applications. You can download the forms, get your photos and forms signed, and take these along with your birth certificate to your passport interview. There's a link somewhere on BE with all the details.
Old Sep 8th 2011, 8:19 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cadjag1
Hello, I'm wanting to get dual citizenship Australia/England
and British passport just want to know if I'm eligible?

I was born in 1990 in Australia. I have Australian passport
And citizenship.Both my parents were Born in England, and moved to Australia as young children and Both Of my grandparents were all born in england as well.
Have a look at the links from the first post of this thread
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=609751
Will help you work out how to get a UK passport
Old Sep 8th 2011, 10:27 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Short answer - YES you are entitled to a British passport.

However, since you werent born in UK your kids wont be entitled to a British passport unless they are born in the UK. The 'descendant' rules for citizenship only extend back 1 generation.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 5:11 am
Forum Regular

bumble69 will become famous soon enoughbumble69 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by DadAgain
However, since you werent born in UK your kids wont be entitled to a British passport unless they are born in the UK. The 'descendant' rules for citizenship only extend back 1 generation.
Could they qualify through the other parent if the other parent was born in UK? (not that it matters particularly in this case, but hey).
Old Sep 9th 2011, 5:34 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bumble69
Could they qualify through the other parent if the other parent was born in UK? (not that it matters particularly in this case, but hey).
Yes - absolutely. If either parent was born in the UK then the child has British Citizenship.