Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia Working Hours

Australia Working Hours

Old Dec 25th 2002, 9:07 am
manish_deshmukh

Talking Australia Working Hours

As an engineer in electrical power system design I am interested in knowing how are the office working hours in Oz . Do people follow strict timings or do they overstay in office. How are the weekly / yearly holidays .

Manish

Old Dec 25th 2002, 10:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Stan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant future

Standard week typically thirty eight hours, say 8.15-5 with an hour's lunch break. Nine paid public hoildays, only twenty days paid holiday per annum (some of which my be imposed on you between Xmas/NY), paid long service leave after ten years continuous employment (no benefit whatsoever if an employer retrenches you before the ten is up), an extra amount of X% paid into a pension plan (called superannuation in Australia), some of which is taxed some of which is channelled to life insurance some of which is spirited away in fees the rest of which falls or rises with the whim of the stock market.

As an Engineer you'll probably find yourself working ten hours Mon - FRi and perhaps Saturday mornings too. You may or may not get paid extra for that.

You probably won't enjoy the extra 13 RDOs (rostered days off) that the guys on the site may do (they 'pay' for that by working a 40 hour week rather than a thirty eight hour week). You probably won't get 17.5% leave loading that the guys on the site do.
Old Dec 26th 2002, 2:56 am
Forum Regular

captaincook is an unknown quantity at this point
Default also important to consider

also have to consider working conditions

unfortunately most australian employers make scrooge mcduck look positively charitable. The history of high unemployment has given the employer the upper hand and they expect the shirt from your back day in day out. if you do not give it then there are plenty more that will be prepared to do so !

most australians are free with voicing an opinion and particularly like being critical of others. unfortunately given they live in australia they do not have much opportunity to be heard and as all australians never listen to each other then its very hard for them. accordingly any power at work goes to their head and they make the most of their opportunities - the australians invented the do as i say not as i do style of management.