Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia-where to live and work

Australia-where to live and work

Old Feb 2nd 2009, 1:50 pm
Just Joined

Bubbachunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Australia-where to live and work

Hey everyone!if anyone has the time to read and reply it would be a great help to me and my girlfriend....

we live in north london and are planning on coming to australia around october, granted when/if we get a working visa.we are planning on staying for 3 months possibly longer but at the moment just dont know where to stay and rent?could a hostel put us up?

im a bricklayer and have been for two years after slaving away as a hoddy for 4 years but i would like to here from any bricklayers that have moved out to aus and just give me some info really..areas of work.pay.travel to work???

my gf works for natwest bank so she has some good skills within that area but during our stay she probably couldnt get a short term job with a bank? so she would maybe get part time job.

also,how much money would you recommed on having as a back up to going...although we want to experiance life there and do put some work in,we dont know the cost of living and renting and travelling etc..

so,any help,info would be brilliant!!!!

steve
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 7:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: AuSSIE BRICKLAYERS!! I NEED INFO PLEASE!?

I have limited knowledge but if you are going for 3 months you will only get a temporary holiday visa and you CANNOT work during that time. These visas last 3 months only.

If you are below a certain age (30 I think) you can get a working holiday visa which allows you to be on holiday and work for 1 year.

If you are over 30 then you need to apply for a visa appropriate to your Skills but that's where I am just learning too. Bricklaying is on the shortage list but you need to have certain qualifications and/or experience. I don't think banking is on the list.

If you look at the top of the page at the search button and look through all the bricklaying threads there is loads of information on there. I have been looking at them too.

Good luck. Others more knowledgable will be along to answer better than I can but I didn't want to read and run.
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

bu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of light

6 Years experience with references........or is that just for a permanent visa?
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 9:29 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kingseat
Bricklaying is on the shortage list but you need to have certain qualifications and/or experience.
Correct me if I am wrong, but I am sure I saw someone post that it was dropped from the list on the 12th of Jan?
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 7:48 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia-where to live and work

Originally Posted by Bubbachunk
Hey everyone!if anyone has the time to read and reply it would be a great help to me and my girlfriend....

we live in north london and are planning on coming to australia around october, granted when/if we get a working visa.we are planning on staying for 3 months possibly longer but at the moment just dont know where to stay and rent?could a hostel put us up?

im a bricklayer and have been for two years after slaving away as a hoddy for 4 years but i would like to here from any bricklayers that have moved out to aus and just give me some info really..areas of work.pay.travel to work???

my gf works for natwest bank so she has some good skills within that area but during our stay she probably couldnt get a short term job with a bank? so she would maybe get part time job.

also,how much money would you recommed on having as a back up to going...although we want to experiance life there and do put some work in,we dont know the cost of living and renting and travelling etc..

steve
I'd recommend that you check out Lonely Planet's Thorntree forum. Full of people who are here on WHVs - they will be able to tell you all about hostels, where to go, what to see and how much it all costs.

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntre...&keywordid=163

Have to say it's a bit of a waste of a year's working holiday visa if you're only going to use about three months of it. It would be better to commit for a whole year. You only get one per lifetime (unless you work on a farm for three months)...
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 8:19 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your reply nickyc,
i totally agree with what your saying.me and my gf have this '3 months idea' in mind to try and just experiance what life there could be like instead of at the moment, a snowy london!.... but the main reason is because my gf works for natwest (RBS) bank,she gets to have i think at the most 6 months off work (could be wrong,iv just txtd her to double check) travelling and still have her job when she comes back..but ill defo check out the link to the website you have given me,thanks.

from reading past threads i understand you need a liscence to be a bricky out there,how do you obtain one?

i must also mention that every question im asking will get answered at an australian expo im going to in march at chelsea football club but i wanna talk to the people living there in oz..

all best

steve!
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 10:51 pm
Forum Regular

easty1976 has a brilliant futureeasty1976 has a brilliant futureeasty1976 has a brilliant futureeasty1976 has a brilliant futureeasty1976 has a brilliant futureeasty1976 has a brilliant future

You only need a licence if you are going to be doing subbying work. If you work for a company all you need is the relevant OH&S Induction card(similar to CSCS) from whichever state you are considering working in.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 10:03 am
Just Joined

thanks easty
Old Feb 4th 2009, 11:49 am
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bubbachunk

steve
Mate your both wasting your time , save up a bit get 3 months off and see the place knock this working lark on the head.

I cant say this enough

Its hard enough to get a job here dont waste your time , build up some cash (sell a kidney) and see the place.