Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia ...or where else

Australia ...or where else

Old Jan 21st 2004, 1:32 am
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough
Default Australia ...or where else

SO most people on here are living in Aus, or wearing the rose tinteds and trying to get in.

But where in the world would you really like to live?

And lets for the sake of argument assume you can retain whatever income you are on now and that you can afford say a 3 bed detatched house in your chosen destination (or similar unit if applicable).

What I'm trying to say is lets avoid the "I'd like to live in Sydney, but I like Brissy better because I can afford a bigger house" type reply.
Old Jan 21st 2004, 1:46 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia ...or where else

Originally posted by RichS
SO most people on here are living in Aus, or wearing the rose tinteds and trying to get in.

And lets for the sake of argument assume you can retain whatever income you are on now and that you can afford say a 3 bed detatched house in your chosen destination (or similar unit if applicable).

What I'm trying to say is lets avoid the "I'd like to live in Sydney, but I like Brissy better because I can afford a bigger house" type reply.
Well, I'm currently just up the road from you in Coogee, which really suits me fine and I have no complaints at all - BUT if I could move anywhere else as no cost - I'd go up the road a bit further and buy myself a nice little house on the harbour at Watsons Bay.

And if it wasn't asking too much I'd also like to buy myself a nice little house on the water at Port Douglas for holidays. (Then I'd be REALLY happy!).
Old Jan 21st 2004, 1:48 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

I could handle any of these.

Secluded English countryside, but around an an hour from London.

Vancouver Canada, North shore, snowy mountains in Winter, Warm beaches in summer and cheap shops in between, and USA 20 mins away.

Conetticut, always fancied one of those snow blown wooden colonial houses that drop golden leaves in fall and have lovely summers and are a couple of Hours from New York.

In other words, I want Countryside, seasons, shops, and a big City pretty close for those boring moments.

Australia would not be on my list at all.
Old Jan 21st 2004, 1:49 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Bronte or La Plagne, preferably both.
Old Jan 21st 2004, 1:54 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

If it's anywhere in the world - it definitely wouldn't be here in Australia, it would be back home, after that it would be Patagonia
If you want a Place in Aus - it would be Tasmania, it's the only place to me that looks really beautiful
Old Jan 21st 2004, 2:00 am
ABCDiamond

Wow, what a question !

I've always said Switzerland, a nice little village called Gruyer, but then i'd get a bit bored I think.

So, in reality, and while thinking very hard.......

There's a nice house just 5 minutes away from me, that would do me very nice. Absolute waterfront.

I've not thought of it this deeply before, but i think I am just about where I want to be. Or maybe Wellington Point, about 15 minutes away.

Old Jan 21st 2004, 2:13 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

A cave with a gold reef in the back going around 300 g / tonne and about 1 m wide on a tall eucalypt forested hillside leading down to a sweet water permanent creek, about 2 km from a bush pub.
Old Jan 21st 2004, 2:18 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

The Island of Menorca - villa and no need for a job! Close enough to Mainland Europe for a life and far enough and backward enough to relax. The lack of opportunity in IT!!!! meant this dream was never really on the cards hence the choice of Aus.

If we stay the distance in Oz, I think Port Stephens region NSW to retire - mind you I want at least 2 acres near beach! I think this might be a pipe dream.

My Dad lives in Vancouver and my mum in Spain, brother in Scotland and Sister in England and other family back in Ireland - so I get to visit if not live in lots of excellent places.

Cheers Sandra
Old Jan 21st 2004, 2:26 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Interesting thread. I wonder if a lot that come to OZ first looked at getting into the USA but it was too difficult.

I have never thought of OZ as much like the USA but when you think about the amount of people who call it americanised I can see it.

Life in a car, junk food, big distances to drive, Plastic suburbs, cities centres that are new hence the hi-rise buildings.

So is OZ the new america if you cant get the real one
Old Jan 21st 2004, 2:32 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by dotty
Interesting thread. I wonder if a lot that come to OZ first looked at getting into the USA but it was too difficult.

I have never thought of OZ as much like the USA but when you think about the amount of people who call it americanised I can see it.

Life in a car, junk food, big distances to drive, Plastic suburbs, cities centres that are new hence the hi-rise buildings.

So is OZ the new america if you cant get the real one
Definitely not Dotty

Spent 6 months in California about 40 miles from San Fran and there is no way I would have moved family there. It was a serious option for me with my company but lucky for me they agree to let me transfer to Aus.

Aus is americanised to a degree but then those lifestyle influences are all over the world now - Micky D's in red square I hear. When I grew up in Belfast at aged 18 the only MacDonalds was in Dublin! 100 miles away.
Old Jan 21st 2004, 4:23 am
BE Enthusiast

I'll go for these:

1. Barcelona
2. La Jolla CA
3. Montpellier

Don't have a compelling desire to live in England again, though would like to be able to fly there a bit easier.

Seen plenty of places around Aus that would be nice to stay for a while, but given the ultimate choice I'm afraid geography would go against it.
Old Jan 21st 2004, 4:26 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

My problem is itchy feet from moving around all my life. Nowhere is home and there is always the next city. If I was offered New York or Tokyo and the offer was right I would be off.
Old Jan 21st 2004, 4:29 am
BE Enthusiast

BP - enough said. I think thats part of the reason I don't wish to go back to the UK, as I'd think then, with the little fellas being the age they are, that it was all over.
I know if I have to go back without really wanting to that I'll never shift the restless feeling. If/When I go to live in the Uk again I want to be really sure first.
Old Jan 21st 2004, 5:54 am
Forum Regular

Andy Pandy is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool

Originally posted by Sandra
The Island of Menorca - villa and no need for a job! Close enough to Mainland Europe for a life and far enough and backward enough to relax. The lack of opportunity in IT!!!! meant this dream was never really on the cards hence the choice of Aus.

If we stay the distance in Oz, I think Port Stephens region NSW to retire - mind you I want at least 2 acres near beach! I think this might be a pipe dream.

My Dad lives in Vancouver and my mum in Spain, brother in Scotland and Sister in England and other family back in Ireland - so I get to visit if not live in lots of excellent places.

Cheers Sandra
Hi Sandra,
We have been in Menorca for over 6 years, yes it is a beautiful place. However, we know exactly what you mean!!
Hence Aus.
Andrew & Beckie
Menorca, Spain
Old Jan 21st 2004, 5:57 am
Forum Regular

Andy Pandy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Andy Pandy
Hi Sandra,
We have been in Menorca for over 6 years, yes it is a beautiful place. However, we know exactly what you mean!!
Hence Aus.
Andrew & Beckie
Menorca, Spain

P.S. You wouldn't by any chance be interested in a nice pad out in Menorca for £500,000 would you ?

Andrew

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.