Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia..where the bloody hell are ya

Australia..where the bloody hell are ya

Old Aug 4th 2012, 6:13 am
BE Enthusiast

ProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia..where the bloody hell are ya

Originally Posted by Kim67
Terrible results for Australia, worst in 20 years. Maybe it's the new breed of parents that constantly blow wind up their offsprings backsides how they're the best thing since sliced bread and are invincible that are to blame. Let your kids live in the real world and teach them how to deal with disappointment I reckon. To me it's great to see Darcy bomb, arrogant, spoilt little turd should never have been let back on the team. About time we went back to the attitude of swimmers like Duncan Armstrong who came from nowhere and won gold with humility and good grace.
It's this sort of attitude that is the subject of much derision amongst Australians at the moment. Some people are just flying off the handle about how 'terrible' Australian athletes have been for winning silver instead of gold, and then going as far as attacking them personally and then trying to relate it to all Australians and how we all have work ethic issues and are 'spoilt little turds'.

This country has gone rabid in the last 5 years or so, people have just completely lost any sense of perspective. It's not an Aus vs the rest of the world, or in particular AUS v UK/ AUS v NZ/ AUS v Kazakhstan. It's about the best athletes in the country producing unbelievable efforts to place in the top 3 in the world in their respective sports.
Old Aug 4th 2012, 6:23 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ProudVIC
Huge beat up....

14 medals at around the halfway point of competition is hardly an abysmal or embarrassing performance. Everyone just focuses on the gold as if it is the only thing that counts, 9 silver medals is nothing to be sneezed at and in many cases there really isn't much in it between silver and gold.

BTW, Australia is an excellent chance for another 5+ gold.

I can still see Australia winning 6 or 7 gold medals along with a silver tally in the double figures. It's not as good as the past few Olympics but you have to be delusional to say it is a total embarrassment. Case in point, a comparable country (population wise) like Canada has no gold and only half the medals of Aus.
Good plan, focus on the total medals.

Chin up
Old Aug 4th 2012, 6:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

It's this sort of attitude that is the subject of much derision amongst Australians at the moment. Some people are just flying off the handle about how 'terrible' Australian athletes have been for winning silver instead of gold, and then going as far as attacking them personally and then trying to relate it to all Australians and how we all have work ethic issues and are 'spoilt little turds'.

This country has gone rabid in the last 5 years or so, people have just completely lost any sense of perspective. It's not an Aus vs the rest of the world, or in particular AUS v UK/ AUS v NZ/ AUS v Kazakhstan. It's about the best athletes in the country producing unbelievable efforts to place in the top 3 in the world in their respective sports.
I consider the antics of Nick Darcy to be that of a spoilt little turd. He punches someone in the face so hard that it smashes their jaw in several places and then has a tanty like a two year old for being kicked of the team. Instead of his parents being supportive but firm in saying, you've done the wrong thing, change your ways and try and work your way back into the good books of Australian swimming and the public, they publicly demand that he be reinstated. Eventually after four years he is reinstated and instead of keeping a low profile, he posts photos on social media hamming it up with guns. Not too smart.

I love watching the Olympics and can remember the days when this years medal tally would have been so exciting, to win just one gold was something we watched the whole games to see. You can win all the time and sometimes that can be a good thing, but I am embarrassed by the attitude shown by some of the athletes when they haven't won and by the stupid Australian media that turn on them as quickly as they 100th of a second they're beaten by. I think too much pressure it put on young heads and they're not taught how to cope with it.
Old Aug 4th 2012, 6:49 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kim67
I consider the antics of Nick Darcy to be that of a spoilt little turd. He punches someone in the face so hard that it smashes their jaw in several places and then has a tanty like a two year old for being kicked of the team. Instead of his parents being supportive but firm in saying, you've done the wrong thing, change your ways and try and work your way back into the good books of Australian swimming and the public, they publicly demand that he be reinstated. Eventually after four years he is reinstated and instead of keeping a low profile, he posts photos on social media hamming it up with guns. Not too smart.
...you forgot the bit where he declared bankruptcy to avoid paying damages to his victim as well.
Old Aug 4th 2012, 7:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by John Mc
Channel 9's coverage of the Olympics has been utterly horrendous. I went into this Olympics genuinly hoping the Australian's did well. After watching only Australian athletes, they do know on channel 9 there are more conutries involved right, I'm taking more and more pleasure in their failures

Go TeamGB! Beating the Aussies into Silver in so many events is hilarious
Originally Posted by Zen10
It's because they only show results and immediate to build ups to results, because all they're interested in is winning and results, not events for themselves. This is why you get to see 20 seconds of discus to see who qualified, or 60 seconds of swimming to see who won, and never a whole event. Another problem is that a good half of every hour is commercials, so there is very little time actually to show a whole event, even if the will was there.
Agree, Channel 9 has been woeful . . . no boxing, weightlifting, judo, fencing, christ the list of events i haven't seen is almost endless . . . just endless "and now back to the pool" to see a procession of underachievement and subsequent histrionics from athletes "meant" to win gold.

I blame ****ing Facebook.
Old Aug 4th 2012, 7:42 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Huge beat up....

14 medals at around the halfway point of competition is hardly an abysmal or embarrassing performance. Everyone just focuses on the gold as if it is the only thing that counts, 9 silver medals is nothing to be sneezed at and in many cases there really isn't much in it between silver and gold.

BTW, Australia is an excellent chance for another 5+ gold.

I can still see Australia winning 6 or 7 gold medals along with a silver tally in the double figures. It's not as good as the past few Olympics but you have to be delusional to say it is a total embarrassment. Case in point, a comparable country (population wise) like Canada has no gold and only half the medals of Aus.
It could easily be the worst performance in 30 years.
Old Aug 4th 2012, 7:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

It could easily be the worst performance in 30 years.
Worst performance for 36 years in the pool.
Old Aug 4th 2012, 7:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Camberwell/S.E London > Orpington > Mornington > heart will always be in Tullamore. Co Offaly
steve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to all

the best thing for me was hearing all week on the radio about its "the poms bloody party and when they gonna turn up for it " from the presenters

well we did and now its all gone quite ......... SSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHH !!!!!

and the missile ..... big yourself up when you've done something, not before

it makes you look a wee bit STUPID
Old Aug 4th 2012, 10:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

You lot are not doing a good job of not caring...decades of angst oozing out
Old Aug 4th 2012, 10:41 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Another 1st Loser medal for Oz, just beaten by GB in the Men's 4 rowing
Old Aug 4th 2012, 12:03 pm
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

all the brit golds are accompanied by oz silvers lol
Old Aug 4th 2012, 12:54 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I do love it when Aussies are chiming in with 'it's not all about gold' the Australian performance is bad, very bad and there is no other way of looking at it. From what I understand from what people have been saying the Aussies are still obsessed with their performance in relation to the UK, we hardly hear anything about Australia here, I know mostly because they are so low on the table they are irrelevant but we just dont see the crazy rivalry that is always dragged up in Oz.
Old Aug 4th 2012, 1:02 pm
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
I do love it when Aussies are chiming in with 'it's not all about gold' the Australian performance is bad, very bad and there is no other way of looking at it. From what I understand from what people have been saying the Aussies are still obsessed with their performance in relation to the UK, we hardly hear anything about Australia here, I know mostly because they are so low on the table they are irrelevant but we just dont see the crazy rivalry that is always dragged up in Oz.
The Australians have talked a fair bit about the British, which I hate because it makes them look parochial, but I understand because Britain obviously casts a long shadow over Australia. From the British perspective, they have lots of rivals in sport not least France, Germany and of course Argentina. A similar phenomenon occurs with the amount of time the British talk about the USA and take in American culture - when you go to the US you realize they never talk about Britain at all.

Australia would do well to let go of the "Pom" rivalry thing outside of cricket and move on. It is a small nation with a big future, the opposite of Britain, basically, and it needs to accept that role and be confident enough to stand on its own two feet without looking to Britain and America all the time. It also needs to get some people who can swim.
Old Aug 4th 2012, 1:06 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

It is a small nation with a big future, the opposite of Britain, basically, and it needs to accept that role and be confident enough to stand on its own two feet without looking to Britain and America all the time. It also needs to get some people who can swim.
Old Aug 4th 2012, 1:08 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by chris955
As a patriotic British person I hope you're not sincere when you "roll on the floor laughing" about my country's predicament. What's going on in the EU and Britain is bloody serious. I have a sense of humour but I don't think this is a subject for laughter at all. The economy is buggered.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.