Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia Vs Canada

Wikiposts

Australia Vs Canada

Old Jan 14th 2006, 9:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia Vs Canada

Why compare any two countries at all.

If life presents an opportunity grab it with both hands as you will regret it if you don't. If it's not at least 50% of what you expected then move on if you can. Life is for living and as my dear old Mum used to say

Treat every day like it's your last, cos one day it will be.
Old Jan 14th 2006, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

John has a reputation beyond reputeJohn has a reputation beyond reputeJohn has a reputation beyond reputeJohn has a reputation beyond reputeJohn has a reputation beyond reputeJohn has a reputation beyond reputeJohn has a reputation beyond reputeJohn has a reputation beyond reputeJohn has a reputation beyond reputeJohn has a reputation beyond reputeJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
I'd also add, I have found the arguments that have taken place in this thread hilarious (not actually the OP's fault given what he orginally asked). Instead of comparing Canada to Australia, let's compare tomatoes with oranges, or how about water with air ("water sucks, it's so wet", "oh yea, well air is like invisible and I don't trust anything I can't see"). I mean seriously, there's some ****ing huge fundamental differences (the climate being a good place to start) between the two countries that make any arguments, especially ones about things like the tax level on salted peanuts, as utterly mind-bogglingly irrelevant as they sound. For the most part, we all love the country we have moved to, whether it's Canada or Australia or outer-mongolia - why can't we just leave it at that and not indulge in some ****ing holy war to win converts over to our cause.
ROFL! Indeed... this reminds me of the legendary 'lettuce' thread.....
Old Jan 20th 2006, 1:24 am
Just Joined

Eastbam is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Australia Vs Canada

Originally Posted by Hutch
I'd also add, I have found the arguments that have taken place in this thread hilarious (not actually the OP's fault given what he orginally asked). Instead of comparing Canada to Australia, let's compare tomatoes with oranges, or how about water with air ("water sucks, it's so wet", "oh yea, well air is like invisible and I don't trust anything I can't see"). I mean seriously, there's some ****ing huge fundamental differences (the climate being a good place to start) between the two countries that make any arguments, especially ones about things like the tax level on salted peanuts, as utterly mind-bogglingly irrelevant as they sound. For the most part, we all love the country we have moved to, whether it's Canada or Australia or outer-mongolia - why can't we just leave it at that and not indulge in some ****ing holy war to win converts over to our cause.

Good point!
Old Jan 20th 2006, 7:19 am
Forum Regular

Princess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nice

Originally Posted by nicanjoe
Just wanted to mention, in Toronto Ontario Canada it's plus 9 today, Jan 13th. Been about that all week long. Just curious about a previous post, why would Ottawa be digging out Toronto? They're two different places.

Nicanjoe
My aunt who lives there says they are having a ridiculously mild winter this year. Three years ago they had temps of -40 degrees and it was a very severe winter. We went over there in May following that winter and I could not believe how coooold it was. There was still ice in the streets and no leaves on the trees. We then flew to the UK in the same month and I was amazed at the contrast - warm weather and all the flowers/leaves out.

Yep Canada does have a better standard of living, especially if you like shopping - the range! But culturally I prefer Australia. The sense of humour is more similar to Britain and for some reason I find Australians more open than Canadians. My relatives who live in and around Toronto are all foreign born with the exception of my cousins and they find Canadians hard to click with.

PL