Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia very Hard to get Job

Australia very Hard to get Job

Old Aug 19th 2003, 6:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Wilf is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Florida_03
You know the horrible thing is I DO feel more like a fool now than ever before. A close inlaw of mine was talking to me recently about his cash in hand jobs, he's a carpenter. He wanted me to help him answer questions for his contractor's licence. He has always made more than me in real terms. We're good friends but I'm feel more and more bitter. So fool me. Should have joined the crowd, but conscience is my pillow.

I hope you do not really mean that. Why should you feel a fool for doing the right thing? I know exactly what you mean when you get these people bragging about cash jobs. I could have done that sort of thing easily but also prefer a good night's sleep. It is not very fashionable to say so now in our world where what used to be considered beyond the pale is now policy of all governments (even ones who pretend to be labour parties) but I believe in paying taxes. Like you, I am sorry they are so large and I also feel daft sometimes, knowing that there are lots of people avoiding them, but what is the alternative? To try to hurry on a world with "survival of the fittest" rules and we are back to slums, real poverty, and misery?
Old Aug 19th 2003, 6:58 am
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Wilf
I hope you do not really mean that. Why should you feel a fool for doing the right thing? I know exactly what you mean when you get these people bragging about cash jobs. I could have done that sort of thing easily but also prefer a good night's sleep. It is not very fashionable to say so now in our world where what used to be considered beyond the pale is now policy of all governments (even ones who pretend to be labour parties) but I believe in paying taxes. Like you, I am sorry they are so large and I also feel daft sometimes, knowing that there are lots of people avoiding them, but what is the alternative? To try to hurry on a world with "survival of the fittest" rules and we are back to slums, real poverty, and misery?
I believe wholeheartedly in tax and know the burden would be less if every contribution was rightly made.

Your last point shows the danger and "The cult of the individual", will be our undoing!

I have often wondered whatever happened to that common spirit of citizenship so richly endowed by the likes of John F Kennedy. Where are the Statesmen?
Old Aug 19th 2003, 8:00 am
Forum Regular

Location: Woodcroft, 25 kms south of Adelaide South Australia
wizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the rough

I realised from Wilf's reply to what I said that he got my point exactly!

The job market is also not helped by many people having more than one job. For example........where I have started work recently there is a woman who now has 6 - yes SIX! jobs - and she works from 4.30am until 11.30pm usually seven days a week. Whilst I applaud her efforts to earn her own money and make her own way I know from bitter experience that this just takes the opportunity for employment away from those with no job.

I am also registered with ONE South Australian agency who have informed me quite proudly that they have over 40,000 South Australians on their books!! I am no mathematician but I do know that there are not that many unemployed people here. The last time this agency found me two evenings work the woman I sat next to at that time had FIVE jobs.

It is no wonder that many of us struggle to find even one job here. However I am happy - I have a job now, and yes it's bloody hard work, but I am off the dole and starting to plan to make my own way in life again. And I STILL do 3 days a week voluntary work as well to keep my sanity.
Old Aug 20th 2003, 2:28 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by wizzywozza
I realised from Wilf's reply to what I said that he got my point exactly!

The job market is also not helped by many people having more than one job. For example........where I have started work recently there is a woman who now has 6 - yes SIX! jobs - and she works from 4.30am until 11.30pm usually seven days a week. Whilst I applaud her efforts to earn her own money and make her own way I know from bitter experience that this just takes the opportunity for employment away from those with no job.

I am also registered with ONE South Australian agency who have informed me quite proudly that they have over 40,000 South Australians on their books!! I am no mathematician but I do know that there are not that many unemployed people here. The last time this agency found me two evenings work the woman I sat next to at that time had FIVE jobs.

It is no wonder that many of us struggle to find even one job here. However I am happy - I have a job now, and yes it's bloody hard work, but I am off the dole and starting to plan to make my own way in life again. And I STILL do 3 days a week voluntary work as well to keep my sanity.

The great Australian lifestyle , 6 jobs and still potless.

Old Aug 20th 2003, 4:49 am
BE Enthusiast

april is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by dotty
I beg to differ here. Been in Brisbane today, doing a business deal that will make a very tidy sum. I would post more details but some here have taken my money making snippits as bragging and that is not my intention.

There is money to be made here, however its probably not by working for someone else. Its by long hours, lots of research, yep I spend heaps of time on the Net, researching my business (hence lots of dropping in here as a bonus hard graft and taking a few risks.

We know plenty of well off people here, but all of them have their own business and all do really bizarre hours. I often start work at 6 am. I cant think of a better place for new business opportunities, its a new country, quite a way behind the majority of western cultures, great place to bring in the new.

Oz is not perfect for me, does not suit my active brain, however I think its a great place to own a business if you have the guts and graft to put in.

Come out take a so so job for a while to pay the bills, while you work a business plan, work out how many aussies you are going to employ not which aussie will employ you.

I hope someone heeds your words i'ts good advice