Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia very Hard to get Job

Australia very Hard to get Job

Old Aug 15th 2003, 4:22 pm
owieb

Originally posted by dotty
I beg to differ here. Been in Brisbane today, doing a business deal that will make a very tidy sum. I would post more details but some here have taken my money making snippits as bragging and that is not my intention.

There is money to be made here, however its probably not by working for someone else. Its by long hours, lots of research, yep I spend heaps of time on the Net, researching my business (hence lots of dropping in here as a bonus hard graft and taking a few risks.

We know plenty of well off people here, but all of them have their own business and all do really bizarre hours. I often start work at 6 am. I cant think of a better place for new business opportunities, its a new country, quite a way behind the majority of western cultures, great place to bring in the new.

Oz is not perfect for me, does not suit my active brain, however I think its a great place to own a business if you have the guts and graft to put in.

Come out take a so so job for a while to pay the bills, while you work a business plan, work out how many aussies you are going to employ not which aussie will employ you.
That's great to hear dotty, and it is good that people do take the initiative and try and start something themselves. But you read a lot of the posts on this forum and people are just expecting to come out and have everything fall into their laps! As you've said yourself it takes guts and graft.

I came out here, got some work for a while in Perth, whilst working on bringing work over from the UK. Now that's all in place, I work from home doing stuff for UK clients and stuff for Perth clients.

Old Aug 15th 2003, 4:37 pm
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all
Default Re: Australia very Hard to get Job

Originally posted by Florida_03
Me too...try UK or USA.
I seem to remember you saying you were unemployed. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old Aug 15th 2003, 4:44 pm
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all

Originally posted by Wilf
You will find that it is the most educated people with the best qualifications who find it hardest to get work here, and so one thing that is very important is not to blame yourself for the troubles you are having if you are one such. Oz has little need for educated people (though it is happy to keep producing them through its universities) and all the clever Ozzies leave for careers in the UK/US/Europe. Indeed, the cleverest bloke on this forum is an Ozzie forced overseas to follow his career.
My God you talk some crap Wilfo. 'Its very important not to blame yourself', what utter bollox. Everyone has to take responsibility for themselves.

I'm increasingly finding that what ever position you take on a given subject, all I have to do is take the opposite, and I automatically know I am right.

Go see your Dr. and beg him for a reality check up.
Old Aug 15th 2003, 5:06 pm
I'm lovin' it

Originally posted by Wilf
When I came here, like many tradesmen, I had never hit a nail in in the southern hemisphere, and I got a job straight away in my usual line.

Good luck.
Yet you've been in Aus all your 'adult life', your words. How is it you were a tradesman when you arrived?
Old Aug 15th 2003, 6:05 pm
Keelie

Don't mean to bore anyone with anecdotal tales of our time in Oz last month, but here's one for the carpenters.
My spouse struck up a conversation in a restaurant with a retired couple from Nottingam. People love to tell you their stories, and my spouse is a good listener.
Seems this couple emigrated with four kids in tow in the early 60's, couldn't find work in his carpentry trade, there was a recession, and he was forced for the first time ever, to go out on his own.
To make the story short...little by little he prospered beyond his wildest imagination.
His now grown sons have taken over his booming building business, and he and his wife are living the 'good life' .
So these success stories are out there...but usually for those who are willing to take a chance and be their own boss.

As for the woman who has had to take a job cleaning houses....have you thought of setting up your own house-cleaning business, employing mothers like yourself who can spare a few hours a day ?
"Where there's muck, theres money"

Old Aug 15th 2003, 8:42 pm
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Megalania
Distance learning? One road connected to many students. See how Eric Frey does it with computers.

Welcome Singers!

Hello, and welcome to the Vocal Release home page. I put up this site for people who are looking to learn how to sing for the first time the right way and singers who are interested in singing at star quality. And for people who sing karaoke or sing original material, but want to develop singing ability in the shortest time possible. Let me assure you, no matter what your voice sounds like now, it can be developed to astounding quality in a short amount of time.

Vocal Release
Hi MM,
Thanks for the link.

That's a very interesting idea. People always look at me as though I'm crazy when I tell them I had a sucessful career in showbiz and I gave it up to do a Computing degree, they are such opposites and here's Eric combining the two, nice one.
It's very true what he says, almost anyone can learn to sing well with the right coaching.

So tell me MM what's your connection with Vocal Release, are you a singer and have you tried the course? if so I'd be interesred to know what you thought of the course and if intend to continue with your singing in Oz.

Kind Regards
ACE
Old Aug 15th 2003, 9:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Originally posted by ACE
Dotty I like reading your posts, because although people say you are negative I think you are honest, very often witty and you post some excellent advice.

Wilf & PB also good realistic posts which are very hard to read for would- be immigrants like myself but nevertheless good preparation for the darker side of life in OZ. Like Dotty you both give good, often funny advice (when not engaged in a heated debate).

Please could you give me some advice. I am soon to graduate with a BSc hons in Computing I have no desire to work in IT I only did the degree to get me into OZ, as it turns out we don't need it but that's another story, anyway our plan is for my husband to continue working for BP and I plan to do a Post Grad Dip in education in Australia and teach.

My question is this what are prospects like for teachers in terms of employment(please don't say the words rural or remote) not wages(I know teachers wages are not brilliant) and would I stand more chance of getting a job if i do my PGDE when I get to Oz as oppossed to doing it here in the UK?

FYI we are looking to settle in WA and are prepared to live upto an hour outside the city costal suburbs not inland, which is the distance we live from London. I am 39 and my previous career, hence my work experience, is in theatre & TV actress/opera singer.

Many Thanks in anticipation of your replies.
ACE

Any advice from anyone else will also be most greatfully recieved.
Hi Ace
were you in any well known tv series?
debs
Old Aug 15th 2003, 9:21 pm
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by debsy
Hi Ace
were you in any well known tv series?
debs
Hi debsy,
TV wasn't my main thing but i did a few episodes of The Bill, Londons Burning that sort of thing, only small parts, a few TV & radio concerts and a Holsten pils commercial. I mainly did west end shows and national & international tours.
Kind Regards
ACE
Old Aug 15th 2003, 10:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by ACE
Dotty I like reading your posts, because although people say you are negative I think you are honest, very often witty and you post some excellent advice.

Wilf & PB also good realistic posts which are very hard to read for would- be immigrants like myself but nevertheless good preparation for the darker side of life in OZ. Like Dotty you both give good, often funny advice (when not engaged in a heated debate).

Please could you give me some advice. I am soon to graduate with a BSc hons in Computing I have no desire to work in IT I only did the degree to get me into OZ, as it turns out we don't need it but that's another story, anyway our plan is for my husband to continue working for BP and I plan to do a Post Grad Dip in education in Australia and teach.

My question is this what are prospects like for teachers in terms of employment(please don't say the words rural or remote) not wages(I know teachers wages are not brilliant) and would I stand more chance of getting a job if i do my PGDE when I get to Oz as oppossed to doing it here in the UK?

FYI we are looking to settle in WA and are prepared to live upto an hour outside the city costal suburbs not inland, which is the distance we live from London. I am 39 and my previous career, hence my work experience, is in theatre & TV actress/opera singer.

Many Thanks in anticipation of your replies.
ACE

Any advice from anyone else will also be most greatfully recieved.

Thats a bit hard to answer if I cant mention the R/R words because that is one of the biggest factors here. Oz churns out more teachers than it has jobs for. However you obviously have skills most applicants are not going to have, (the drama music side) I mean if you were going to bring that into it too?

I would not bother with any more qualifications if I could sing dance and act like that. Zillions of little aussie daughters here who simply adore the dancing acting singing thing, and zillions of mummys who would fork out a pretty hourly fee to have little Darleene taught by some an English Actor Opera Singer!
(Dont ever underestimate the snob value here its big and you could well cash in.
Old Aug 15th 2003, 11:23 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by ACE
Hi MM,
Thanks for the link.

That's a very interesting idea. People always look at me as though I'm crazy when I tell them I had a sucessful career in showbiz and I gave it up to do a Computing degree, they are such opposites and here's Eric combining the two, nice one.
It's very true what he says, almost anyone can learn to sing well with the right coaching.

So tell me MM what's your connection with Vocal Release, are you a singer and have you tried the course? if so I'd be interesred to know what you thought of the course and if intend to continue with your singing in Oz.

Kind Regards
ACE
I dare not sing even under water. Just thought you might build on your existing skills. Probably a hard road at first and you probably have to be highly adaptive but like everything with reasonable potential, stick to it and it will eventually work.
Old Aug 15th 2003, 11:40 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

I would not bother with any more qualifications if I could sing dance and act like that. Zillions of little aussie daughters here who simply adore the dancing acting singing thing, and zillions of mummys who would fork out a pretty hourly fee to have little Darleene taught by some an English Actor Opera Singer!
(Dont ever underestimate the snob value here its big and you could well cash in.
Time after time, you trot out to snob card at the least provocation!

Did you step off the lowest rung of the British social ladder or is your intention to distinguish your self from those one rung below?
Old Aug 15th 2003, 11:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Time after time, you trot out to snob card at the least provocation!

Did you step off the lowest rung of the British social ladder or is your intention to distinguish your self from those one rung below?

You have the problem with it not me, most who have lived here admit the suburban environment breeds snobbery. Some have gone as far as saying its worse here than in the UK.

Not into it myself, live in the trees when I could easily afford waterfront, drive a truck not the coveted BMW they all want here.

Does not escape my notice tho and if this lady can get a business opportunity through it why not?
Old Aug 16th 2003, 12:04 am
Banned

You have the problem with it not me, most who have lived here admit the suburban environment breeds snobbery. Some have gone as far as saying its worse here than in the UK.

Not into it myself, live in the trees when I could easily afford waterfront, drive a truck not the coveted BMW they all want here.

Does not escape my notice tho and if this lady can get a business opportunity through it why not?
My problem with it is that I never see it, perhaps I'm blind or hunt with dingoes not hounds. So I say your advice to count on cashing in on snobs may lead to slim pickings.
Old Aug 16th 2003, 12:13 am
ACE
BE Forum Addict

Thats a bit hard to answer if I cant mention the R/R words because that is one of the biggest factors here. Oz churns out more teachers than it has jobs for. However you obviously have skills most applicants are not going to have, (the drama music side) I mean if you were going to bring that into it too?

Hi Dotty thanks for the reply.

I had not thought of going back to teaching dance/drama (used to teach the little darlings in Italy) I was thinking more along the lines of teaching general primary and incorporating the performing style into my teaching methods or perhaps teaching ICT & maths at high school level hence my plan to do a PGDE.

But if there is one thing I have learnt from life and indeed from this forum is that todays' job market is very competitive and it pays to keep your options open, so I think I may well be getting the old tap and ballet shoes out of the attic.

Many Thanks
ACE
Old Aug 16th 2003, 12:41 am
ACE
BE Forum Addict

I dare not sing even under water. Just thought you might build on your existing skills. Probably a hard road at first and you probably have to be highly adaptive but like everything with reasonable potential, stick to it and it will eventually work.
Hi Meg,
I very rarely sing professionally now, I enjoyed all the travelling but I have two children and don't want to be away from them. I do the odd wedding or christening for some easy cash or for friends and family.

I mainly sing to the children now, my seven year old get's embarassed when I sing in the car as he thinks passers by and other motorist might think i'm a bit nutty unless he's tired then he's quite happy for me to sing him to sleep. However, if we are at home and I start warbling he makes a hastey retreat. The baby loves it though, no choice he is only 4 months old and couldn't escape if he wanted to.

Kind Regards
ACE

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.