mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Australia very Hard to get Job

It depends what you do....I think.

Mash..
Originally posted by andi
Its very hard here in Australia to Find a JOb
Old Aug 14th 2003, 7:36 am
owieb

I was very lucky and found a job within a few days of arriving, but I had been working on contacts for about 4 months.

I came out for a couple of weeks, made some contacts then, kept in touch with them whilst back in England and luckily had some interviews lined up when I arrived!

Same thing happend with my girlfriend, we both started work on the same day!

But recently it has got a lot worse, my girlfriend left her job and it took her 3 months to find another one.

Good luck anyway!

Old Aug 14th 2003, 8:21 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

For a lot of jobs, particularly in the public sector you have to write a response to selection criteria. The way you do it is very important.

It isn't something I've ever come across in the UK but very important here for lots of jobs.

Find out more here:

http://www.csd.uwa.edu.au/job/guide/sec_3_5.htm
Old Aug 14th 2003, 8:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Sunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by Florida_03
Me too...try UK or USA.
Why mock him ? Assuming ofcourse that's he genuine (which is always debatable on this forum), it's obviously a real concern.
Old Aug 14th 2003, 9:33 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Sunlover
Why mock him ? Assuming ofcourse that's he genuine (which is always debatable on this forum), it's obviously a real concern.
Florida_03 is off to Florida in 2003 for a job in his chosen field.
Old Aug 14th 2003, 10:54 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

i,ve been in the employment sector for 34 yrs and never been unemployed, do you mean you cant get a job in your field?...... MM
Old Aug 14th 2003, 11:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wilf is an unknown quantity at this point

You will find that it is the most educated people with the best qualifications who find it hardest to get work here, and so one thing that is very important is not to blame yourself for the troubles you are having if you are one such. Oz has little need for educated people (though it is happy to keep producing them through its universities) and all the clever Ozzies leave for careers in the UK/US/Europe. Indeed, the cleverest bloke on this forum is an Ozzie forced overseas to follow his career.
Old Aug 15th 2003, 1:47 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Hi Andi

I really do think it depends on what you do, what you are prepared to do and what your expectations are. Also that good old thing called luck comes into it too.

What DO you do Andi?

diane
Old Aug 15th 2003, 1:53 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

How cheap is it too you to employ you like how low can you go, set your sights low and its easy if you want a living wage not so great.

Old Aug 15th 2003, 2:16 am
Forum Regular

Kath will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by renth
For a lot of jobs, particularly in the public sector you have to write a response to selection criteria. The way you do it is very important.

It isn't something I've ever come across in the UK but very important here for lots of jobs.

Find out more here:

http://www.csd.uwa.edu.au/job/guide/sec_3_5.htm
Thanks for this Renth - I've applied for several jobs requiring 'selection criteria' but after hours of preparation I haven't even got an interview! It's really frustrating, I've never experienced anything like this back in England. I've applied for several part time Secretarial / PA jobs around the Perth area, I'm very well qualified, worked for a Company Secretary & Finance Director in a large UK multinational.

I think it's because I'm going for part time work to fit in with my children, ie. popular hours. Also, I wonder if it's because I haven't got any Aussie work experience?

In the true migrant spirit I'm getting my head down and found work locally - housework.... urgh!! My husband's work is going well, he found work immediately. I'll keep trying
Old Aug 15th 2003, 2:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Wilf is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Kath
Thanks for this Renth - I've applied for several jobs requiring 'selection criteria' but after hours of preparation I haven't even got an interview! It's really frustrating, I've never experienced anything like this back in England. I've applied for several part time Secretarial / PA jobs around the Perth area, I'm very well qualified, worked for a Company Secretary & Finance Director in a large UK multinational.

I think it's because I'm going for part time work to fit in with my children, ie. popular hours. Also, I wonder if it's because I haven't got any Aussie work experience?

In the true migrant spirit I'm getting my head down and found work locally - housework.... urgh!! My husband's work is going well, he found work immediately. I'll keep trying
Is your husband in a trade? If so, your experiences are consistent with my opinion of Oz. White collar immigrants find it hard to get jobs consistent with their skills and experience - not even at the same level because that would, to Oz, be asking far too much, but at any level within their usual area of work - whilst tradesmen have few problems, as long as they are prepared to accept about $35,000 per year. The "oz experience" thing is their useful excuse to keep away accusations of anti-immigrant practices when it comes to white collar jobs. In trades, it is different and they will accept poms because they have to (shortages). There is no level playing field in Oz for white collar workers and I have seen this demonstrated time after time here. The only professionally qualified poms I see getting jobs here are computer people and they do not do all that well these days either - witness Kiwipaul, for example, who can only get a 3 month temp contract that he has to continuously renew (as long as they want to) and do work at well below his skill level even though he has been in Oz for years.

I hope you get something more deserving of your skills soon, but if you find that you are starting to be perceived by the Ozzies as a cleaner because that is your last thing, and they are ignoring your previous career, as I have seen happen here to professional people, then you may like to be very careful of how you progress with your life here. Do not buy the bull of Oz employers with all this "Oz experience" rubbish. When I came here, like many tradesmen, I had never hit a nail in in the southern hemisphere, and I got a job straight away in my usual line.

Good luck.
Old Aug 15th 2003, 3:18 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Kath - I got through the selection criteria process to get into the pool for admin jobs for the health authority, that was for full time and part time work, I also passed the test stage but didn't go for the final interview cos I'd found suitable work by then. I can dig out what I submitted and email it to you if you like.

cheers
Diane
Old Aug 15th 2003, 3:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Can back that one up about trades people, my hubby is a printer and got work the first week here and we know quite a few other tradespeople that have no trouble getting work. Like you say the wages can be very poor. Certainly so in hubbys case. He thought about looking elsewhere but it seems the pay is the same all over.

Diane

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.