Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia V England Soccer

Australia V England Soccer

Old Oct 30th 2008, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

scooby3 is just really nicescooby3 is just really nicescooby3 is just really nicescooby3 is just really nicescooby3 is just really nicescooby3 is just really nicescooby3 is just really nicescooby3 is just really nicescooby3 is just really nice
Default Australia V England Soccer

Will Australia beat England if they meet at the 2010 World Cup in South Africa
Old Oct 30th 2008, 1:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia V England Soccer

It's called football!!!!

Keel
Old Oct 30th 2008, 1:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

wats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by scooby3
whats the point in this?
Old Oct 30th 2008, 1:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: In the tree across the road, watching you with binoculars.
elmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond repute

IF it's in SA.

It's unlikely as I remember Australia and the USA being seemingly cheated out of the last competition by bent (or incompetent) referees.
Old Oct 30th 2008, 3:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud of

The last game finished 3-1 to the Aussies back in 2003.

I was wearing my yellow shirt with pride the next day
Old Oct 30th 2008, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

noggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to all

Dont be bloody stupid..england play football..this mob dont...and friendlys dont count!!
Old Oct 30th 2008, 10:03 pm
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point

In a word. No.
Old Oct 31st 2008, 2:19 am
BE Enthusiast

tictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bibbs
The last game finished 3-1 to the Aussies back in 2003.

I was wearing my yellow shirt with pride the next day
The game you mention was a friendly when Sven experimented by playing a "full" side for one half of the match, and a team of largely uncapped players in the other half.

The Guardian described the match as follows:

"....the most meaningless friendly in a long time. Sven-Goran Eriksson plans to make so many substitutions, the linesman's numbers board should ideally carry a strobe warning for epileptics"

England fans don't generally regard it as a big event yet Aussies view it as their equivalent of winning the World Cup.

Interestingly, in *football*, Australia have only played England 6 times. The first match between the nations was at the SCG in 1980.

England's record is Won 3, Drawn 2 and Lost 1, with 6 goals for and 5 against

Despite the fact that many of Australia's players play in major leagues throughout the world, England's tactical-awareness and experience of major tournaments would see them beat Australia, though it would not be a walk in the park, just like any game played at this level.

Why do Australians still refer to the game as soccer when they have the Australian Football Federation (FFA) as their governing body?
Old Oct 31st 2008, 4:57 am
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

Originally Posted by elmtree
IF it's in SA.

It's unlikely as I remember Australia and the USA being seemingly cheated out of the last competition by bent (or incompetent) referees.
Nothing wrong with the ref at Aus vs Italy, Lucas Neil was a prat inevitable the Italian would go summersaults if he went near him in the box. And no Aus would probably not win right now, although I said that in 2003 and lost 50 quid to my Aussie mate.....
Old Oct 31st 2008, 5:01 am
Forum Regular

stewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to all

Mon the Aussies
Old Oct 31st 2008, 5:09 am
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

Does it really matter ... ?

No.

Wait until it happens, 'if' it happens ...

Then and only then will the Aussies get mullered.

Hope this helps ...

Old Oct 31st 2008, 6:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tictac
The game you mention was a friendly when Sven experimented by playing a "full" side for one half of the match, and a team of largely uncapped players in the other half.

The Guardian described the match as follows:

"....the most meaningless friendly in a long time. Sven-Goran Eriksson plans to make so many substitutions, the linesman's numbers board should ideally carry a strobe warning for epileptics"

England fans don't generally regard it as a big event yet Aussies view it as their equivalent of winning the World Cup.

Interestingly, in *football*, Australia have only played England 6 times. The first match between the nations was at the SCG in 1980.

England's record is Won 3, Drawn 2 and Lost 1, with 6 goals for and 5 against

Despite the fact that many of Australia's players play in major leagues throughout the world, England's tactical-awareness and experience of major tournaments would see them beat Australia, though it would not be a walk in the park, just like any game played at this level.

Why do Australians still refer to the game as soccer when they have the Australian Football Federation (FFA) as their governing body?
Big debate and battle still over the word. The one reason I find Foxtel acceptable is because they call the game I grew up with and love Football. I call it Football, allt Melbourne Victory fans call it football, and if you go into a pub in the Inner North of Melbourne you will find that these days the majority of punters will also call soccer = Football. Quite likely to find more Football fans in pubs around Brunswick and Northcote and Carlton these days than Aussie rules followers.

There has been a quantum leap in the way football is viewed over the last 10 years, consequently all Australian football followers have their eye on one team... As far as Aussies are concerned, there is no such thing as a friendly against England, how England views that is up to them, but it's a fact down this end.. Historically Australia and Australians have always measured their teams success by trying to beat and eventually dominate England. That process has just began in this Country with real football. We all know what happens eventually when Australians get the bit between their teeth in the sporting arena.

I've got the strongest feeling in my bones, like destiny, that Australia will draw England if they both make the world cup. From that point on I view the difference as a well drilled Championship level TEAM.... playing a far more talented but less organised team.... Ergo in my opinion anything can happen, but I would honestly expect that Australia will be more fired up to win the game than England.

I can watch Australia play easily, the time zones are all correct for us... the media coverage is now great, I go to the A league games... I used to attend games religiously in England 30 years ago... but now is now and I really got fed up after 20 years here of being up in the small hours waiting for snippets of news and hanging on desperately to old allegiances.

Hence I say

COME ON AUSSIES...

How I feel on the day could actually change, such is the way football following runs through my blood.

Most likely I'll feel more sorry for the team that loses, than happy for the team that wins.

One major Irony for the AFL... The City that gave them Aussie Rules here in Melbourne, is probably also the City that is producing the culture that could end that dominance.

BTW want to see real Atmosphere, tense competition and a hard fought game of upper league 1 level ... perhaps even bottom championship... Foxtel tonight 8.00 pm... there will be plenty of MV fans in Adelaide.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Oct 31st 2008 at 6:32 am.
Old Oct 31st 2008, 6:31 am
BE Enthusiast

tictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Big debate and battle still over the word. The one reason I find Foxtel acceptable is because they call the game I grew up with and love Football. I call it Football, allt Melbourne Victory fans call it football, and if you go into a pub in the Inner North of Melbourne you will find that these days the majority of punters will also call soccer = Football. Quite likely to find more Football fans in pubs around Brunswick and Northcote and Carlton these days than Aussie rules followers.

There has been a quantum leap in the way football is viewed over the last 10 years, consequently all Australian football followers have their eye on one team... As far as Aussies are concerned, there is no such thing as a friendly against England, how England views that is up to them, but it's a fact down this end.. Historically Australia and Australians have always measured their teams success by trying to beat and eventually dominate England. That process has just began in this Country with real football. We all know what happens eventually when Australians get the bit between their teeth in the sporting arena.

I've got the strongest feeling in my bones, like destiny, that Australia will draw England if they both make the world cup. From that point on I view the difference as a well drilled Championship level TEAM.... playing a far more talented but less organised team.... Ergo in my opinion anything can happen, but I would honestly expect that Australia will be more fired up to win the game than England.

I can watch Australia play easily, the time zones are all correct for us... the media coverage is now great, I go to the A league games... I used to attend games religiously in England 30 years ago... but now is now and I really got fed up after 20 years here of being up in the small hours waiting for snippets of news and hanging on desperately to old allegiances.

Hence I say

COME ON AUSSIES...

How I feel on the day could actually change, such is the way football following runs through my blood.

Most likely I'll feel more sorry for the team that loses, than happy for the team that wins.

One major Irony for the AFL... The City that gave them Aussie Rules here in Melbourne, is probably also the City that is producing the culture that could end that dominance.
"We all know what happens eventually when Australians get the bit between their teeth in the sporting arena" - YEP - they pick up a few swimming medals

"I would honestly expect that Australia will be more fired up to win the game than England" - YEP - Little man's syndrome

"But now is now and I really got fed up after 20 years here of being up in the small hours waiting for snippets of news and hanging on desperately to old allegiances" - good point

Excellent post Ozzie
Old Oct 31st 2008, 9:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Barbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say 1-1

PS. That's football
Old Oct 31st 2008, 10:15 am
BE Enthusiast

yanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Three Legs
Does it really matter ... ?

No.

Wait until it happens, 'if' it happens ...

Then and only then will the Aussies get mullered.

Hope this helps ...

I think England mullering anybody in a major football competition is unlikely. They generally scrape through by the skin of their teeth.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.