Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia v Canada ????????

Australia v Canada ????????

Old Jul 17th 2008, 2:34 am
Forum Regular

tahititim is just really nicetahititim is just really nicetahititim is just really nicetahititim is just really nicetahititim is just really nicetahititim is just really nicetahititim is just really nicetahititim is just really nice
Default Re: Australia v Canada ????????

Originally Posted by Dorothy
This part made me laugh out loud. Toronto is lovely? Compared to WHAT? Toronto is dirty, polluted and grey. Mississauga, Ajax and Oshawa nice suburbs? I think you need to give your head a little shake. You have obviously been out of Canada too long.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 2:38 am
Forum Regular

tahititim is just really nicetahititim is just really nicetahititim is just really nicetahititim is just really nicetahititim is just really nicetahititim is just really nicetahititim is just really nicetahititim is just really nice

Originally Posted by JAJ
I don't know where you are getting your information from, but it's not true.
What do you mean??? It takes roughly a year to 2 to get a visa to Oz these days depending from which country you are migrating and what passport holder you are. same takes for Canada now, the line ups are shorter to Canada. I have several examples on both ends.
Cheers.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 2:41 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tahititim
What do you mean??? It takes roughly a year to 2 to get a visa to Oz these days depending from which country you are migrating and what passport holder you are. same takes for Canada now, the line ups are shorter to Canada. I have several examples on both ends.
Cheers.
Canada is taking 5 years unless you qualify for priority processing.

Australia around 12 months.

But every case is different.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 5:43 am
Happy mum of 2 Aussies

Wanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to behold

Hello,

I lived in Canada for ten years - the last 3 were in Toronto, before that in the country. Now I live in Brisbane, Australia and I've been here for 3 years and a bit.

Canada is a beautiful country - no doubt about it. But if it's outdoor activities you like, make sure you like playing in the snow for a good half of the year. The cold is bearable and sometimes even nice - if you dress properly. The summers there are amazing, but not very long. Spring and Autumn are beautiful times of the year.
Here in Queensland its beautiful all year round, but very hot in the summer, often too hot to move in the midday heat. You can do just about every outdoor activity you want all year round, except snow sports. For that you have to travel to the Southern areas of Australia where they have a short snow season, or fly over to New Zealand, where I have been told they have amazing snow in the winter.

You can't compare the wildlife - they are both spectacular in their own way - and so totally different. I miss seeing moose and deer when driving in Northern Ontario, but then I wouldn't pass up seeing Emu running through the bush. )

Australia and Canada are both very spacious - you have to drive a loooong way to get from one major city to another. But Canada does have the advantage of being next door to the USA for travel options, and also a LOT closer to the UK than Australia. It's cheaper and easier to hop back to the UK for a visit from Canada than it is from down here.

Both countries are very multicultural, though Australians do have a much stronger identity than Canadians in my opinion.

Personally I prefer Australia. I love the sunshine, the wide blue skies, the sea, the bush and I think the people here are great. Besides, I hate having cold toes and fingers and the looooong wait for Spring that came each year in Canada. I was not a winter sports person, so I didn't enjoy that season as much as I could have.
But I miss the easier travel options I had in Canada.

If you do choose Canada - I agree that the West Coast is the nicest. Vancouver is wonderful!

W.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 6:38 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
Canada is taking 5 years unless you qualify for priority processing.

Australia around 12 months.

But every case is different.
This is news tome. I know a number of families here and it took about 2 years for all of them, I am an immigrant myself over here, I also know people for whom it took 24 months to get Ozzie visas (looks like it is unusual). I guess it is different for each case. .
Old Jul 17th 2008, 6:40 am
Forum Regular

If you do choose Canada - I agree that the West Coast is the nicest. Vancouver is wonderful!

W. [/QUOTE]

Thank you

But I same as you prefer......sunshine....
Old Jul 18th 2008, 2:18 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tahititim
This is news tome. I know a number of families here and it took about 2 years for all of them, I am an immigrant myself over here, I also know people for whom it took 24 months to get Ozzie visas (looks like it is unusual). I guess it is different for each case. .
Before 2003/04 there was less difference in processing times than is the case now.