Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

australia v canada

australia v canada

Old Oct 7th 2004, 10:15 am
Just Joined

dylan101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default australia v canada

Been reading all the messages about canada and most of it seems very disheartening. what is the process for australia and how long does it take. i am currently working as a community cardiac nurse (g grade) with a degree and a nurse prescribing qualification. I also have 6 years itu experience. I would be prepared to do either. My husband is a software developer with 5+ years experience with a masters degree. Does anyone know what the job situation would be for him? Any comments or advice would be much appreciated
Old Oct 7th 2004, 10:22 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: australia v canada

Originally Posted by dylan101
Been reading all the messages about canada and most of it seems very disheartening. what is the process for australia and how long does it take. i am currently working as a community cardiac nurse (g grade) with a degree and a nurse prescribing qualification. I also have 6 years itu experience. I would be prepared to do either. My husband is a software developer with 5+ years experience with a masters degree. Does anyone know what the job situation would be for him? Any comments or advice would be much appreciated
Not sure why you feel Canada is disheartening, but on the surface it looks like you would have a good chance of migration to Australia. Depends on age and a few other circumstances - start at http://www.immi.gov.au and start looking at the information on general skilled migration as a first option.

Ask questions about immigration on the immigration forum.

Jeremy
Old Oct 7th 2004, 11:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Edens Landing, half way between Brisbane and Gold coast
Paul&Ann-Marie will become famous soon enough

One thing canada would kick australia's arse in would be ice hockey, other than that i think it boils down to the temerature. jobs are great but think of all the ice you would have to scrape off your windscreen in the morning if you went to canada !!!!!

Paul.
PS, i like canada but find aus more appealing.Your skills would be required in aus ( no idea with canada)and as for jobs........shouldn't be a problem.
Old Oct 7th 2004, 11:25 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by dylan101
My husband is a software developer with 5+ years experience with a masters degree. Does anyone know what the job situation would be for him? Any comments or advice would be much appreciated

IT market is a bit shaky I think. My (Australian) partner does Software development/programming. He's been keeping his eyes open for a new job for a while, but can't find anything that'll pay him what he's on now to make it worth the move I think the situation in Melbourne and Sydney may be slightly better?? www.seek.com.au is a good place to have a look and get a general feel for the market.
Old Oct 7th 2004, 11:29 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

As someone who has lived in both Canada and Australia, I feel like I may give some insight here. (Though bear in mind it is just my opinion.)

Canada is beautiful! The four very different seasons give you a lift at the beginning of each one (Fall colours, first snow, fresh green of spring and summer sun.)
Jobs are pretty much available in your fields and I don't think you should have too much trouble.

Getting used to the cold can be difficult depending in where in Canada you choose to go. Language can be a barrier as well. (In Quebec, french is a must to survive) Holidays will be reduced to 2 WEEKS a year!!

I love Canada. It is my first home and I would hope that "disheartening" would not be the word to describe it.

Australia is beautiful in a different way. Beaches are gorgeous, reds are vibrant and there are only 2 seasons; winter, where it is mostly warm and comfortable, and summer...hot hot hot!

Also don't think you would have difficulty finding work here. Holidays remain the same 4 weeks to begin and 12 "family days" plus you are almost permanently in holiday mode anyway!

The heat can be hard to take and you are REALLY isolated from the rest of the world. Travel can be pricey and is invariably LONG.

I love Australia as well. It is my chosen home and I would encourage anybody thinking of immigrating to at least have an aussie holiday and give a go.

I know this probably helps you not at all when it comes to choosing between the two but it's my honest opinion.

Siren
Old Oct 8th 2004, 12:46 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siren
Jobs are pretty much available in your fields and I don't think you should have too much trouble.
The anecdotal evidence is that British people generally encounter fewer (note I said 'fewer' - not 'none') problems in getting UK educational qualifications and work experience accepted by Australian employers and official authorities, compared to the situation in Canada.

Although this depends on the profession/trade and the state/territory/province involved.

Many recruitment consultants in Australia have lived in the UK and are familiar with things there. This is less true for Canada.

Jeremy
Old Oct 8th 2004, 12:52 am
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by mlbonner
IT market is a bit shaky I think. My (Australian) partner does Software development/programming. He's been keeping his eyes open for a new job for a while, but can't find anything that'll pay him what he's on now to make it worth the move I think the situation in Melbourne and Sydney may be slightly better?? www.seek.com.au is a good place to have a look and get a general feel for the market.
This is JUST what I wanted to read before retiring for the night, thanks!
Old Oct 8th 2004, 1:29 am
wombat42

l don't trust those Canadian Mounties, when they say " we always get our man" l'm not sure what they are refering to.

Last edited by wombat42; Oct 8th 2004 at 1:31 am.

Old Oct 8th 2004, 1:30 am
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by wombat42
l don't trust those Canadian Mounties, when they say " we always get our man" l am not sure what they are refering to.
Buttered scones for tea though ...