Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia is too bloody far away....from everything

Australia is too bloody far away....from everything

Old Dec 30th 2014, 1:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia is too bloody far away....from everything

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Why do they "live behind fortifications" in Perth?
I took it as meaning people live a very home induced lifestyle in Perth where in Florence or Italy in general life is lived more out in the streets, away from their flats and more people orientated encounters.
Old Dec 30th 2014, 6:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
I took it as meaning people live a very home induced lifestyle in Perth where in Florence or Italy in general life is lived more out in the streets, away from their flats and more people orientated encounters.
Got it.
Old Dec 30th 2014, 8:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Molly Coddle
There seems to be a lot of people going back to the UK recently or not happy in Australia. I wonder why, apart from the fact it's far from everywhere.
Is the present economy a factor I wonder?
I think you'll find that the visa requirements are one issue and the older you get the more security you want. Many people can never really settle in Australia and realise it's not paradise. As Europeans, Europe has a great climate and with the right of free movement you have many options. I live in Ireland myself and have seen so many return from Australia in the last 2 years. One reason is it's home, cheaper real estate and the job market is picking up again. I can fly to London from Dublin in less than 1 hour 20 mins, Lisbon or Barcelona in 2 hours 40 mins etc. There are plenty of reasons, but for most it will also be family.
Old Dec 30th 2014, 11:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

All sound reasons above to pick one of the many European possible destinations to settle. The ease and relative simplicity of living is a very tempting proposition.
Old Dec 30th 2014, 10:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

When I first went to Australia in 1960, it took a month by ship and seemed even more remote than it does to-day. If I wanted to phone my parents in England, I had to make arrangements with the GPO in Adelaide for a time to be there, sit in the waiting room to be called, and then go to a specified booth to make the call.

Now everything is so easy. By plane it is only 24 hours, and if I want to phone, I could take a mobile out of my pocket and make the call. I've made the flights many times, and although they can be tiring, I've got them beaten psychologically, treated as short term adventures through airports. And they can be for me, I have a pacemaker so am searched by hand. I sometimes have to wait for someone to to do this, or I am taken to a private room. My iPad has even been taken to be checked for explosives, wonderful to have something different happen!

Yes Australia is far away from Europe, but travelling and living there we have made ourselves modern day adventurers and explorers. We are not the hoi polloi content to stay put, we have something else within us.
Old Dec 30th 2014, 10:57 pm
Forum Regular

Blackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve-n-jo
As those who have seen my other posts would be aware, I am not a fan of living in Australia and after nearly 10 years the novelty has truly worn off!!

.....Then I was thinking.. "Its too bloody far away, that's the main problem!"

Sounds like a stupid 'obvious' statement, but for years I have been telling myself "hey its not that far...only a day away"

It is not a day away... well actually it is, its a day away from practically everywhere and nearly two days away from England (our best travel time from door to door is 32 hours)

So if you want isolation, love spending hours getting anywhere, want to put visiting loved ones through the hell of very long haul flight and all the associated risks, and don't mind never being able to 'pop' anywhere... come to Australia where space and isolation are plentiful and the rest of the world 'aint that far away...on a jet!!'
I'm born and bred here and couldn't agree more with you mate.
I can't wait to get the hell out of here, I want/need a European fulltime residency, have a passion wanting to explore Europe and bury me there thanks, no interest in returning to oz at all.
I'm a single dad(Mr Mom) with 11yr old, thinking Spain as a base but legal/immigration restrictions being a nightmare I feel like I'm trapped in this penal colony.
Theres a whole big world out there and at 60 & a motorcycle freak I want to explore it.
Any ideas, I'm listening.
P.S: Apologies for jumping on your thread man.
Old Dec 30th 2014, 11:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Blackey_Oz
I'm born and bred here and couldn't agree more with you mate.
I can't wait to get the hell out of here, I want/need a European fulltime residency, have a passion wanting to explore Europe and bury me there thanks, no interest in returning to oz at all.
I'm a single dad(Mr Mom) with 11yr old, thinking Spain as a base but legal/immigration restrictions being a nightmare I feel like I'm trapped in this penal colony.
Theres a whole big world out there and at 60 & a motorcycle freak I want to explore it.
Any ideas, I'm listening.
P.S: Apologies for jumping on your thread man.
+1. A whole world waiting out there to be uncovered and explored.
Old Dec 30th 2014, 11:13 pm
Forum Regular

Blackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
+1. A whole world waiting out there to be uncovered and explored.
+1.
Exactly, seven yrs in the USA till '96 but never to Europe,
with 1/2 Italian (Mum's side) heritage my passion to go is at a fever-pitch, current oz anti-freedom legislations have stoked my fire to escape this penal colony,
some may say unfair with an 11yr old kid but be an education, for both of us.
Old Dec 30th 2014, 11:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

+1.
with 1/2 Italian (Mum's side) heritage my passion to go is at a fever-pitch, current oz anti-freedom legislations have stoked my fire to escape this penal colony,
Perhaps try a holiday first. The brochures of Torremolinos may not all its cracked up to be once you are there.
Old Dec 30th 2014, 11:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Have to say I find the Australian isolation something I don't like. It isn't just the country but also the cities. In the UK I could get to a load of major cities in an hour. Just not possible in Oz.

I once worked in Tunisia. Not only could I come home at weekends, but even pop home mid week for a night.
Old Dec 30th 2014, 11:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by verystormy
Have to say I find the Australian isolation something I don't like. It isn't just the country but also the cities. In the UK I could get to a load of major cities in an hour. Just not possible in Oz.

I once worked in Tunisia. Not only could I come home at weekends, but even pop home mid week for a night.
I remember speaking with a visiting French chap once, he could not get over the fact that we can drive travel from Sydney to Perth and folks speak the same language.
Kind of put into perspective for me just how much we miss in experiencing different cultures, I want to be able to ride through as many countires as possible within hours/days of each other, this excites me.
Old Dec 31st 2014, 1:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

I remember speaking with a visiting French chap once, he could not get over the fact that we can drive travel from Sydney to Perth and folks speak the same language.
Kind of put into perspective for me just how much we miss in experiencing different cultures, I want to be able to ride through as many countires as possible within hours/days of each other, this excites me.
Don't let the poetry of it all get in the way of practicality. Bit like people from the UK moving to Oz to get the sun and the beach. At the end of the day, we need to make money in order to live. Just getting on your bike at the end of a days work and riding through the Alps is not an option if you are living in Paris making ends meat. So whilst Australia, a bit like the US, are vast countries where little changes as you travel across it, Europe is pretty big as well. Riding a bike through it is something you would plan and do as a few weeks holiday. Weekends away and short breaks, are best done by air and usually done by those who need spend their weeks earning a living.

Due to your immigration restrictions take a long biking holiday in the European summer. That would be an awesome experience.
Old Dec 31st 2014, 3:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Australia will seem pretty close once mankind starts colonizing Mars.

Happy New Year Everyone.
Old Dec 31st 2014, 4:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

+1.
11 year olds adapt quickly. The exposure to other languages will be worth its weight in gold. Spain is very diverse. Looked in 2001 to buy a place there but went away at the time unimpressed. A lot has happened since of course and prices have been driven way down.

Spain is the most popular country with foreigners and not difficult I'd imagine to find a place desirable to your specifications. Close to the Portugal border I'd probably go for but there are many to pick.

Prefer Portugal myself, but Malta also a favourite. Big Aussie connection there and worth checking out. Only a short flight or ferry ride to Italy .
Old Dec 31st 2014, 4:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Not only same language but pretty much same accent, state wise as well. Germany, France, Italy etc, have accents that in many cases are barely understandable to one another. I guess advantages and disadvantages to that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.