Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia is too bloody far away....from everything

Australia is too bloody far away....from everything

Old Dec 29th 2014, 2:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia is too bloody far away....from everything

Originally Posted by Molly Coddle

If there's one thing I've learnt from this whole process, it's this.....' If it isn't broken, don't try and fix it!'

You live and learn!
Were you actually trying to fix something in the first place by your move?
Old Dec 29th 2014, 2:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Not all of us are 'torn'....many are quite clear about where they would prefer to be.

Uprooting and moving after a few years is not as simple a process as some would have you believe.
Yep, I realise that.

Originally Posted by Beoz
Were you actually trying to fix something in the first place by your move?
Well, not really no, the whole getting the Visa was something that's been accumulating since the early 2000, we were young, our kids were young and at the time we thought it would offer us a better lifestyle. However when we got around to actually getting the Visa, our life was good, in nearly all ways, financially, mentally, physically, all good. But we had a Visa laying there in front of us, tempting us...Lol

I had read many a post on here and other forums about how people had struggled to get a Visa and what they had been through to get it. and I know this sounds silly but I kind of felt selfish in not taking the opportunity up that we had, which was to move to Oz on a PR visa, so we did, basically just because we could.

I'm glad I've done it, even if we don't stay, We have tried it. Lots don't even get that chance. But if I knew then what I know now. I would have probably stayed in the UK, we had it good, sometimes you have to have it tough to realise just how good you had it, if that makes sense....
Old Dec 29th 2014, 4:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

I feel for those of you who are torn between Australia and the UK.

That is a position I don't want to find myself in 5 years down the line, I can imagine it's not a nice place to be in. We have a week to make our minds up, due to my husbands employer needing to know. So, will we stay here in Australia or will we move back to England. We are in a position to do both. The easy option would be to move back. However, I do like Australia but I have to ask myself do I want it to be my home for the foreseeable future. Not sure. It's a tough one. My head feels like it's going to explode going over and over the pros and cons.

England offers us better education for the kids and more money, obviously we have family and friends there too, but I also have family and friends here, albeit not my childhood friends but friends none the less.
Australia offers us some fantastic weather which enables us to do all the things we love to do. I also love the overall optimistic attitude people have here, but is that enough to keep us here, I don't flipping know...

Eldest son wants to go in the RAF. He would have liked to join the RAAF but you have to be a citizen, so that would be 4 and a bit years wait. So that's a bummer.

Youngest son, who is the most a academic of the two has only had three days of school since we arrived on the 28th of August due to the school fannying about getting him a place. This was a major set back for me and him. If we do go back to England he will have to go back into year 9 rather than year 10 due to all the GCSE prep he's missed. Also he won't get back in his old school, places there are like gold dust, so it would be another new school for him. Probably one we would have to pay for, however if we moved back to the same area, he would still have his old set of mates, which are a good set of lads, same for the eldest, he had a good bunch of mates too.... Decisions, decisions....

If there's one thing I've learnt from this whole process, it's this.....' If it isn't broken, don't try and fix it!'

You live and learn!
Well, you could always send your eldest back to join the RAF and your youngest to board with relatives and finish his education and you could enjoy the sunshine! That'd still keep everyone's option open.

You're quite right though, if it ain't broke don't fix it - sounds like the timing wasn't quite right for you as it's always difficult with older kids and you don't really want to bugger around with their education of career aspirations.
Good luck with your decision making!
Old Dec 29th 2014, 4:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, I realise that.

Well, not really no, the whole getting the Visa was something that's been accumulating since the early 2000, we were young, our kids were young and at the time we thought it would offer us a better lifestyle. However when we got around to actually getting the Visa, our life was good, in nearly all ways, financially, mentally, physically, all good. But we had a Visa laying there in front of us, tempting us...Lol

I had read many a post on here and other forums about how people had struggled to get a Visa and what they had been through to get it. and I know this sounds silly but I kind of felt selfish in not taking the opportunity up that we had, which was to move to Oz on a PR visa, so we did, basically just because we could.

I'm glad I've done it, even if we don't stay, We have tried it. Lots don't even get that chance. But if I knew then what I know now. I would have probably stayed in the UK, we had it good, sometimes you have to have it tough to realise just how good you had it, if that makes sense....
Living in another country, even if its not forever, is priceless. That's an experience that cannot be traded for anything.
Old Dec 29th 2014, 5:27 am
BE Enthusiast

DaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to all

Too long

Why would I want to live in Melbourne?......we only came here because one of our sons lives here and he lives in Brisbane.

Would never have come if he wasn't here....it really is nothing special.
I can totally understand and sympathise. We came because daughter and family were here and son was also intending to emigrate. Son changed his mind but is now working abroad elsewhere. We are torn, we are not really happy where we are as we came from a small English village, walk to everything and one hours drive from walking in Derbyshire and Yorkshire Dales. We can't do that here and hate the fact you have to drive so far to have even a smidgen of social life and that we have to stay in cause its too hot!. Life revolves around the family, but we want something else. We have a dilemma - do we stay here near family or return to UK where we have no-one but could have some sort of life for ourselves.
Old Dec 29th 2014, 5:29 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveandLinda
I can totally understand and sympathise. We came because daughter and family were here and son was also intending to emigrate. Son changed his mind but is now working abroad elsewhere. We are torn, we are not really happy where we are as we came from a small English village, walk to everything and one hours drive from walking in Derbyshire and Yorkshire Dales. We can't do that here and hate the fact you have to drive so far to have even a smidgen of social life and that we have to stay in cause its too hot!. Life revolves around the family, but we want something else. We have a dilemma - do we stay here near family or return to UK where we have no-one but could have some sort of life for ourselves.
I hear you

I used to live in the Peak District....must have been mad to leave
Old Dec 29th 2014, 5:37 am
BE Enthusiast

DaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to all

I hear you

I used to live in the Peak District....must have been mad to leave
Yes, we have been here nearly 4 years and have decided to return for a holiday next year, walking in the York Dales and Peak District. OH thinks I need to get it out of my system! Have even been researching nice areas to live and we will visit a few while there. Had almost decided we wanted to return till OH saw pictures of ice and snow on TV recently and asked 'Do we really want to go back to that?' Funnily enough he favours Sunshine Coast in Queensland - somewhere like Buderim.
Old Dec 29th 2014, 5:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

I over heard an Aussie/Italian woman speaking in the water while at the beach earlier today to another woman of Italian origin who she happened upon.

The first woman told the other she has lived the past four years in Florence. Said it is beautiful and can't see herself leaving. Has an Italian husband and child who were in the background.

The woman continued, Perth's a beautiful city as well, but people live behind fortifications to a large extent. The other agreed. As do I.
Old Dec 29th 2014, 7:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by the troubadour
I over heard an Aussie/Italian woman speaking in the water while at the beach earlier today to another woman of Italian origin who she happened upon.

The first woman told the other she has lived the past four years in Florence. Said it is beautiful and can't see herself leaving. Has an Italian husband and child who were in the background.

The woman continued, Perth's a beautiful city as well, but people live behind fortifications to a large extent. The other agreed. As do I.
Agreed. The Perth suburbs would drive me insane.
Old Dec 29th 2014, 8:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour

Why do they "live behind fortifications" in Perth?
Old Dec 29th 2014, 8:05 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Hiding from Bernieboy?
Old Dec 29th 2014, 8:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Hiding from Bernieboy?
A recent Development then!

It could just be the paranoia of all the Saffas that live there. We're used to building that way. Laager mentality.

Last edited by Alfresco; Dec 29th 2014 at 8:12 am.
Old Dec 29th 2014, 8:12 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Lots of Poms.....oh and a little Irish
Old Dec 29th 2014, 8:20 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
Lots of Poms.....oh and a little Irish
A very little Irish
Old Dec 30th 2014, 1:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Well, you could always send your eldest back to join the RAF and your youngest to board with relatives and finish his education and you could enjoy the sunshine! That'd still keep everyone's option open.

You're quite right though, if it ain't broke don't fix it - sounds like the timing wasn't quite right for you as it's always difficult with older kids and you don't really want to bugger around with their education of career aspirations.
Good luck with your decision making!

Yeah we did consider that, but if we go back the eldest needs to re-sit a couple of his GCSE's first as he wants a better grade to do the career he wants in the RAF and to be brutally honest I'm not sure my family could cope with him for such a long period.

You are right, it is all mainly down to bad timing. If anyone is reading this who is considering bringing teens over, I'd think twice, only because of the timing with regards to their education. I have to give credit where it's due though, my boys themselves haven't caused us any problems at all. They have actually been very mature about the whole thing and just took whats been thrown at them, the upheavals and stress. I'm quite proud of them for that because it hasn't been an easy ride for any of us.

Thanks Quoll.
Originally Posted by Beoz
Living in another country, even if its not forever, is priceless. That's an experience that cannot be traded for anything.

Yep, that's true. Great way to look at it too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.