Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia is too bloody far away....from everything

Australia is too bloody far away....from everything

Old Feb 9th 2015, 1:38 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Australia is too bloody far away....from everything

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Canadians are a diverse people.
Is that counting French Canadians or just real Canadians? Isn't the citizenship test being able to have sex in a canoe?
Old Feb 9th 2015, 2:04 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia is too bloody far away....from everything

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Is that counting French Canadians or just real Canadians? Isn't the citizenship test being able to have sex in a canoe?
While eating poutine and sipping a double-double from Horton's
Old Feb 9th 2015, 5:46 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
My view is Poms are definitely warmly welcomed here. The vast majority of Aussies... well over 90 pct of people seem to feel that way as far as I'm concerned.
So there J am today in a beer garden in a very local-type pub near Melbourne airport, get asked to join the group at the next table.. Three down to earth Aussie blokes and a cowboy from Wyoming! And we've spent the afternoon comparing customs and language and how the 3 countries differ.

Attitudes? Discrimination? Nowhere in sight! Although when it came to buying beer, the Aussies bought their own drinks while us foreign types bought rounds!

Last edited by Pollyana; Feb 9th 2015 at 5:49 am.
Old Feb 9th 2015, 3:51 pm
Just Joined

Plastic Scouse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Look what I found...
You need to be careful when you use something you do not understand
You think you are making a smart comment in accusing me of being a " troll"
Suggest you look at the artwork on Beobachter in 1930s Germany and look at where that ended up
It seems that you not British why are you trolling around a website for British ex patriots ?
Old Feb 9th 2015, 4:11 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
First off, none of the comments on this thread can in any way be considered reinforcing this apparent study. I'm not going to start moderating harmless comments that are not abusive or aggressive. That's not how BE works.

Imo 'racism' is a much overused irrelevant term. We are all part of the Human Race. British is not a race. Neither is American, Indian, South African, Chinese, Italian etc etc etc. They are nationalities. I personally don't know anyone who's been abused by an 'Australian' for being British but obviously lots of people have been abused because of the colour of their skin/nationality by a small minority of halfwits. This is not racism and this does not, in any way shape or form mean that 'Australians are racist'.

As to the findings of this survey (which you couldn't even be bothered to link to), who were these 10,000 people? What are their circumstances, what are their personalities/attitudes/beliefs? 10,000 people over 10 years is a fantastically small sample of people, what were the demographics? When they say 97% found Australians to be unfriendly and uncaring, how was this measured? What form did the abuse take? Who were the Australians they were referring to? I'm British but I'm also now Australian. Were they talking about Australians who'd been here 5 years/10 years/100 years? If they were being abused, did they ask what nationality the person was? How do they know they were Australian? Someone calls me a Pom it's not being racist, it's no different, as has been said, to me calling someone a Kiwi, a Canuck, etc.

A survey means jackshit. It depends on who paid for it, what they were looking for, any ulterior motives, what questions were asked, how the questions were worded etc etc.

Instead of joining BE as an apparent newbie and jumping straight in accusing people of stuff how about you introduce yourself, your history, why you've joined an expat forum, why you've called yourself the name you have. I've answered your question, it would polite if you were to answer at least one of the many you've been asked.
As a forum set up to assist potential and current migrants from Britain it is clear that you will allow comments such as 418 ?
I am sure that you can look up the Professors work at Monash University just as easily as myself The work is sponsored by the Scanlon Foundation and the Migrant Council for Australia and is intended to measure social cohesion . That is with a country with a large proportion of migrants it measures assimilation discrimination etc
It appears that your opinion of a fine body of academic work is
"A survey means jacks shit" and clearly your opinion is well balanced
It appears that the social cohesion study is an ongoing government funded academic endeavour.
I would advise all potential emigrants to Australia to read it
Old Feb 9th 2015, 5:44 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Why not provide a link to it then?
Old Feb 9th 2015, 6:00 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

The reason I ask is because those that are newly arrived in Australia who experience the most discrimination and difficulty integrating tend to be singled out due to skin colour, faith or language. Of course British immigrants must often be non-white and/or faith other than Christian but they are very unlikely to be ESOL. Many migrants experience some tensions with the host culture but it's when those three factors come into play that real issues of racism and discrimination become nasty. I can imagine that in some areas POMs might have experienced some hostility but I find it hard to believe that this is an issue for British immigrants to Australia in the same way that it is for the groups mentioned.
Old Feb 9th 2015, 6:09 pm
---

http://scanlonfoundation.org.au/wp-c...ion-Report.pdf
Old Feb 9th 2015, 8:34 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
Apologies for my technical literacy or lack of it

Please for all people who may wish to have a broader view please go to kate lundy.com
Ms Lundy is a senator for ACT
On Ms Lundy's website
In the search box enter "Scanlon Foundation"
Posters here may get a broader view of emigration assimilation and social costs of failed migration
In my opinion Ms Lundy statement about the Scanlon Foundation and it's aims is right on the money
By the way she does not use any foul language or dismiss ideas outside of her experience out of hand
Old Feb 9th 2015, 9:03 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pollyana
So there J am today in a beer garden in a very local-type pub near Melbourne airport, get asked to join the group at the next table.. Three down to earth Aussie blokes and a cowboy from Wyoming! And we've spent the afternoon comparing customs and language and how the 3 countries differ.

Attitudes? Discrimination? Nowhere in sight! Although when it came to buying beer, the Aussies bought their own drinks while us foreign types bought rounds!
I hope that you read Kate Lundy' s page on the Scanlon Foundation as I do not expect you to read the full report

I hope that I have made a few people think here about the damage done to British Immigrants with comments like
I am not a racist but....
Pom this Pom that
Pommee B'stard
It's allright when you have the "power" to say Pom but so differant when you are in Britain then the term never comes out of your lips.
Don't forget over a third of British migrants return in my day a half of all British migrants returned hell of a cost
Sitting with aboriginal women a vignette! Wow read it again ! ,!
Any who dares criticise any aspect of Australian life re Pagan Lady is roundly attacked by all the Plastic Britons on this site
Enough I will unsubscribe from this site as it is not a British ex pats site at all Australians Canadians Germans South Africans " Naturalized Brits"
I would like to continue to contribute to give prospective migrants a "balanced view" but not possible plus I must plan my own next trip down under
So Adios Amigos
Old Feb 9th 2015, 9:16 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Plastic Scouse
I hope that you read Kate Lundy' s page on the Scanlon Foundation as I do not expect you to read the full report

I hope that I have made a few people think here about the damage done to British Immigrants with comments like
Pom this Pom that
Pommee B'stard
It's allright when you have the "power" to say Pom but so differant when you are in Britain then the term never comes out of your lips.
Don't forget over a third of British migrants return in my day a half of all British migrants returned hell of a cost
Sitting with aboriginal women a vignette! Wow read it again ! ,!
Any who dares criticise any aspect of Australian life re Pagan Lady is roundly attacked by all the Plastic Britons on this site
Enough I will unsubscribe from this site as it is not a British ex pats site at all Australians Canadians Germans South Africans " Naturalized Brits"
I would like to continue to contribute to give prospective migrants a "balanced view" but not possible plus I must plan my own next trip down under
So Adios Amigos
Maybe you don't realise it but I'm one of the biggest 'Aus haters' on the site I criticise as much if not more than Pagan Lady!

BE started as a site for British Expats but we welcome everyone, as long as they stick within the rules. Overall every forum on BE has a fairly balanced view of the country around which its based, mainly because we do have such a wide mix of people on here.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.......

Last edited by Pollyana; Feb 9th 2015 at 9:52 pm.
Old Feb 10th 2015, 12:32 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Australia is too bloody far away....from everything

Originally Posted by Charismatic
I'm not a racist but...
Oy, I resemble that remark!
Originally Posted by Pollyana
BE started as a site for British Expats but we welcome everyone, as long as they stick within the rules.
Everyone? Rules? Is that the rule about mushy peas or the one about pretending we are actually sophisticated middle class types?
Old Feb 10th 2015, 1:32 am
---

Apologies for my technical literacy or lack of it

Please for all people who may wish to have a broader view please go to kate lundy.com
Ms Lundy is a senator for ACT
On Ms Lundy's website
In the search box enter "Scanlon Foundation"
Posters here may get a broader view of emigration assimilation and social costs of failed migration
In my opinion Ms Lundy statement about the Scanlon Foundation and it's aims is right on the money
By the way she does not use any foul language or dismiss ideas outside of her experience out of hand
I think this poster has left the room but just for future readers, here's a link to Kate Lundy's comments on the work of the Scanlon Foundation. I have yet to find her comments on the "social costs of failed migration" but I did find her remarks quite interesting. For example:

I again commend Peter Scanlon for his foresight and enterprise in establishing the Scanlon Foundation, and his ongoing commitment to providing research that forms part of the evidence base for policies to sustain a socially cohesive Australia.
We are now a land of 22 million people who speak almost 400 languages, identify with more than 270 ancestries and observe a wide variety, in fact the widest variety, of cultural and religious traditions.
We are the most successful and stable multicultural nation on earth. But how do we measure this? How do we track progress? This is where the Scanlon-Monash Index of Social Cohesion comes in handy. Australia’s stability is expressed in this index which sits at 94.38 per cent – up 0.54 per cent.
Australia has settled millions of people from almost every corner of the globe, and in doing so have maintained a socially cohesive society.
I am very pleased to see that the Scanlon-Monash Index of Social Cohesion remains relatively constant—indicating a significant degree of stability within Australian society.
We pride ourselves on a strong migration program, but it is always going to be with its challenges.
Additionally, the Neighbourhoods Report tells us that in areas with high numbers of people born overseas, levels of trust, safety and the experience of discrimination do not equal the more positive national findings.

This focus on the latest wave of migrants is a pattern we know well. It is also notable that the Scanlon research indicates the long term change in the Australian opinion over time, in particular that there is now a large measure of acceptance of groups once largely stigmatised when they were the most recent wave of migrants.

So we have some challenges diminishing negativity towards some people of different faith groups. Our anti-racism campaign will make a contribution. As will the passage of time, concerted efforts to find employment opportunities and utilise known platforms for successful social inclusion like the arts, music, sport and volunteering.

People come to Australia for our values not religion. We pride ourselves on being a secular nation accepting of people regardless of their religion.
Our diversity has reaped many rewards for us, but we can never afford to rest on our laurels.
We must do what we can to ensure that all Australians, no matter what their background, are able to participate in and feel a part of an equitable and socially cohesive society.
From: Launch of Mapping Social Cohesion 2012 – The Scanlon Foundation Survey Reports | Senator Kate Lundy
Old Feb 10th 2015, 2:03 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

People who've not been around BE for years may be interested to know that a British expat who frequented these forums in the early days had the username Pommie Bastard. Much missed he is as well.

I notice that Plastic still hasn't answered any of the questions asked of him by several posters including me and Poll, just lectured us on how we should behave and think. I don't take direction from complete strangers well. Not sure this is going to end well.
Old Feb 10th 2015, 2:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I would definitely like post 414 answered by anyone...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.