Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia is too bloody far away....from everything

Australia is too bloody far away....from everything

Old Feb 7th 2015, 1:19 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia is too bloody far away....from everything

Originally Posted by Plastic Scouse
Many people here are trying to sweep away anti British behaviour with qualifying adjectives or subjective rambles
Professor Andrew Markus of Monash University funded by the Australian Federal Government researched the experience of migrants from 2000 to 2010
One of the major finds of this comprehensive survey:
" More than a third of recent arrivals have been discriminated against because of their skin colour ethnicity or religion"
" Two thirds of the migrants said they liked their new lives" but......
"less than 3 per cent nominated Australians as their reason for their happiness"
One can try and disregard " casual" racism but clearly the Fedral Government in funding this research is trying to get to grips with the social and financial costs
It may be painful for some people to accept but it is fact
Time to try and treat all people with the respect they deserve starting here with calling British people British not the derogatory term "Pom" likewise for other racist terms
Oh for heaven's sake! I wouldn't be surprised if that chip on your shoulder has something to do with your obviously unhappy experiences.

I call my husband a Pom. He calls me Skip. Get over yourself!
Old Feb 7th 2015, 1:22 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Many people here are trying to sweep away anti British behaviour with qualifying adjectives or subjective rambles
Professor Andrew Markus of Monash University funded by the Australian Federal Government researched the experience of migrants from 2000 to 2010
One of the major finds of this comprehensive survey:
" More than a third of recent arrivals have been discriminated against because of their skin colour ethnicity or religion"
" Two thirds of the migrants said they liked their new lives" but......
"less than 3 per cent nominated Australians as their reason for their happiness"
One can try and disregard " casual" racism but clearly the Fedral Government in funding this research is trying to get to grips with the social and financial costs
It may be painful for some people to accept but it is fact
Time to try and treat all people with the respect they deserve starting here with calling British people British not the derogatory term "Pom" likewise for other racist terms
Can I ask how much time you have spent living in Australia, and how much anti-British feeling you have personally encountered especially in recent years?
Australia has changed a lot in the time I've been here, and that only goes back to 2003.
Old Feb 7th 2015, 1:38 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

So in this vein we should call you Liverpudlian rather than Scouser.

Will you be changing your username?
Old Feb 7th 2015, 1:42 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Oh for heaven's sake! I wouldn't be surprised if that chip on your shoulder has something to do with your obviously unhappy experiences.

I call my husband a Pom. He calls me Skip. Get over yourself!
Oh, SoS. I do love you (says the resident Canuck)
Old Feb 7th 2015, 1:47 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Oh, SoS. I do love you (says the resident Canuck)
Coochie coochie coo, my little Canuck
Old Feb 7th 2015, 2:03 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Bix
So in this vein we should call you Liverpudlian rather than Scouser.

Will you be changing your username?
Good point! The term 'Plastic Scouser', commonly used for people residing outside the Liverpool City limits, including those from 'over the water', is a racist, derogatory term which marginalizes those upon whom the label is bestowed.

He better change his username to Woolyback

Whereas everyone in the UK knows that 'Scouser' simply means a scally or a thief. Again, such a derogatory and racist word to use. Like Pom
Old Feb 7th 2015, 2:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

I was in Australia for half a century and it never bothered me to be called a Pom. I didn't once consider it to be racist or derogatory, just a terminology between Commonwealth friends.
Old Feb 7th 2015, 4:28 pm
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Can I ask how much time you have spent living in Australia, and how much anti-British feeling you have personally encountered especially in recent years?
Australia has changed a lot in the time I've been here, and that only goes back to 2003.
I agree with Pollyana, a lot of the time this is misinterpreted as anti this or that but in fact it's often based on sporting emotions where the whole England vs Australia element will come into play quite strongly, or else it's just a case of having a grudge against outsiders in general. I don't think you will often meet delinquents who will have a grudge against English folk but will smile when meeting Germans or French people... ain't going to happen.
Old Feb 7th 2015, 11:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Tell me Plastic, what exactly is the difference between being called a "Cockney" "Mackem" "Geordie" "Scouser" "Yokel" "Manc" "Taff" "Paddy" and "Sweatie" v "Pom" ? Because I honestly wouldn't have a clue.

Can anyone answer this ?

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Feb 7th 2015 at 11:58 pm.
Old Feb 8th 2015, 1:51 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Tell me Plastic, what exactly is the difference between being called a "Cockney" "Mackem" "Geordie" "Scouser" "Yokel" "Manc" "Taff" "Paddy" and "Sweatie" v "Pom" ? Because I honestly wouldn't have a clue.

Can anyone answer this ?
Different spelling
Old Feb 8th 2015, 3:04 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Australia is too bloody far away....from everything

I'm not a racist but...on occasion I've given the antipodeans (and other people) a bit of rib about their accents, ancestry, stereotypes etc. and returned as good as I've got on many others.

I must be such a massively horrible person .
Old Feb 8th 2015, 3:48 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
Different spelling
Old Feb 8th 2015, 4:07 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Pommie b'stards
Old Feb 8th 2015, 11:38 am
Just Joined

Plastic Scouse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Personal or subjective comments are unnecessary
Professor Andrew Markus with a sample size of over 10000 migrants between 2000 and 2010 found that racism is indeed increasing! FACT
Only 3 percent of British migrants in this period found Australians
"Caring friendly hospitable people "
FACT
The Australians on this website may hurl racist abuse my way for holding up Professor Markus's research mirror to them but a healthier approach would be
"What can I do to reduce friction , racism and increase tolerance"
Any prospective migrants from Britain to Australia read the comments on these pages and take note.
Old Feb 8th 2015, 11:42 am
Just Joined

Plastic Scouse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Good point! The term 'Plastic Scouser', commonly used for people residing outside the Liverpool City limits, including those from 'over the water', is a racist, derogatory term which marginalizes those upon whom the label is bestowed.

He better change his username to Woolyback

Whereas everyone in the UK knows that 'Scouser' simply means a scally or a thief. Again, such a derogatory and racist word to use. Like Pom
Pagan Lady on another part of this forum got it right
Your outpouring of bile reflects your nature clearly
If you intend to live in Liverpool maybe not a good idea to link Scouser to Scallywag to thief ??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.