Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia is too bloody far away....from everything

Australia is too bloody far away....from everything

Old Jan 27th 2015, 7:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia is too bloody far away....from everything

Originally Posted by Brian Clough down under
An interesting discussion! I feel the same way as the OP and tend to agree with most of Pollyanna's and Grayling's comments about Aus.

I've been in Western Sydney /North-Western Sydney for almost 10 years now and I'm just over the heat, the sweating, the latent anti-pommy stuff, the high prices, the insularity, the blind optimism and the rest. I would love to move back to England, but unfortunately my Aussie wife is having none of it, as she is attached by umbilical cord to her family, who are all in Western Sydney. Very frustrating.

We go back every year, and indeed have just arrived back from a 5 week trip seeing family and friends in Sheffield, London, Hastings, Cheshire and York. We have a 5 year old and a 3 year old, so I'm thinking that soon would be good, if I can get the missus over the line, which is easier said than done.

If I'm honest, I have to admit that because I get paid more here (I'm a Primary school teacher), we'll suffer a drop in income if we do move back to England, but for me it'll be worth it, as the extra cash I earn tends to be spent on flights back home and all the rest, including hotels in parts of the country that I haven't been to for a while.

Another difficulty for me is that although I have many friends in England, they have spread out all over the place, because of jobs or wives. Most of my mates grew up in Sheffield, and I still have some good friends there, but several others moved away to Hastings, Bristol, Cheshire, South Wales and Surrey, so even if we did move back, choosing a location would be tricky.

I also miss the trips around the rest of Europe, which is so easy to do. In Australia, I tend to feel isolated and cut off from many things, and the time difference kills me when it comes to trying to watch a game of football
Move from Western Sydney. Thats your answer.

Talking of Hastings. I was down there yesterday. Such a pretty coastal town. Pity about the residents. Its like broken Britain was picked up and dumped in Hastings.
Old Jan 27th 2015, 8:55 am
Just had a book published

Brian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to behold

Got to agree with you on Hastings, sadly.

Happy to move to the eastern suburbs if you can chuck me $2 million so I can live in my preferred area?
Old Jan 27th 2015, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

black swan has a brilliant futureblack swan has a brilliant futureblack swan has a brilliant futureblack swan has a brilliant futureblack swan has a brilliant futureblack swan has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by aries
Thank you for asking. I could do with some of Adelaide's warmer weather, and indeed the flatness would be beneficial. I've developed a painful tear in my left knee, so living on the side of a hill in Torquay has become a serious problem. It is truly annoying that I can't play table tennis or travel to visit friends in Germany.

Gawler is a handy location for the Barossa Valley, do you manage to get there for a spot of sampling? Seppletsfield Winery is a marvellous place to go for lunch or a picnic, and the long palm tree avenue from the main road is captivating. The Barossa Valley | The Barossa | Discover Seppeltsfield Road
Sorry to hear of the problem with your knee. Hopefully it will repair itself with lots of rest. I well remember our first car ride along the palm tree avenue at Seppletsfield winery back in 1973 the year we arrived in Adelaide. And lots of Galahs sitting in the roadway. Being a Sunday the winery was closed as was everything in those days, even petrol stations.
We have to rely on the train when we visit Gawler. A dreary journey but a nice country town when you get there.
Mount Barker on the bus was pleasant & so was Blackwood on the train. Will do it again in March on our next visit.

Last edited by black swan; Jan 27th 2015 at 10:11 am. Reason: Missed out a word.
Old Jan 27th 2015, 6:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brian Clough down under
Got to agree with you on Hastings, sadly.

Happy to move to the eastern suburbs if you can chuck me $2 million so I can live in my preferred area?
No. Take a mortgage like all other buyers
Old Jan 27th 2015, 9:09 pm
Just Joined

Plastic Scouse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by steve-n-jo
As those who have seen my other posts would be aware, I am not a fan of living in Australia and after nearly 10 years the novelty has truly worn off!!

.....Then I was thinking.. "Its too bloody far away, that's the main problem!"

Sounds like a stupid 'obvious' statement, but for years I have been telling myself "hey its not that far...only a day away"

It is not a day away... well actually it is, its a day away from practically everywhere and nearly two days away from England (our best travel time from door to door is 32 hours)

So if you want isolation, love spending hours getting anywhere, want to put visiting loved ones through the hell of very long haul flight and all the associated risks, and don't mind never being able to 'pop' anywhere... come to Australia where space and isolation are plentiful and the rest of the world 'aint that far away...on a jet!!'
The distant shore, and the tyranny of distance both describe the human condition in Australia
It's founding as a penal colony did not require "walls" the distance back ....back home was so far
If one dwells upon these thoughts it can and will cage you in
I was taken to Australia as a 12 year old in 1965 the son of ten pound poms dumped into a migrant hostel in Cabramatta
Suffering pomee bashing latent prejudice and downright hostility so by the age of seventeen I escaped alone back to Liverpool the pool of life in Europe. Left my parents living in a caravan with my youngest sister in Wollongong This is the "lucky country" Not!
My mother said that right to the end of her life that the escarpment rising above Wollongong caged her in and life passed her by in Britain
Now at the age of 23 I needed money to buy a house as I had a wife and child so I turned the negative into a positive. Returned to Wollongong and started in BHP ( Broken Hearted Pom) as a labourer and train shunter in the steelworks Also worked with Loveley Italian people as a waiter in a Italian restaurant
After three years returned "home" and bought a house cash.
I persevered in Wollongong for three years because I bought air tickets from Sydney to London and placed them smack bang in the middle of the fridge door and every time I was cheesed off with Oz I looked at the tickets
Now I am in the autumn of my life and to get away from our winter I exchange my house here in North Wales usually with British expats from Australia for up to three months But I always have the return tickets stuck right smack bang in the middle of fridge.
So the distance is terrible but you must not cage yourselves in !
Have your tickets for your next trip stuck in the middle of the fridge door
Get up in the middle of your night and watch Liverpool FC
Read the UK papers on line
Invite expats for a pint ( not a schooner)

Never forget that they speak our language, they use our political system our sports our cultural references ,they may not like this but every time you encounter latent or overt prejudice , be brave and remind them of the debts they owe.
Old Jan 27th 2015, 9:49 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Plastic Scouse
The distant shore, and the tyranny of distance both describe the human condition in Australia
It's founding as a penal colony did not require "walls" the distance back ....back home was so far
If one dwells upon these thoughts it can and will cage you in
I was taken to Australia as a 12 year old in 1965 the son of ten pound poms dumped into a migrant hostel in Cabramatta
Suffering pomee bashing latent prejudice and downright hostility so by the age of seventeen I escaped alone back to Liverpool the pool of life in Europe. Left my parents living in a caravan with my youngest sister in Wollongong This is the "lucky country" Not!
My mother said that right to the end of her life that the escarpment rising above Wollongong caged her in and life passed her by in Britain
Now at the age of 23 I needed money to buy a house as I had a wife and child so I turned the negative into a positive. Returned to Wollongong and started in BHP ( Broken Hearted Pom) as a labourer and train shunter in the steelworks Also worked with Loveley Italian people as a waiter in a Italian restaurant
After three years returned "home" and bought a house cash.
I persevered in Wollongong for three years because I bought air tickets from Sydney to London and placed them smack bang in the middle of the fridge door and every time I was cheesed off with Oz I looked at the tickets
Now I am in the autumn of my life and to get away from our winter I exchange my house here in North Wales usually with British expats from Australia for up to three months But I always have the return tickets stuck right smack bang in the middle of fridge.
So the distance is terrible but you must not cage yourselves in !
Have your tickets for your next trip stuck in the middle of the fridge door
Get up in the middle of your night and watch Liverpool FC
Read the UK papers on line
Invite expats for a pint ( not a schooner)

Never forget that they speak our language, they use our political system our sports our cultural references ,they may not like this but every time you encounter latent or overt prejudice , be brave and remind them of the debts they owe.
They owe nothing

Nice story but it's your story - nobody else's
Old Jan 28th 2015, 2:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

As a Londoner with a slight Aus accent, I felt more of a foreigner in North Wales than I ever did in Australia, Encountered more predjudice as well. Thats my Story. No one has ever "offered me out" just for ordering a beer in a pub in Australia, just on my supposed cockney accent. Happened more than once around Rhyl and Prestatyn... over age of 40 at the time, as well and with 15 years of OZ accent under my belt. Moral is some people are more of a foreigner in their own land than they are in a perceived foreign land. Octogearian Parents still cop it occasionally in their retirement destination.... They wouldn't have to the same degree here In Melbourne's North..I'm certain of that.

I get very confused when I see this anti pom stuff as I've rarely encountered it in my 35 years here..... I think it must be a mainly provincial thing.

Final Edit.... In fact, my accent, watered down as it is after all these years, still earns me compliments from strangers, mostly females in shops, which makes my day on the odd occasion when it happens, which is a few times a year... not bad after all this time here. Maybe it's because relatively speaking your English migrant is by far in the minority in these parts. I'd go as far to say if anyone wants to benefit and be complimented and welcomed for being a English/UK Migrant, move to Melbournes North.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jan 28th 2015 at 3:29 am.
Old Jan 28th 2015, 8:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

As someone who as lived as many years in Oz as I have in the UK I'm a firm believer that migrant successes and failures in both countries are down to the individual. We more often than not hear the failures on BE but where are the boasting success stories? They are there. I know them personally. Perhaps the successful are too busy being successful rather than boasting here on BE.
Old Jan 28th 2015, 8:19 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Perhaps the successful are too busy being successful rather than boasting here on BE.
Silence is consent.
Old Jan 28th 2015, 9:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Plastic Scouse

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I get very confused when I see this anti pom stuff as I've rarely encountered it in my 35 years here..... I think it must be a mainly provincial thing.

Final Edit.... In fact, my accent, watered down as it is after all these years, still earns me compliments from strangers, mostly females in shops, which makes my day on the odd occasion when it happens, which is a few times a year... not bad after all this time here. Maybe it's because relatively speaking your English migrant is by far in the minority in these parts. I'd go as far to say if anyone wants to benefit and be complimented and welcomed for being a English/UK Migrant, move to Melbournes North.
Ozzie, I've been on this forum 10 years - and have observed the worst complaints.

It's my honest to God view that most of the complaints end up being 'environmental'.

Yes, Australia is not an hour or 2 from Europe. We get that.

There have been some stories of pommy-bashing- well, we live in a nice little village in Melbourne SE - full of Anglophiles - and they will tell you! And - I don't think I have ever met a Pommy basher who actually meant it - but perhaps if I hunted in the burbs (or went to the N burbs of Perth) or elsewhere I might find one eventually.

A general point on complaints and peoples' stories:
I can honestly say for example that if you live in Australian suburbia ie. have an average existence AND (AND!) you don't like it -well that's your answer! I notice that a lot of complaints come from people who would be considered insular in the UK - yet they will consider Australians to be insular. I sometimes see the whole thing as like a factory floor where noone really likes each other, but in reality, everyone is as bad as each other.

For example, Western Sydney is known to be the pits.

I have found as the years have gone past that I have not so much assimilated but have found the inner and established Australia that in many cases is not so different from the UK. It is really hard to convey this on BE, as there are so many negative experiences that put some of my experiences in doubt (I get that!). If it wasn't for anonymity I could go into more detail but I can't.

I find many of my experiences differ to the complaints of many (which are still valid): eg lots of people like to rub Australian's noses on the negative aspects of their country. There is a school of thought, by a minority, on BE that nothing Australian can be surely any good - or if it is, it is just hot air.

I have met some very interesting people who are 100pc different to the people that expats complain about. I have met Australians whose culture is very real to them - and that they do live a life that is quite unique and to them, there are very real ancestral values - based on the distance - the isolation - people scoff at this on BE - but it is real - if you go there - if you meet the more interesting people.

My contribution is - avoid the banal and commonplace and Australia can get very interesting indeed. (Turn off the effing TV!) And of course, do a big trip once every few years - don't just go on hols - go and speak another language in another place- educate the kids (etc).
Old Jan 28th 2015, 10:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

+1

Great post Badge.
Old Jan 28th 2015, 10:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

+ 2 Badge
Old Jan 28th 2015, 12:56 pm
seenbeendonenocriesnowhys

fuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Molly Coddle
There seems to be a lot of people going back to the UK recently or not happy in Australia. I wonder why, apart from the fact it's far from everywhere.
Is the present economy a factor I wonder?
late reply, but I dont think in the long run economy is the factor, I have met over many
years many returnees, including family/relations either NZ or OZ.I believe the main reason, may involve indirectly the economic factor( visiting countries in Europe on hols , simply too expensive, for the avg person), but many expats when down, or just wanting to seem to be adventutous still miss family and familiarity. This site alone has shown over many years how even after trying hard for their partner, they have tried to hold on ,but desparetly miss their roots.

It shows by the people, who find it hard to take on and intigrate and accept their would be new lifes and to become native.
Many Brits in the UK expect that from immigrants, then build their own enclaves, when
going overseas themselves.
After working in both NZ +OZ, I always knew in my situation travelling and being continually able to see new lands would be stress and financially taxing if I had chose
either has permanent homes, though I love both.

Just has a contrast I nearly chose both Mexico and Nepal has home, I would have had a good life, but my earnings would not allowed us to travel away from either of the 2 countries.
I was lucky I never suffered from homesickness,more from wanderlust, I believe though many expats who do return is just down to being homesick.
ok ok, I miss pork pies and the odd portion of fish n chips.
Old Jan 28th 2015, 4:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Amazulu
They owe nothing

Nice story but it's your story - nobody else's
To get into a deep debt situation one must deny the existence of the debt
It is called being in "denial"
I believe from the first fleet right up to today the British have changed Australia from a wilderness to one suitable for maybe 20 million people to live in.
Settlers merinos craftsmen artisans and even a few artists musicians
I am amazed that in places like Canada and the USA British people are liked and welcomed with open arms like cousins but in Australia not always the case
When you are on the receiving end of a racist outburst it is hurtful

I must say the Australians on this website have so far .......failed to link the term "whinging" to my points of view and my British nationality
Old Jan 28th 2015, 4:36 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Ozzie, I've been on this forum 10 years - and have observed the worst complaints.

It's my honest to God view that most of the complaints end up being 'environmental'.

Yes, Australia is not an hour or 2 from Europe. We get that.

There have been some stories of pommy-bashing- well, we live in a nice little village in Melbourne SE - full of Anglophiles - and they will tell you! And - I don't think I have ever met a Pommy basher who actually meant it - but perhaps if I hunted in the burbs (or went to the N burbs of Perth) or elsewhere I might find one eventually.

A general point on complaints and peoples' stories:
I can honestly say for example that if you live in Australian suburbia ie. have an average existence AND (AND!) you don't like it -well that's your answer! I notice that a lot of complaints come from people who would be considered insular in the UK - yet they will consider Australians to be insular. I sometimes see the whole thing as like a factory floor where noone really likes each other, but in reality, everyone is as bad as each other.

For example, Western Sydney is known to be the pits.

I have found as the years have gone past that I have not so much assimilated but have found the inner and established Australia that in many cases is not so different from the UK. It is really hard to convey this on BE, as there are so many negative experiences that put some of my experiences in doubt (I get that!). If it wasn't for anonymity I could go into more detail but I can't.

I find many of my experiences differ to the complaints of many (which are still valid): eg lots of people like to rub Australian's noses on the negative aspects of their country. There is a school of thought, by a minority, on BE that nothing Australian can be surely any good - or if it is, it is just hot air.

I have met some very interesting people who are 100pc different to the people that expats complain about. I have met Australians whose culture is very real to them - and that they do live a life that is quite unique and to them, there are very real ancestral values - based on the distance - the isolation - people scoff at this on BE - but it is real - if you go there - if you meet the more interesting people.

My contribution is - avoid the banal and commonplace and Australia can get very interesting indeed. (Turn off the effing TV!) And of course, do a big trip once every few years - don't just go on hols - go and speak another language in another place- educate the kids (etc).

You state
"I don't think I have met a pommee brasher who meant it"
Oh right so someone who offers physical or verbal abuse to a British person .....does not mean to be offensive !!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.