Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia is too bloody far away....from everything

Australia is too bloody far away....from everything

Old Jan 8th 2015, 1:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia is too bloody far away....from everything

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Brisbane - big market town.

Really when did you last go there 1960?

Brisbane, like most Australian cities is never going to be in my top cities of the world, but its the third biggest city in Australia.

So Australia goes from Sydney, Melbourne to Country town.

Market town with well over 2 million people. Its a biggie
But I doubt it is the expanse of Metropolitan Brisbane that is referred to. The city centre, like most Australian centres hardly reflect such a population mass, that the given population may suggest.
Old Jan 8th 2015, 1:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
Which was the gist of what I was saying or at least meaning.

Because we come from different backgrounds we are all likely to prefer something different now and in the future that will change too.
Which of course is why some can look at the same thing and view it in opposing light.
Old Jan 8th 2015, 7:01 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

We do know what you mean, we were never homesick about England, sure we missed certain things but we just got on with our life in Aus but after about 3 years we started to get fed up of seeing the same things in WA which we had travelled extensively so we started to visit other states (a great cost) and even though our nearest other state Adelaide was just over a 3 hour flight when we arrived it was very much the same as in WA, the only place that felt slightly different was Queensland as it was much greener and so humid (we visited Jan/Feb) but never the less it was mainly the same as WA. We then decided to try overseas and this satisfied us for a while but really we missed the nearness of Europe and all its wonderful Cities and cultures so we headed back to the UK and we are quite happy here. I know it's not the same for some people as a lot are just content with their "own back yard" which is grate but for us we did find Australia after a while a bit confining for us unless of course you don't mind the expense and quite a while sat on a plane.
Old Jan 8th 2015, 9:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by brits1
Hi

We do know what you mean, we were never homesick about England, sure we missed certain things but we just got on with our life in Aus but after about 3 years we started to get fed up of seeing the same things in WA which we had travelled extensively so we started to visit other states (a great cost) and even though our nearest other state Adelaide was just over a 3 hour flight when we arrived it was very much the same as in WA, the only place that felt slightly different was Queensland as it was much greener and so humid (we visited Jan/Feb) but never the less it was mainly the same as WA. We then decided to try overseas and this satisfied us for a while but really we missed the nearness of Europe and all its wonderful Cities and cultures so we headed back to the UK and we are quite happy here. I know it's not the same for some people as a lot are just content with their "own back yard" which is grate but for us we did find Australia after a while a bit confining for us unless of course you don't mind the expense and quite a while sat on a plane.
I tend to agree. Just a few nights down south in WA inclusive of meals and wine was very close to what paid in a good Rome hotel in recent times.
While a stay in Broome was more.
Old Jan 10th 2015, 12:06 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
I tend to agree. Just a few nights down south in WA inclusive of meals and wine was very close to what paid in a good Rome hotel in recent times.
While a stay in Broome was more.
You got away lightly - our last 4 night trip to Margaret River cost more than it would have cost for 4 nights pretty much anywhere in Europe - including flights from Oz!
Old Jan 10th 2015, 12:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by verystormy
You got away lightly - our last 4 night trip to Margaret River cost more than it would have cost for 4 nights pretty much anywhere in Europe - including flights from Oz!
And some wonder why over priced OZ is falling out of favour with international tourism. Not only over priced but I find very ordinary service and general value as well.

Two sets of friends of ours were coming on return visits and both cancelled when checked out how costs had gone up.

Both sets, who know one another went at separate times to South Africa, at less than half the flight cost from Frankfurt not to say a much shorter distance, and all raved about the quality of the country in the way of tourist venues, nature, people and while not exactly cheap far better value compared to Australia. (prices have been rising there as well though, I know) Much what I found on an extended visit there a couple of years ago.

I get the impression Margaret River tries to sell itself as something akin to the French Riveria. Nice spot but way over priced for what it is.

Even more reason to set oneself up outside Australia, closer to the action before the age encroaches.
Old Jan 11th 2015, 3:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

aussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond repute

The reality is for about 10 months of the year it is lovely weather and really not that hot.
Old Jan 11th 2015, 10:00 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aussietobe
The reality is for about 10 months of the year it is lovely weather and really not that hot.
Reality of where?

Define lovely weather, thats totally subjective, as is "not that hot".

for instance I am currently in tassie, reality is 10 months of the year 20 degrees-ish, fair few grey days, bits of rain most days. That to me personally is lovely weather, and definitely not that hot, which is why I like it.
Brisbane on the other hand looms like a spectre at the feast at the end of the week, with at least another three months of 25 plus, humidity through the roof, nightmare weather, and we've had it since September.
Old Jan 11th 2015, 10:25 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Reality of where?

Define lovely weather, thats totally subjective, as is "not that hot".

for instance I am currently in tassie, reality is 10 months of the year 20 degrees-ish, fair few grey days, bits of rain most days. That to me personally is lovely weather, and definitely not that hot, which is why I like it.
Brisbane on the other hand looms like a spectre at the feast at the end of the week, with at least another three months of 25 plus, humidity through the roof, nightmare weather, and we've had it since September.

Another lifestyle thread devolves into discussing the weather

S
Old Jan 11th 2015, 11:02 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o

S
Well it seems that, for many, there is not much beyond the weather.
Old Jan 11th 2015, 11:06 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Well it seems that, for many, there is not much beyond the weather.

That is something that I have noticed myself. Far too many people seem to think that the weather is pretty much the be-all and end-all in consideration of a potential move here.

as I said before, it matters not a jot to me - the fundamentals are that many of the things I enjoy doing are simply not available here. Australia has been great for me in terms of my career and finances, but now I am mortgage free, I want to spend time doing those things I like. And I can't do them here, so it leaves little option but to start looking around for somewhere else now...

S

Last edited by Swerv-o; Jan 11th 2015 at 11:11 pm. Reason: Spelling mistakes
Old Jan 11th 2015, 11:08 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

That is something that I have noticed myself. Far too many people seem to think that the weather is pretty much the be-all and end-all in consideration of a potential move here.

as I said before, it matters not a jot to me - the fundamentals are that many of the tings I enjoy doing are simply not available here. Australia has been great for me in terms of my career and finances, but now I am mortgage free, I want to spend time doing those things I like. And I can't do them here, so it leave little option but to start looking around for somewhere else now...

S
Exactly my thoughts as well.
Old Jan 11th 2015, 11:17 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

S
Actually i was just wondering at the randomness of that post I replied too
Old Jan 11th 2015, 11:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

I dont mind 25c , 27 even.

But UV is the biggest problem. Its extreme most of the year. And its a factor many people dont even consider, till its a bit late.

Melbourne gets some respite for 3 months a year then off it goes again.
Old Jan 11th 2015, 11:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Personally, I hate sunny weather - was never a fan of it in the UK and have grown to despise it here. I spend all summer longing for the winter to arrive

One of my favourite pastimes is walking / hiking - something that is hard enough to do here, but the sun makes it impossible for most of the year. The best climate for hiking is cool and even drizzle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.