British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Australia is too bloody far away....from everything (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/australia-too-bloody-far-away-everything-849541/)

Kim67 Jan 7th 2015 2:12 am

Re: Australia is too bloody far away....from everything

Originally Posted by Molly Coddle (Post 11524152)
Personally I like Brisbane, that's the place we were going to move initially.

But having been here in Melbourne and lived through one of it's hottest days,
( which is nothing compared to Brisbane) I have to say I probably, realistically couldn't cope with the heat there. But a I think it's a beautiful city.

:thumbup:

jad n rich Jan 7th 2015 3:15 am

Originally Posted by Molly Coddle (Post 11524152)
Personally I like Brisbane, that's the place we were going to move initially.

But having been here in Melbourne and lived through one of it's hottest days,
( which is nothing compared to Brisbane) I have to say I probably, realistically couldn't cope with the heat there. But a I think it's a beautiful city.

Actually molly Melbourne can get WAY hotter than Brisbane. Melb has only had one or two really hot days so far, it will get way up into the the mid 40's there. Often that is for 4/5 days of in a row. Summers hardly started yet :blink:

Brisbane is a more persistant, longer summer with a lot of 28 going on. Only seen 40 something once in 9 years in bris.

Extreme Dry heat or humidity is like pick the devil or deep blue sea, both evil :thumbdown: IME.

Unfortunately the australian climate is a harsh one, bloody extreme, the UV a killer, but nobody in the UK would ever believe it. There used to be loads of posts on here from brickies, roofers saying it would be a great climate to work in, living here you were thinking WTF :lol:

jad n rich Jan 7th 2015 3:36 am

Originally Posted by Kim67 (Post 11524144)
The CBD is dead at night, but a short stroll across the bridge to Southbank or head into The Valley and you'll get something to eat after 8pm.

Yes the valley has plenty going on. Son in used to live overlooking the bridge. Big music scene, clubs, getting home around 4am was pretty normal for him. Plenty of eating places too.

Kim67 Jan 7th 2015 4:30 am

Originally Posted by jad n rich (Post 11524217)
Yes the valley has plenty going on. Son in used to live overlooking the bridge. Big music scene, clubs, getting home around 4am was pretty normal for him. Plenty of eating places too.

Yeah, it's a shame that it's not more widely known when people come here to visit that they need to head away from the inner city, even the Story Bridge Hotel is always packed and has a couple of great restaurants.

tictac Jan 7th 2015 4:46 am

Originally Posted by Molly Coddle (Post 11524101)
I've just read your other post too, it seems you are really peed off. Are you not in a position to go back to the UK?

I have good days and bad days.

Like others have mentioned, I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with the place.

On paper, everything is fantastic. Spiritually, things are not (in general).

Both myself and my OH currently have great jobs, nice house, holidays etc etc. I'm not 100% convinced the UK would offer me the same, hence my dilemma: do I stay or do I go.

UK friends have moved on and close family have emigrated to the Med so not really that much to entice me back to the UK other than that "feeling of belonging". It would be a huge backwards step (I feel) but I would, at least, feel at ease with myself again.

Of course, tomorrow might be a completely different story :-)

Alfresco Jan 7th 2015 4:53 am

Originally Posted by Kim67 (Post 11524232)
Yeah, it's a shame that it's not more widely known when people come here to visit that they need to head away from the inner city, even the Story Bridge Hotel is always packed and has a couple of great restaurants.

They should put signs up... Go to FV for a good time. ;)

Kim67 Jan 7th 2015 5:00 am

Originally Posted by Alfresco (Post 11524246)
They should put signs up... Go to FV for a good time. ;)

Kangaroo point can be a hoot too I hear.

Alfresco Jan 7th 2015 5:07 am

Originally Posted by Kim67 (Post 11524250)
Kangaroo point can be a hoot too I hear.

Been there a couple of times with family and friends at night. Haven't dined out there at restaurants or anything, only picnicked. Great view of the city.

Grayling Jan 7th 2015 5:45 am

Originally Posted by Alfresco (Post 11524256)
Been there a couple of times with family and friends at night. Haven't dined out there at restaurants or anything, only picnicked. Great view of the city.

Used to stay there in an apartment when we visited for a few years...handy for the ferry to the centre.

The apartments have all been pulled down now:(

My son got married in a church on KP and my grandchildren christened there

tictac Jan 7th 2015 5:48 am

Originally Posted by jad n rich (Post 11524202)
Actually molly Melbourne can get WAY hotter than Brisbane. Melb has only had one or two really hot days so far, it will get way up into the the mid 40's there. Often that is for 4/5 days of in a row. Summers hardly started yet :blink:

Brisbane is a more persistant, longer summer with a lot of 28 going on. Only seen 40 something once in 9 years in bris.

Extreme Dry heat or humidity is like pick the devil or deep blue sea, both evil :thumbdown: IME.

Unfortunately the australian climate is a harsh one, bloody extreme, the UV a killer, but nobody in the UK would ever believe it. There used to be loads of posts on here from brickies, roofers saying it would be a great climate to work in, living here you were thinking WTF :lol:

Looks like Brisbane is likely to get hotter too:

Bad luck, Brisbane: muggy cities will feel future heat even more

ozzieeagle Jan 7th 2015 6:33 am

Originally Posted by jad n rich (Post 11524202)

I was going to post something similar, then I looked at the weather records, Thing is although Brisbane has a higher average in January, Melbourne gets more extremes. Brisbane very rarely gets to 41 degrees whereas Melbourne invariably gets to 41 every single year, it's just how many days in a row we get those blast furnace winds that are the test.

Incidently, the hottest City is Adelaide, I always thought it was Perth, but there you go. So Melbourne is 3rd on the list behind those two in hottest days.

Alfresco Jan 7th 2015 7:00 am

Originally Posted by Grayling (Post 11524264)
Used to stay there in an apartment when we visited for a few years...handy for the ferry to the centre.

The apartments have all been pulled down now:(

My son got married in a church on KP and my grandchildren christened there

Yeah, looks like some of it needs a bit of a revamp. Pricey area though and very popular, from what I see. A romantics corner.

Originally Posted by tictac (Post 11524265)
Looks like Brisbane is likely to get hotter too:

Bad luck, Brisbane: muggy cities will feel future heat even more

It could be... Must say nothing beat Florida when we went there in 2008. That was seriously hot & humid. :blink:

the troubadour Jan 7th 2015 7:55 am

I wonder why so many threads become de facto weather reports? Besides being a safe topic it has little to do with the actual thread. Perhaps it is true the weather features large in Aussies and Poms day to day exchanges.

Alfresco Jan 7th 2015 8:41 am

Originally Posted by the troubadour (Post 11524348)
I wonder why so many threads become de facto weather reports? Besides being a safe topic it has little to do with the actual thread. Perhaps it is true the weather features large in Aussies and Poms day to day exchanges.

It could be. Australia is not too far away from the weather. So it seems. Something in common. ;)

moneypenny20 Jan 7th 2015 8:45 am

Originally Posted by Alfresco (Post 11524376)
It could be. Australia is not too far away from the weather. So it seems. Something in common. ;)

It's not far away from Papua New Guinea. Do they have weather?