Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia is too bloody far away....from everything

Australia is too bloody far away....from everything

Old Feb 15th 2015, 8:42 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Australia is too bloody far away....from everything

Originally Posted by Dreamy
I quite fancy being an athlete but only if I don't have to do any rubbish stuff like, well, exercise.
Darts, snooker etc.
Old Feb 15th 2015, 9:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia is too bloody far away....from everything

Australia is close to New Zealand.
Old Feb 15th 2015, 9:31 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Darts, snooker etc.
Curling
Old Feb 15th 2015, 11:05 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Curling
Her hair's not long enough.
Old Feb 16th 2015, 3:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy
Sorry, I know it's Wikipedia but hey ho

Plastic Brit

Either we're all athletes born abroad who then represent GBR or we're claiming to be British despite not residing there or having any ties to the place.

I quite fancy being an athlete but only if I don't have to do any rubbish stuff like, well, exercise.
Thank you, it didn't occur to me to check using Google, I thought it was a BE invention!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plastic_Brit
Old Apr 3rd 2015, 11:04 pm
Just Joined

talesin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Grayling
That's one of the things we are looking forward to when we return to England.....some decent weather to get out and about in....we have had More than enough of the Queensland climate

Have never spent so much time indoors.
Wow, sounds like time to move, even if you are still in Australia. Sounds a bit like when I was desperate to get out of the home counties because it was awful. We are now living in Devon, but still would love to go to Australia because we love isolation. We picked the smallest hamlet to live in we could find, but still find Britain stupidly overcrowded. The weather couldn't be worse than here (does it ever stop raining?), and the apparently brilliant education? Well let's put it this way, most of the people on here seem to be wealthy enough to pick their kids education. No one ever seems to think that someone with a fairly standard life would ever seek to exchange it for another fairly standard life. No private education, no fancy housing, but possible a better standard of life even if you are still struggling when you get to Australia. Better that struggling in the UK? Hell yes. And considering your catchline, I would think that you are well aware what it is like to live with a Tory government. Hope you are rich if you decide to move back........
Old Apr 3rd 2015, 11:28 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by talesin
Wow, sounds like time to move, even if you are still in Australia. Sounds a bit like when I was desperate to get out of the home counties because it was awful. We are now living in Devon, but still would love to go to Australia because we love isolation. We picked the smallest hamlet to live in we could find, but still find Britain stupidly overcrowded. The weather couldn't be worse than here (does it ever stop raining?), and the apparently brilliant education? Well let's put it this way, most of the people on here seem to be wealthy enough to pick their kids education. No one ever seems to think that someone with a fairly standard life would ever seek to exchange it for another fairly standard life. No private education, no fancy housing, but possible a better standard of life even if you are still struggling when you get to Australia. Better that struggling in the UK? Hell yes. And considering your catchline, I would think that you are well aware what it is like to live with a Tory government. Hope you are rich if you decide to move back........
Define "better standard of life" though....the age old quandry, what is better for one isn't so for another. Give me the cold, rain and grey skies anyday instead of endless heat and humidity
Old Apr 3rd 2015, 11:35 pm
Just Joined

talesin is an unknown quantity at this point

When you keep spiders and exotics? Maybe somewhere you don't have to spend a fortune on heating tanks, or even don't have to keep them at all because they live in your house/ garden! Possibly somewhere we don't have to wear a coat 9 months out of 12? Yep, heat can definitely be a pain but then so can freezing, it's all a matter of perspective. Which do you prefer - spending money on heating or on air conditioning? Hmmm....
Old Apr 4th 2015, 12:18 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

When you keep spiders and exotics? Maybe somewhere you don't have to spend a fortune on heating tanks, or even don't have to keep them at all because they live in your house/ garden! Possibly somewhere we don't have to wear a coat 9 months out of 12? Yep, heat can definitely be a pain but then so can freezing, it's all a matter of perspective. Which do you prefer - spending money on heating or on air conditioning? Hmmm....
I don't have air con, I just have to put up with the heat. When it gets cold i put on more layers, but as I have a small electric heater for the coldest nights here I guess I do spend more on heating than air con

As I said a better standard of life is different for everyone. Not having ever wanted to keep spiders their comfort is the last thing that I would be thinking about when considering my idea of a better life! Each to their own.....
Old Apr 4th 2015, 12:49 am
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Well, you could always move to the Purbeck area in Dorset for peace and quiet, and you'll find some top-rated, public schools there too. The weather will be very nice as well, though of course it will not equal Australia. Having said that, I have never lived in a more rainy place than Australia, though maybe this is because I flew over right in time for a cyclone and it is technically wet season over in the GC.

I miss the UK and being in Europe in general, though I think it's mainly the social aspect that I miss (the pub culture, the live footie on weekends, high-street shopping, etc.). And as mentioned, being in Europe so close to so many places provides so many opportunities, and from Poole you even have ferries going over to France.
Old Apr 4th 2015, 5:51 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

One of the funniest post I have seen!

Oz is a big empty country. But, if you want to live in isolation, then you are going to seriously struggle. As for weather, I see more people outside here in the arctic (it is -3 and snowing at the moment) than I do in Oz on a summers day. Why? Well, those with sense are driven in doors by knowing that death from skin cancer is not a fun day.

As for struggling - you really need to research what struggling means in the two. I have had multiple times of struggle in my life, and am thankful we haven't had to do a hard time yet in Oz. Why? Here is why:
Benefits - you can survive on them in the UK. In Oz, the total amount we would get - I know, haven just been unemployed for 8 months - is less than weekly rent.
Housing - I have been homeless in the UK and know that a family will be looked after. Rock up at centre link in Oz and declare homeless, you will be handed a map of camp sites. Thousands of families live in tents or even their cars here.
Family - probably the biggest help a person can have. But, here, you wont have any.

Last edited by verystormy; Apr 4th 2015 at 5:58 am.
Old Apr 4th 2015, 8:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by astera
Well, you could always move to the Purbeck area in Dorset for peace and quiet, and you'll find some top-rated, public schools there too. The weather will be very nice as well, though of course it will not equal Australia. Having said that, I have never lived in a more rainy place than Australia, though maybe this is because I flew over right in time for a cyclone and it is technically wet season over in the GC.

I miss the UK and being in Europe in general, though I think it's mainly the social aspect that I miss (the pub culture, the live footie on weekends, high-street shopping, etc.). And as mentioned, being in Europe so close to so many places provides so many opportunities, and from Poole you even have ferries going over to France.
I'm not sure where all you people live but its pissing with rain and I'm wearing a jumper. Yet I spend all summer outside without a single sign of skin cancer. I went shopping on a high street today, and drank in the local pub last night. Footie yep its on all the time. Which flavour you want? You can't even get the Saturday afternoon games on the TV in the UK anyway. Oh yeah I forgot. You get none of this in Queensland
Old Apr 4th 2015, 8:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy

Oz is a big empty country. But, if you want to live in isolation, then you are going to seriously struggle. As for weather, I see more people outside here in the arctic (it is -3 and snowing at the moment) than I do in Oz on a summers day. Why? Well, those with sense are driven in doors by knowing that death from skin cancer is not a fun day.

As for struggling - you really need to research what struggling means in the two. I have had multiple times of struggle in my life, and am thankful we haven't had to do a hard time yet in Oz. Why? Here is why:
Benefits - you can survive on them in the UK. In Oz, the total amount we would get - I know, haven just been unemployed for 8 months - is less than weekly rent.
Housing - I have been homeless in the UK and know that a family will be looked after. Rock up at centre link in Oz and declare homeless, you will be handed a map of camp sites. Thousands of families live in tents or even their cars here.
Family - probably the biggest help a person can have. But, here, you wont have any.
I haven't seen the A Current Affair episode about the tents cities. When was it on?
Old Apr 4th 2015, 10:13 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy

Old Apr 4th 2015, 10:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Ha ha ha. Dave Cameron made a very similar statement in his election speech. Tony Abbott has tried to implement it but has the communication skills of a flee.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.