Australia is too bloody far away....from everything

Australia is too bloody far away....from everything

Old Jan 15th 2015, 10:00 pm
Just Joined

kelmac is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Australia is too bloody far away....from everything

Originally Posted by Molly Coddle
Hi Kelmac

Great to hear you like Northern England, that's my neck of the woods. There's some absolutely gorgeous places there and if you need any info at all just give me a shout and I'll help as much as I can.
Thanks, Molly Coddle! I may just take you up on that. Especially when it comes time to finding a place to live. There's nothing like local knowledge about particular places that you just can't beat! I'm quietly hopeful to end up in either Lancashire or Yorkshire, but will go wherever hubby gets a job (ideally NOT London). Cheers for the offer!! Ta, Kel
Old Jan 16th 2015, 1:59 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by VinoVeritas
I spent a couple of weeks ages ago hitching around Tasmania and I agree it really is beautiful, and also varied, from rainforest to scraped-clean hills (Queenstown? It was a long time ago) to Hobart to the penal colony.

It always felt to me as though it was part of NZ, until we got picked up by a bloke in a ute who greeted us with about the slowest, most relaxed "how ya goin'" I've ever heard.

Aussies on the mainland used to refer to Tasmanians as Triffids, which I thought was a bit cruel! And one comic in Brisbane greeted Tas audience members with "Welcome to Australia!".
Queenstown is fascinating, the hills were leached of soil and nutrients by the mines, and when I first went there in 1999 it looked like the surface of the moon. Going back now they have undertaken a big programme to rejuvenate the area and some bits are looking quite green, though its still a bit surreal.
Old Jan 16th 2015, 7:49 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

We have been to both (France since we have been back in the UK) and Maragaret River (nice for WA standards)I am afraid to say cannot hold a candle or even a match to the French wine region but you have to make the most of what you have where you live (or near to) we recently went to Iceland with our youngest son (he was 21 while we were there) and it was so cheap to fly there and our hotel was a bargain (expensive when you get there though) we had a brilliant time and just makes being home and closer to these places lovely for us.
Old Jan 17th 2015, 4:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kelmac
Thanks, Molly Coddle! I may just take you up on that. Especially when it comes time to finding a place to live. There's nothing like local knowledge about particular places that you just can't beat! I'm quietly hopeful to end up in either Lancashire or Yorkshire, but will go wherever hubby gets a job (ideally NOT London). Cheers for the offer!! Ta, Kel
You're welcome. I'd be glad to help. Good choice on the Shires.
My parents are from both Yorkshire and Lancashire stock and I've spent many years in each county so know a lot of the Northern areas pretty well.
Like most places there's a 'must avoid list' when it comes to some areas, but there aren't many places like that. I can confidently say, there are areas which will just take your breath away. Also you will find the people to be very down to earth and easy to get along with. Expect some Mick taking because you're an Aussie ( at least I think you are?) but it will just be in fun and probably used as an ice breaker. You'll love the place and the people. Hard not too.

Good luck!
Old Jan 17th 2015, 5:08 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Ha! 30 goes might be a bit much. Husband is 6'3"... he is a pain in the bum to deal with on long hauls. Cramped in, and no sleep = angry bear LOL!
Look at a split flight class. You do the short flight in economy and the long flight in business. Works out a fraction of the cost of business.
Old Jan 17th 2015, 5:09 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Good choice on the Shires.
Not as good as Cairns of course.
Old Jan 17th 2015, 5:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
Not as good as Cairns of course.
Lol

I mean the English Shires of Yorkshire and Lancashire ,old chap!
Old Jan 17th 2015, 5:36 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Lol

I mean the English Shires of Yorkshire and Lancashire ,old chap!
So did I
Old Jan 17th 2015, 5:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bix
So did I

Ok. Have you actually even been up north O'pasty man?
Old Jan 17th 2015, 5:49 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Ok. Have you actually even been up north O'pasty man?

Is it over the Tamar river?
Old Jan 17th 2015, 5:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bix
Is it over the Tamar river?

Well, it depends which way you go I suppose.... there's the long way round, then there's the short way.. Lol.

I was going to pick your brain last week Bix on good areas of Somerset, it was one of our many options, as there's a big job starting there soon, 3 years work actually if hubby wanted it. Looks like Australia is stuck with me for now though.

Lucky Australia....
Old Jan 17th 2015, 6:10 am
Bix
da Bonehead

I was going to pick your brain last week Bix on good areas of Somerset, it was one of our many options, as there's a big job starting there soon, 3 years work actually if hubby wanted it. Looks like Australia is stuck with me for now though.

Lucky Australia....
Just as well you didn't need my help Molly cos I know very little of the South West outside of Cornwall. I'm an eccentric you see and only learnt to drive when I knew I was emigrating to Australia.

In the mid 80's to 90's there was a spell when I only stepped outside my local town about 3 times and that wasn't to go far.

The farthest North I got in the UK was to Liverpool but here I lived in Cairns for 9 years.
Old Jan 17th 2015, 6:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Ha! 30 goes might be a bit much. Husband is 6'3"... he is a pain in the bum to deal with on long hauls. Cramped in, and no sleep = angry bear LOL!
I arrived in the UK last night from Syd. Probably the best economy Syd Lon I've ever done. Got the bulkhead seat due to travelling with an infant. The infant was very well behaved and its so nice to stretch the legs up against the bulkhead. Trick is to keep having babies under 1 I guess.

So its 7:30 am and its still pitch black. Want to get outside and enjoy the crisp cold air at minus 2 before the rain sets in later today. Crisp and minus 2 is proper winter. Drizzle and 8 degs is just not.
Old Jan 17th 2015, 6:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bix
Just as well you didn't need my help Molly cos I know very little of the South West outside of Cornwall. I'm an eccentric you see and only learnt to drive when I knew I was emigrating to Australia.

In the mid 80's to 90's there was a spell when I only stepped outside my local town about 3 times and that wasn't to go far.

The farthest North I got in the UK was to Liverpool but here I lived in Cairns for 9 years.
Village mentality, the not stepping out and learning to drive late on. I share the learning to drive late on with you. And understand the mentality of not needing/ wanting to travel far.

Regarding the late driving though - I learnt to drive a tractor before a car, not a good move for me I don't think, as the longer you leave learning to drive on the roads the more fearful you are on the road. Unfortunately my driving skills have caused many an argument with me and the hubby and he now refuses to get in any car that I'm driving. which I suppose isn't necessarily a bad thing....
Old Jan 17th 2015, 7:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1
We have been to both (France since we have been back in the UK) and Maragaret River (nice for WA standards)I am afraid to say cannot hold a candle or even a match to the French wine region but you have to make the most of what you have where you live (or near to) we recently went to Iceland with our youngest son (he was 21 while we were there) and it was so cheap to fly there and our hotel was a bargain (expensive when you get there though) we had a brilliant time and just makes being home and closer to these places lovely for us.
I'm afraid Margaret River is just way to expensive for what is on offer. Same could be said for most of WA.

Having lived in France there is little if any comparison to be made. A country that has most everything within reach. From great beaches, mountains, ski slopes (though expensive) with great presentation to match. Houses a lot cheaper as well.

Never been to Iceland, a place always wanted to go. Living in UK sure avails one to so much possibility to travel.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.