Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia is too bloody far away....from everything

Australia is too bloody far away....from everything

Old Jan 13th 2015, 11:08 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia is too bloody far away....from everything

Originally Posted by bobbyftm
Not been so can't pass judgement but it's on the places to visit bucket list
You really sould do it. Very different to the mainland, and quite do-able in relative comfort if you don;t want to do the cheap route round the island
You would both love it, in different ways Good pubs, touch of luxury here and there, look at stuff like Gordon river cruises or even a day to Peppermint Bay from Hobart - they even made ME feel special
Old Jan 13th 2015, 11:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana

As I fall out of a restaurant into a taxi in the best city on the planet....!!
When you look around and see The green rolling suburbs of Hobart dotted with little twinkling house lights with the beautiful background of the Derwents pristine bays, topped of with the majestic presence of Mount Wellington towering over the city, it certainly can feel like that.
Old Jan 13th 2015, 11:54 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
When you look around and see The green rolling suburbs of Hobart dotted with little twinkling house lights with the beautiful background of the Derwents pristine bays, topped of with the majestic presence of Mount Wellington towering over the city, it certainly can feel like that.

When I lived here, years ago (brief though it was) I woke up each morning to see the sun reflected off the organ pipes of the mountain. We used to watch the sun go down behond the same mountain. And in between there was the harbour, the wildeness, the closeness of everything we wanted. It was heaven, probabl the happiest time of my life. Maybe more than 6 months (max I did at a time then) and it would wear off a little, but I doubt it. Hobart - and Tassie - retain their magic nearly 20 years on and if offered a job here I'd move tomorrow.
Old Jan 13th 2015, 7:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

When I lived here, years ago (brief though it was) I woke up each morning to see the sun reflected off the organ pipes of the mountain. We used to watch the sun go down behond the same mountain. And in between there was the harbour, the wildeness, the closeness of everything we wanted. It was heaven, probabl the happiest time of my life. Maybe more than 6 months (max I did at a time then) and it would wear off a little, but I doubt it. Hobart - and Tassie - retain their magic nearly 20 years on and if offered a job here I'd move tomorrow.
If it wasn't for the kids, we'd do the same and plan to on retirement, after our travels that is.
Old Jan 15th 2015, 2:26 am
Just Joined

kelmac is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all, I've enjoyed reading your posts here. Funnily enough I spent 5 years living in Hobart and recently visited the UK for the first time (yes, one of those ignorant Aussies who has seen much else of the world assuming the UK would be 'boring'). So much of Tassie is like the UK, but with the UK I fell completely head over heels. My husband is an Aussie born dual UK/AUS citizen and after my new love for it, we've decided later this year we will relocate to the UK.

While I was over there (and he in AUS), I truly did feel like Australia was a million miles away. Granted, Skype and Whatsapp made it feel a bit closer, but without the excitement of starting a holiday pepping me up, the 30 hour trip from London to Cairns via Tokyo was a real eye opener to how far away we are. But, I'm super excited to hopefully call somewhere in Northern England another home, later this year!

Both countries are great, and I liken it to being in a supermarket, not everything in there is for me, but I'll pick out the bits I like and make what works for me
Old Jan 15th 2015, 3:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kelmac
Hi all, I've enjoyed reading your posts here. Funnily enough I spent 5 years living in Hobart and recently visited the UK for the first time (yes, one of those ignorant Aussies who has seen much else of the world assuming the UK would be 'boring'). So much of Tassie is like the UK, but with the UK I fell completely head over heels. My husband is an Aussie born dual UK/AUS citizen and after my new love for it, we've decided later this year we will relocate to the UK.

While I was over there (and he in AUS), I truly did feel like Australia was a million miles away. Granted, Skype and Whatsapp made it feel a bit closer, but without the excitement of starting a holiday pepping me up, the 30 hour trip from London to Cairns via Tokyo was a real eye opener to how far away we are. But, I'm super excited to hopefully call somewhere in Northern England another home, later this year!

Both countries are great, and I liken it to being in a supermarket, not everything in there is for me, but I'll pick out the bits I like and make what works for me
Good attitude

Regarding the flight, do it 30 times and you get used to it. It takes about 30 goes at it though
Old Jan 15th 2015, 3:25 am
Just Joined

Ha! 30 goes might be a bit much. Husband is 6'3"... he is a pain in the bum to deal with on long hauls. Cramped in, and no sleep = angry bear LOL!
Old Jan 15th 2015, 4:21 am
Home and Happy

Welcome to BE from someone coincidentally currently sat in Qantas Club at Hobart Airport!
Old Jan 15th 2015, 4:25 am
Just Joined

Welcome to BE from someone coincidentally currently sat in Qantas Club at Hobart Airport!
Hello! Enjoy.. I am quite at home in QF Club... a little too at home once they start serving wines Ahh the 'bart.. 5 cold years we spent down there. But loved it. Met some incredible people and saw pretty much as much of the state as you can! Lovely!
Old Jan 15th 2015, 7:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Kelmac

Great to hear you like Northern England, that's my neck of the woods. There's some absolutely gorgeous places there and if you need any info at all just give me a shout and I'll help as much as I can.
Old Jan 15th 2015, 10:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Good attitude

Regarding the flight, do it 30 times and you get used to it. It takes about 30 goes at it though
Disagree. Learn to bare it perhaps but never get used to it.
Old Jan 15th 2015, 10:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Did that include the winter months?
Old Jan 15th 2015, 11:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Just inspired me, We may go there again in June, cant really go too far away from our 17yo so that'll do nicely. It's really good there in the Winter IMO. Probably the only state properly geared up for winter, with appropriate pursuits and food.

Old Jan 15th 2015, 12:15 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Yep I've been there during most months, remember an April-June stint years ago snow almost down to the harbour (which is rare) - the state is geared up for winter conditions, plenty of fleeces and woolly gear, and althugh nt every house is set up with heating and insulation you stand a better chance than in the rest of the country.
Old Jan 15th 2015, 12:46 pm
Just Joined

VinoVeritas is just really niceVinoVeritas is just really niceVinoVeritas is just really niceVinoVeritas is just really niceVinoVeritas is just really niceVinoVeritas is just really niceVinoVeritas is just really niceVinoVeritas is just really niceVinoVeritas is just really niceVinoVeritas is just really niceVinoVeritas is just really nice

I spent a couple of weeks ages ago hitching around Tasmania and I agree it really is beautiful, and also varied, from rainforest to scraped-clean hills (Queenstown? It was a long time ago) to Hobart to the penal colony.

It always felt to me as though it was part of NZ, until we got picked up by a bloke in a ute who greeted us with about the slowest, most relaxed "how ya goin'" I've ever heard.

Aussies on the mainland used to refer to Tasmanians as Triffids, which I thought was a bit cruel! And one comic in Brisbane greeted Tas audience members with "Welcome to Australia!".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.