Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia is too bloody far away....from everything

Australia is too bloody far away....from everything

Old Jan 7th 2015, 2:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia is too bloody far away....from everything

Originally Posted by Molly Coddle
Personally I like Brisbane, that's the place we were going to move initially.

But having been here in Melbourne and lived through one of it's hottest days,
( which is nothing compared to Brisbane) I have to say I probably, realistically couldn't cope with the heat there. But a I think it's a beautiful city.
Old Jan 7th 2015, 3:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I like Brisbane, that's the place we were going to move initially.

But having been here in Melbourne and lived through one of it's hottest days,
( which is nothing compared to Brisbane) I have to say I probably, realistically couldn't cope with the heat there. But a I think it's a beautiful city.
Actually molly Melbourne can get WAY hotter than Brisbane. Melb has only had one or two really hot days so far, it will get way up into the the mid 40's there. Often that is for 4/5 days of in a row. Summers hardly started yet

Brisbane is a more persistant, longer summer with a lot of 28 going on. Only seen 40 something once in 9 years in bris.

Extreme Dry heat or humidity is like pick the devil or deep blue sea, both evil IME.

Unfortunately the australian climate is a harsh one, bloody extreme, the UV a killer, but nobody in the UK would ever believe it. There used to be loads of posts on here from brickies, roofers saying it would be a great climate to work in, living here you were thinking WTF
Old Jan 7th 2015, 3:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kim67
The CBD is dead at night, but a short stroll across the bridge to Southbank or head into The Valley and you'll get something to eat after 8pm.

Yes the valley has plenty going on. Son in used to live overlooking the bridge. Big music scene, clubs, getting home around 4am was pretty normal for him. Plenty of eating places too.
Old Jan 7th 2015, 4:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Yes the valley has plenty going on. Son in used to live overlooking the bridge. Big music scene, clubs, getting home around 4am was pretty normal for him. Plenty of eating places too.
Yeah, it's a shame that it's not more widely known when people come here to visit that they need to head away from the inner city, even the Story Bridge Hotel is always packed and has a couple of great restaurants.
Old Jan 7th 2015, 4:46 am
BE Enthusiast

tictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond repute

I've just read your other post too, it seems you are really peed off. Are you not in a position to go back to the UK?
I have good days and bad days.

Like others have mentioned, I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with the place.

On paper, everything is fantastic. Spiritually, things are not (in general).

Both myself and my OH currently have great jobs, nice house, holidays etc etc. I'm not 100% convinced the UK would offer me the same, hence my dilemma: do I stay or do I go.

UK friends have moved on and close family have emigrated to the Med so not really that much to entice me back to the UK other than that "feeling of belonging". It would be a huge backwards step (I feel) but I would, at least, feel at ease with myself again.

Of course, tomorrow might be a completely different story :-)
Old Jan 7th 2015, 4:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, it's a shame that it's not more widely known when people come here to visit that they need to head away from the inner city, even the Story Bridge Hotel is always packed and has a couple of great restaurants.
They should put signs up... Go to FV for a good time.
Old Jan 7th 2015, 5:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Alfresco
They should put signs up... Go to FV for a good time.
Kangaroo point can be a hoot too I hear.
Old Jan 7th 2015, 5:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Kangaroo point can be a hoot too I hear.
Been there a couple of times with family and friends at night. Haven't dined out there at restaurants or anything, only picnicked. Great view of the city.
Old Jan 7th 2015, 5:45 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Been there a couple of times with family and friends at night. Haven't dined out there at restaurants or anything, only picnicked. Great view of the city.
Used to stay there in an apartment when we visited for a few years...handy for the ferry to the centre.

The apartments have all been pulled down now

My son got married in a church on KP and my grandchildren christened there
Old Jan 7th 2015, 5:48 am
BE Enthusiast

tictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond repute

Actually molly Melbourne can get WAY hotter than Brisbane. Melb has only had one or two really hot days so far, it will get way up into the the mid 40's there. Often that is for 4/5 days of in a row. Summers hardly started yet

Brisbane is a more persistant, longer summer with a lot of 28 going on. Only seen 40 something once in 9 years in bris.

Extreme Dry heat or humidity is like pick the devil or deep blue sea, both evil IME.

Unfortunately the australian climate is a harsh one, bloody extreme, the UV a killer, but nobody in the UK would ever believe it. There used to be loads of posts on here from brickies, roofers saying it would be a great climate to work in, living here you were thinking WTF
Looks like Brisbane is likely to get hotter too:

Bad luck, Brisbane: muggy cities will feel future heat even more
Old Jan 7th 2015, 6:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I was going to post something similar, then I looked at the weather records, Thing is although Brisbane has a higher average in January, Melbourne gets more extremes. Brisbane very rarely gets to 41 degrees whereas Melbourne invariably gets to 41 every single year, it's just how many days in a row we get those blast furnace winds that are the test.

Incidently, the hottest City is Adelaide, I always thought it was Perth, but there you go. So Melbourne is 3rd on the list behind those two in hottest days.
Old Jan 7th 2015, 7:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Grayling
Used to stay there in an apartment when we visited for a few years...handy for the ferry to the centre.

The apartments have all been pulled down now

My son got married in a church on KP and my grandchildren christened there
Yeah, looks like some of it needs a bit of a revamp. Pricey area though and very popular, from what I see. A romantics corner.

Originally Posted by tictac
Looks like Brisbane is likely to get hotter too:

Bad luck, Brisbane: muggy cities will feel future heat even more

It could be... Must say nothing beat Florida when we went there in 2008. That was seriously hot & humid.

Last edited by Alfresco; Jan 7th 2015 at 7:03 am.
Old Jan 7th 2015, 7:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder why so many threads become de facto weather reports? Besides being a safe topic it has little to do with the actual thread. Perhaps it is true the weather features large in Aussies and Poms day to day exchanges.
Old Jan 7th 2015, 8:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by the troubadour
I wonder why so many threads become de facto weather reports? Besides being a safe topic it has little to do with the actual thread. Perhaps it is true the weather features large in Aussies and Poms day to day exchanges.
It could be. Australia is not too far away from the weather. So it seems. Something in common.
Old Jan 7th 2015, 8:45 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

It could be. Australia is not too far away from the weather. So it seems. Something in common.
It's not far away from Papua New Guinea. Do they have weather?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.