Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia is too bloody far away....from everything

Australia is too bloody far away....from everything

Old Jan 3rd 2015, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

SteelCityBrickie has much to be proud ofSteelCityBrickie has much to be proud ofSteelCityBrickie has much to be proud ofSteelCityBrickie has much to be proud ofSteelCityBrickie has much to be proud ofSteelCityBrickie has much to be proud ofSteelCityBrickie has much to be proud ofSteelCityBrickie has much to be proud ofSteelCityBrickie has much to be proud ofSteelCityBrickie has much to be proud ofSteelCityBrickie has much to be proud of
Default Re: Australia is too bloody far away....from everything

I'll take any work really. I'm also qualified in computerized accounts and bookkeeping so that's something else. I'd happily do labouring on building sites if needs be.

I didn't think 'stuff you'. She knows I've always wanted to go. Just a matter of time really. She says shes happy to count down the days.

I'll have a gander on facebook like you suggest. See what I can find.

Cheers.
Old Jan 6th 2015, 11:20 am
BE Enthusiast

tictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: Australia is too bloody far away....from everything

Crippling loneliness
Social disconnectedness
Prevalence of insularity/parochialism
Poor cultural fit
Diminishing employment opportunities
Lack of vibrancy/variety
Cost of living (particularly housing)
Australian standards
The LNP
Travel costs
Medical costs
Overhyped lifestyle claims

Brisbane is not what I thought it would be.
Old Jan 6th 2015, 11:30 am
BE Enthusiast

tictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Molly Coddle
Yep, I realise that.

Well, not really no, the whole getting the Visa was something that's been accumulating since the early 2000, we were young, our kids were young and at the time we thought it would offer us a better lifestyle. However when we got around to actually getting the Visa, our life was good, in nearly all ways, financially, mentally, physically, all good. But we had a Visa laying there in front of us, tempting us...Lol

I had read many a post on here and other forums about how people had struggled to get a Visa and what they had been through to get it. and I know this sounds silly but I kind of felt selfish in not taking the opportunity up that we had, which was to move to Oz on a PR visa, so we did, basically just because we could.

I'm glad I've done it, even if we don't stay, We have tried it. Lots don't even get that chance. But if I knew then what I know now. I would have probably stayed in the UK, we had it good, sometimes you have to have it tough to realise just how good you had it, if that makes sense....
Sounds like you were/are in exactly the same situation as us.
Old Jan 6th 2015, 11:30 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blackey_Oz
LOL, it was your UK crew that sent him here ha ha.

Just found this floating around the net too, we may be up for an election soon IF this is legit,
seems old boney tony may not have been an Australian citizen prior to being elected.
Again, IF this is legit(fingers crossed)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.n...1e9a02e4370eb7
What a load of shite

Obama/Kenya all over again

Yawn
Old Jan 6th 2015, 1:27 pm
Just Joined

VinoVeritas is just really niceVinoVeritas is just really niceVinoVeritas is just really niceVinoVeritas is just really niceVinoVeritas is just really niceVinoVeritas is just really niceVinoVeritas is just really niceVinoVeritas is just really niceVinoVeritas is just really niceVinoVeritas is just really niceVinoVeritas is just really nice

A lot of these stories chime with me; my (SA) wife and (English) I moved from Durban to Briz in 1988 with our (who knows) daughter looking for the English language, a continuation of sunshine and safety. After a couple of years I was so keen to get away to England, which we eventually did in 1995.

Looking back, I think my reasons were the Distances (as the OP says - driving 30 mins minimum to see friends, seemingly 16 hours to get to somewhere that looked different, and of course remoteness from SA and England), the unbearable heat in Summer (although Spring in Briz is just wonderful) and, I have to admit, my delicate flower sensibilities re: what felt like constant low-level pom-bashing in the media and all around.

It's really not a place for the thin-skinned, I think - one for the David Warners rather than Stephen Fry. And this applies to all Australians - the interstate rivalry is far more fierce than the semi-jokey Yorkshire-Lanky thing; they really just give each other heaps.

Typically, Mrs Vino and I now intend to retire to South Africa (her turn to be homesick and I love the country) and our daughter is keen to emigrate to Briz with her (South African) husband and (who knows) kids.

Life's complicated.
Old Jan 6th 2015, 6:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by VinoVeritas
A lot of these stories chime with me; my (SA) wife and (English) I moved from Durban to Briz in 1988 with our (who knows) daughter looking for the English language, a continuation of sunshine and safety. After a couple of years I was so keen to get away to England, which we eventually did in 1995.

Looking back, I think my reasons were the Distances (as the OP says - driving 30 mins minimum to see friends, seemingly 16 hours to get to somewhere that looked different, and of course remoteness from SA and England), the unbearable heat in Summer (although Spring in Briz is just wonderful) and, I have to admit, my delicate flower sensibilities re: what felt like constant low-level pom-bashing in the media and all around.

It's really not a place for the thin-skinned, I think - one for the David Warners rather than Stephen Fry. And this applies to all Australians - the interstate rivalry is far more fierce than the semi-jokey Yorkshire-Lanky thing; they really just give each other heaps.

Typically, Mrs Vino and I now intend to retire to South Africa (her turn to be homesick and I love the country) and our daughter is keen to emigrate to Briz with her (South African) husband and (who knows) kids.

Life's complicated.
Another glowing advertisement for Briz (Assuming you mean Brisbane)
Old Jan 6th 2015, 6:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tictac
Social disconnectedness

Prevalence of insularity/parochialism

Poor cultural fit

Lack of vibrancy/variety

The LNP

Brisbane is not what I thought it would be.
...... and another ...... Poor old Brisbane.
Old Jan 6th 2015, 9:23 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
...... and another ...... Poor old Brisbane.
I loved it when we lived in Queensland - would happily retire back to Bribie.

I'm really, really not a city person - would hate walking around Newcastle (UK) fr'instance but didn't mind York/Durham/Chester (smaller, compact cities) and I used to feel comfortable sauntering around Brisbane., which let's face it, is more like a big, market town.

Not everyone hates Queensland :P

(But yeah, we don't live there anymore, lol)
Old Jan 6th 2015, 10:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Dreamy
I loved it when we lived in Queensland - would happily retire back to Bribie.

I'm really, really not a city person - would hate walking around Newcastle (UK) fr'instance but didn't mind York/Durham/Chester (smaller, compact cities) and I used to feel comfortable sauntering around Brisbane., which let's face it, is more like a big, market town.

Not everyone hates Queensland :P

(But yeah, we don't live there anymore, lol)
I'm sure there are some great parts of Queensland. I've had some good times on Stradbroke Island and Noosa. Not exactly Brisbane though. I get to Brisbane every now and again. Its not offensive but lets face it - its a little dull. As you describe - big market town seems about right.

Directly or indirectly Brisbane gets smashed on BE.
Old Jan 6th 2015, 10:11 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure there are some great parts of Queensland. I've had some good times on Stradbroke Island and Noosa. Not exactly Brisbane though. I get to Brisbane every now and again. Its not offensive but lets face it - its a little dull. As you describe - big market town seems about right.

Bit of a change from when Perth used to get bashed all the time.
Old Jan 6th 2015, 10:13 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blackey_Oz
LOL, it was your UK crew that sent him here ha ha.

Just found this floating around the net too, we may be up for an election soon IF this is legit,
seems old boney tony may not have been an Australian citizen prior to being elected.
Again, IF this is legit(fingers crossed)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.n...1e9a02e4370eb7

Those records will be held in the UK - I can't see how an Australian FOI request is going to turn them up...

If there's genuine concern that he was elected while ineligible, then somebody with some standing should be making a request in the UK.

S
Old Jan 6th 2015, 10:33 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Let's face it every Australian city is a bit dull.

Strange how you only started to be critical of Brisbane during your frequent attacks on Chris....well he has gone now.

You seem to think it winds me up now....but I don't even live there....I live nearer to the Gold Coast than Brisbane.......it's my son who lives in Brisbane and he threatened to leave his company if they did not transfer him back there...and most of his projects are nearer Sydney than Brisbane.

You really need to find a new axe to grind.
Old Jan 6th 2015, 11:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Grayling
Let's face it every Australian city is a bit dull.

Strange how you only started to be critical of Brisbane during your frequent attacks on Chris....well he has gone now.

You seem to think it winds me up now....but I don't even live there....I live nearer to the Gold Coast than Brisbane.......it's my son who lives in Brisbane and he threatened to leave his company if they did not transfer him back there...and most of his projects are nearer Sydney than Brisbane.

You really need to find a new axe to grind.
Correct me if I'm wrong but Gold Coast to Brisbane - 1 hour? Close enough

Pure of observation from the "unhappy in Oz" people here on BE. No need to give yourself or Chris credit for that one
Old Jan 6th 2015, 11:10 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Do you two think maybe you could either get a room or just ignore each other? It gets tiring trawling through post after post of bickering.
Old Jan 6th 2015, 11:11 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Correct me if I'm wrong but Gold Coast to Brisbane - 1 hour? Close enough

Pure of observation from the "unhappy in Oz" people here on BE. No need to give yourself or Chris credit for that one
I also think Brisbane is like a big country town and I won't miss it.....but I have not been to another Autralian town which I like any better.

I prefer UK cities

Last edited by Grayling; Jan 6th 2015 at 11:14 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.