Australia or Switzerland?

Australia or Switzerland?

Old Sep 23rd 2010, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

jsm66 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Australia or Switzerland?

Hi All,

Some background ..
I emigrated to Oz in 2006 and then came back in 2007 to deal with some property issues and the fact that the IT market dried up in Melbourne/Sydney... cheaper Indians I guess.
Now we have been in UK and I am working in Switzerland just recently having gotten my 5yr residence permit.
The Oz permit is still there ( spousal visa ) .. but the decision is getting tougher day by day.
Zurich is probably the best place to be in "Europe" in terms of job security, taxes, lifstyle blah blah blah... even though I really miss Victoria !!
Kidswise we now have 2 .. it gets tougher when the education system in Zurich is great .. and I mean state education ..

Anyone in the same boat??
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 8:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Budawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia or Switzerland?

Originally Posted by jsm66
Hi All,

Some background ..
I emigrated to Oz in 2006 and then came back in 2007 to deal with some property issues and the fact that the IT market dried up in Melbourne/Sydney... cheaper Indians I guess.
Now we have been in UK and I am working in Switzerland just recently having gotten my 5yr residence permit.
The Oz permit is still there ( spousal visa ) .. but the decision is getting tougher day by day.
Zurich is probably the best place to be in "Europe" in terms of job security, taxes, lifstyle blah blah blah... even though I really miss Victoria !!
Kidswise we now have 2 .. it gets tougher when the education system in Zurich is great .. and I mean state education ..

I was in a similar situation a long time ago so can't be of much help. Both countries are safe havens in these times of economic stress. The bigger picture is the decline of the west and the rise of Asia. Obviously, Australia is well positioned to benefit from this epic shift in world power. However, the Swiss were smart enough not to become mired in a declining Europe and can adapt and prosper in these changing times. Tough choice. I sometimes wonder how my life would have turned out if I had stayed in Switzerland.
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 9:52 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Zurich > Australia. I'd love to be in a position to live there rather than here.
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 11:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
Zurich > Australia. I'd love to be in a position to live there rather than here.
One of my sons football Teammates parents are mixed UK/Swiss, they have happily chosen OZ as their permanent home.
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 11:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud of

Zurich has worse weather than UK, case closed.
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 11:44 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,

Some background ..

Australia. Zurich and Switzerland are nice but the Swiss (apart from a few exceptions) are the most miserable, anal, unfriendly people I have ever met.
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 11:52 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Amazulu
... Zurich and Switzerland are nice but the Swiss (apart from a few exceptions) are the most miserable, anal, unfriendly people I have ever met.
ahhh That'll be the effect of all those extra annual leave days and the additional public holidays those Europeans have. If they reduced their number of days off in line with the minimal Australian standards they'd no doubt all be much happier?!
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 11:55 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by The Flintstones
Zurich has worse weather than UK, case closed.
Zurich is hardly ever uncomfortably hot. Much of Australia is often uncomfortably hot. Ergo Switzerland has better weather...

case re-opened.
Old Sep 24th 2010, 12:00 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DadAgain
ahhh That'll be the effect of all those extra annual leave days and the additional public holidays those Europeans have. If they reduced their number of days off in line with the minimal Australian standards they'd no doubt all be much happier?!
I don't think the Swiss will ever be happy.
Old Sep 24th 2010, 12:29 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I don't think the Swiss will ever be happy.
Plus who are the Swiss? there a mix of languages and I'm hazarding a guess that they all hate each other.
Old Sep 24th 2010, 12:31 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

I have an Aussie friend who is moving to Switzerland, Christ knows why.

Phil Collins lives there, 'nuff said.
Old Sep 24th 2010, 12:50 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by renth
Plus who are the Swiss? there a mix of languages and I'm hazarding a guess that they all hate each other.
Until recently a friend of ours lived in Basle. She says the Swiss are the richest, healthiest, best educated, cultured people in the world, yet they are all miserable, unhappy and moan constantly. She now lives in Germany and reckons they are a hugely more friendlier and happier people than the Swiss. Go figure.
Old Sep 24th 2010, 2:07 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,

Some background ..

Switzerland is probably one of the best countries in Europe to live in, if not the best. However, it's not that easy to become a Swiss citizen (possible, but not quick or simple) and staying a foreigner for the rest of your life may not be what you want. Same goes for your children.
Old Sep 24th 2010, 2:11 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Which country makes the best cheese? That should put some holes in the argument.
Old Sep 24th 2010, 2:17 am
BE Enthusiast

The Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by DadAgain
Zurich is hardly ever uncomfortably hot. Much of Australia is often uncomfortably hot. Ergo Switzerland has better weather...

case re-opened.
Zurich is a city, not a country. and is uncomfortably cold all year round

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.