British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Australia or Switzerland? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/australia-switzerland-686675/)

jsm66 Sep 23rd 2010 7:26 pm

Australia or Switzerland?

Hi All,

Some background ..
I emigrated to Oz in 2006 and then came back in 2007 to deal with some property issues and the fact that the IT market dried up in Melbourne/Sydney... cheaper Indians I guess.
Now we have been in UK and I am working in Switzerland just recently having gotten my 5yr residence permit.
The Oz permit is still there ( spousal visa ) .. but the decision is getting tougher day by day.
Zurich is probably the best place to be in "Europe" in terms of job security, taxes, lifstyle blah blah blah... even though I really miss Victoria !!
Kidswise we now have 2 .. it gets tougher when the education system in Zurich is great .. and I mean state education ..

Anyone in the same boat??

Budawang Sep 23rd 2010 8:19 pm

Re: Australia or Switzerland?

Originally Posted by jsm66 (Post 8871138)
Hi All,

Some background ..
I emigrated to Oz in 2006 and then came back in 2007 to deal with some property issues and the fact that the IT market dried up in Melbourne/Sydney... cheaper Indians I guess.
Now we have been in UK and I am working in Switzerland just recently having gotten my 5yr residence permit.
The Oz permit is still there ( spousal visa ) .. but the decision is getting tougher day by day.
Zurich is probably the best place to be in "Europe" in terms of job security, taxes, lifstyle blah blah blah... even though I really miss Victoria !!
Kidswise we now have 2 .. it gets tougher when the education system in Zurich is great .. and I mean state education ..

I was in a similar situation a long time ago so can't be of much help. Both countries are safe havens in these times of economic stress. The bigger picture is the decline of the west and the rise of Asia. Obviously, Australia is well positioned to benefit from this epic shift in world power. However, the Swiss were smart enough not to become mired in a declining Europe and can adapt and prosper in these changing times. Tough choice. I sometimes wonder how my life would have turned out if I had stayed in Switzerland.

Centurion Sep 23rd 2010 9:52 pm

Zurich > Australia. I'd love to be in a position to live there rather than here.

ozzieeagle Sep 23rd 2010 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by Centurion (Post 8871475)
Zurich > Australia. I'd love to be in a position to live there rather than here.

One of my sons football Teammates parents are mixed UK/Swiss, they have happily chosen OZ as their permanent home.

The Flintstones Sep 23rd 2010 11:23 pm

Zurich has worse weather than UK, case closed.

Amazulu Sep 23rd 2010 11:44 pm

Hi All,

Some background ..

Australia. Zurich and Switzerland are nice but the Swiss (apart from a few exceptions) are the most miserable, anal, unfriendly people I have ever met.

DadAgain Sep 23rd 2010 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 8871654)
... Zurich and Switzerland are nice but the Swiss (apart from a few exceptions) are the most miserable, anal, unfriendly people I have ever met.

ahhh That'll be the effect of all those extra annual leave days and the additional public holidays those Europeans have. If they reduced their number of days off in line with the minimal Australian standards they'd no doubt all be much happier?! :p

DadAgain Sep 23rd 2010 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by The Flintstones (Post 8871623)
Zurich has worse weather than UK, case closed.

Zurich is hardly ever uncomfortably hot. Much of Australia is often uncomfortably hot. Ergo Switzerland has better weather...

case re-opened.

Amazulu Sep 24th 2010 12:00 am

Originally Posted by DadAgain (Post 8871668)
ahhh That'll be the effect of all those extra annual leave days and the additional public holidays those Europeans have. If they reduced their number of days off in line with the minimal Australian standards they'd no doubt all be much happier?! :p

I don't think the Swiss will ever be happy.

renth Sep 24th 2010 12:29 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 8871681)
I don't think the Swiss will ever be happy.

Plus who are the Swiss? there a mix of languages and I'm hazarding a guess that they all hate each other.

DeadVim Sep 24th 2010 12:31 am

I have an Aussie friend who is moving to Switzerland, Christ knows why.

Phil Collins lives there, 'nuff said.

Amazulu Sep 24th 2010 12:50 am

Originally Posted by renth (Post 8871734)
Plus who are the Swiss? there a mix of languages and I'm hazarding a guess that they all hate each other.

Until recently a friend of ours lived in Basle. She says the Swiss are the richest, healthiest, best educated, cultured people in the world, yet they are all miserable, unhappy and moan constantly. She now lives in Germany and reckons they are a hugely more friendlier and happier people than the Swiss. Go figure.

JAJ Sep 24th 2010 2:07 am

Hi All,

Some background ..

Switzerland is probably one of the best countries in Europe to live in, if not the best. However, it's not that easy to become a Swiss citizen (possible, but not quick or simple) and staying a foreigner for the rest of your life may not be what you want. Same goes for your children.

Sherlock Holmes Sep 24th 2010 2:11 am

Which country makes the best cheese? That should put some holes in the argument. :)

The Flintstones Sep 24th 2010 2:17 am

Originally Posted by DadAgain (Post 8871672)
Zurich is hardly ever uncomfortably hot. Much of Australia is often uncomfortably hot. Ergo Switzerland has better weather...

case re-opened.

Zurich is a city, not a country. and is uncomfortably cold all year round :thumbdown: