Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is Australia still the land of milk and honey?

Is Australia still the land of milk and honey?

Old Jul 9th 2020, 8:49 am
SUPER MODERATOR

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Australia still the land of milk and honey?

Originally Posted by Dreamy View Post
Were you drunk when you wrote this?
I do hope so.
Old Jul 9th 2020, 9:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Australia still the land of milk and honey?

Originally Posted by paddy234 View Post
I live in New Zealand and i since I've been here 7 years I've made plenty of friends, settled down, got married and have a son. I'm always one of those people who keeps an eye on the economy especially after the last big recession which is one of the main reasons i moved to NZ. With coronavirus things are expected to changed economically and i always like to keep my options open especially since most people in New Zealand are already living quite a financially stretched lifestyle just to keep up. I work in construction and was wondering does Australia still pay a significantly higher wage than New Zealand? For example a qualified carpenter in New Zealand could be expected to make $30 an hour. Also house prices, if we were to go to Australia it would be somewhere cooler like southern Australia or Victoria and maybe even Perth as it isn't very humid. Does anyone live here and if so in terms of employment in construction and housing would you recommend it? One last thing would be weather, we love the weather in Northern Canterbury in New Zealand, for most of the year it's mild/warm/hot and dry. Winter mornings and at night can be very cold however in those days you end up with a beautiful sunny day. Having a warmer climate would be ok especially in the winter just as long as the summers weren't too hot as i work outside lol
If it's the land of milk and honey will only depend what you gain and what you lose. For some people moving these days the higher salaries often mean higher living costs, especially when it comes to housing. You have those who are prepared to live in shabby accommodation, but manage to save more money so they can return home and live mortgage free. Then you have those who want to build a new life in a country but complain that the higher salary doesn't go far, or they have to take on more debt to be able to afford that lifestyle they were looking for. Some work longer hours, some miss family. The retired from Northern Europe might find that Spain is the land of milk and honey, because they get more for their money and enjoy the sun. Maybe NZ is your land of milk and honey?

Last edited by Moses2013; Jul 9th 2020 at 10:00 am.