Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is Australia still the land of milk and honey?

Is Australia still the land of milk and honey?

Old Jul 9th 2020, 8:49 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Australia still the land of milk and honey?

Originally Posted by Dreamy
Were you drunk when you wrote this?
I do hope so.
Old Jul 9th 2020, 9:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddy234
I live in New Zealand and i since I've been here 7 years I've made plenty of friends, settled down, got married and have a son. I'm always one of those people who keeps an eye on the economy especially after the last big recession which is one of the main reasons i moved to NZ. With coronavirus things are expected to changed economically and i always like to keep my options open especially since most people in New Zealand are already living quite a financially stretched lifestyle just to keep up. I work in construction and was wondering does Australia still pay a significantly higher wage than New Zealand? For example a qualified carpenter in New Zealand could be expected to make $30 an hour. Also house prices, if we were to go to Australia it would be somewhere cooler like southern Australia or Victoria and maybe even Perth as it isn't very humid. Does anyone live here and if so in terms of employment in construction and housing would you recommend it? One last thing would be weather, we love the weather in Northern Canterbury in New Zealand, for most of the year it's mild/warm/hot and dry. Winter mornings and at night can be very cold however in those days you end up with a beautiful sunny day. Having a warmer climate would be ok especially in the winter just as long as the summers weren't too hot as i work outside lol
If it's the land of milk and honey will only depend what you gain and what you lose. For some people moving these days the higher salaries often mean higher living costs, especially when it comes to housing. You have those who are prepared to live in shabby accommodation, but manage to save more money so they can return home and live mortgage free. Then you have those who want to build a new life in a country but complain that the higher salary doesn't go far, or they have to take on more debt to be able to afford that lifestyle they were looking for. Some work longer hours, some miss family. The retired from Northern Europe might find that Spain is the land of milk and honey, because they get more for their money and enjoy the sun. Maybe NZ is your land of milk and honey?

Last edited by Moses2013; Jul 9th 2020 at 10:00 am.
Old Aug 29th 2020, 9:54 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roseywile
Can I ask, all the Capilano honey I've ever seen on the shelves plainly states "100% Australian honey" both on the labelling AND on the ingredients.

I know marketing can be sneaky sometimes (ie. The claim could try to be legally justified as "we're just saying only the honey component of our product is 100% Australian") but when the actual ingredients state the same..

There is no wording absolutely anywhere on the bottle claiming "made from local and imported ingredients" which I've seen on many other products.

Is there also some breach of labelling regulations here or am I missing something?
Are you saying it isn't made from 100% Australian honey?
Old Aug 31st 2020, 11:58 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roseywile
Can I ask, all the Capilano honey I've ever seen on the shelves plainly states "100% Australian honey" both on the labelling AND on the ingredients.

I know marketing can be sneaky sometimes (ie. The claim could try to be legally justified as "we're just saying only the honey component of our product is 100% Australian") but when the actual ingredients state the same..

There is no wording absolutely anywhere on the bottle claiming "made from local and imported ingredients" which I've seen on many other products.

Is there also some breach of labelling regulations here or am I missing something?
To be honest I'm not sure what you're asking or why but according to their website 'Capilano’s premium Australian honey is sourced from Australian beekeepers who ensure that their bees are foraging in the pristine Australian environment (largely unpopulated national parks and forests).' I don't buy honey from shops, so I don't go down the aisle, let alone look at labels.
Old Sep 4th 2020, 3:00 am
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy
Are you saying it isn't made from 100% Australian honey?

100% Pear?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KNGDZhoRyA&t=17s&ab_channel=evilferris

Old Oct 10th 2020, 5:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I do hope so.
I am impressed with Mr T: it has taken me years to realise he might not be a native English speaker all this time.
(PS I do know I've been off for a few years.....)
Old Oct 11th 2020, 1:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I am impressed with Mr T: it has taken me years to realise he might not be a native English speaker all this time.
(PS I do know I've been off for a few years.....)
All said and done, rather understandable the reasoning behind why you are impressed with content offered up by Mr T. Nothing much of note to my recollection,
happened over the years of your exile and/or detention over the preceding years.
Yes Mr T's English ability is above average, often judged to be of a level above and beyond many a native speaker. But I'm not here to gloat. Prefer argument and debate to
be the deciding factor in place of supposition with regards to might be or may not be and other terminology used to detract from the message.
Old Oct 14th 2020, 7:41 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
To be honest I'm not sure what you're asking or why but according to their website 'Capilano’s premium Australian honey is sourced from Australian beekeepers who ensure that their bees are foraging in the pristine Australian environment (largely unpopulated national parks and forests).' I don't buy honey from shops, so I don't go down the aisle, let alone look at labels.
There was an episode on 7/30 a few years ago that discussed this very thing. Apparently Capilano's is pretty much the only honey that you can buy from the supermarket shelf that is as you've described above. All of the others are diluted with foreign imports, especially from China and tests have frequently found them to impure and contain sugar syrup.
Old Oct 14th 2020, 8:59 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
There was an episode on 7/30 a few years ago that discussed this very thing. Apparently Capilano's is pretty much the only honey that you can buy from the supermarket shelf that is as you've described above. All of the others are diluted with foreign imports, especially from China and tests have frequently found them to impure and contain sugar syrup.
A friend of ours is in the process of acquiring bees/hives etc in order to produce their own honey. My wonderful wife is expressing the desire to investigate doing the same. I've told her that if she does, she's on her own and I want nothing to do with it. I'm not that keen on honey and despite the fact that the world really does need bees, lots of bees, I actually hate the little f**kers
Old Oct 14th 2020, 1:01 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
A friend of ours is in the process of acquiring bees/hives etc in order to produce their own honey. My wonderful wife is expressing the desire to investigate doing the same. I've told her that if she does, she's on her own and I want nothing to do with it. I'm not that keen on honey and despite the fact that the world really does need bees, lots of bees, I actually hate the little f**kers
We've considered it too but I suspect it's like having chooks. Seems like a good idea to begin with until you realise it takes time and effort to look after them - and also things like them attracting flies and vermin. Chooks can be quite entertaining to watch their behaviours though. And they're great garden and kitchen waste composters. But all in all they're not worth the hassle.

Some friends of ours bought one of those hives that you don't have to take out the honeycomb panels to extract the honey - you just turn on a tap at the bottom of the hive and the honey trickles out. He still has it but I don't think he bothers much with taking the honey anymore, lost interest I think - the hive with bees are just there on auto-pilot. The bees themselves are quite passive and no problem at all - not like aggressive African bees....