Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is Australia still the land of milk and honey?

Is Australia still the land of milk and honey?

Old Jul 6th 2020, 8:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Australia still the land of milk and honey?

As someone that lived in NZ (Auckland) for 8 years and has now been in Sydney for the last 3, I would say that Aussie offers far more job opportunities, greater earning potential and very importantly for us the ability to have a home that is comfortable all year around. All those things were missing in NZ, and we have all of them here.

It is not nirvana for sure, and I feel that it is going to be a very bumpy few years coming up for Australia and it is going to get very difficult for Aussies who have become quite fat and happy for a number of reasons. That being said if you hit the right location I reckon you could do very well for yourself, however I can't tell you where that would be as all the news articles point to a downturn in building currently.

As for weather, the summers in Sydney can be unbelievably hot and are probably our least favourite time of the year. Being near the coast or living in mountain ranges can mitigate this quite a bit though.
Old Jul 6th 2020, 9:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
You must have some problems in Perth. Firstly, larger construction sites here in the East are certainly not made up of the newer cheaper immigrants you refer to. You get Lebanese concreters and Chinese tilers but these are not new immigrants. No Indians or Bangladeshis. Trades that require a ticket are certainly those who have done their apprentiships or immigrated and spent the time converting. Labourers are generally your typical alcoholics, an easy buck to spend at the pub.

As for the meth, again can't say it's riddled here either like your prominent AFL players in Perth. Cousins - is that the guy? It might be rife in housing commission but then again, where are cheap drugs not rife in government housing anywhere in the western world? Cocaine does get a good look in but too expensive for most. Again. No different to anywhere in the western world other than the Australia price tends to keep a lid on its use.
I don't see any Indians or Sub Continentals in the building game in Perth. What I see is loads of Chinese, Koreans and Philippine blokes working on sites. Most appear to be on short term visa's sponsored to do the work. I live inner city and many sites around my area are like that. Some are indeed mixed with Aussies and sponsored workers, usually not mixing from observation. There is a large construction now nearing completion, build by a rich Chinese businessman in China, with his daughter supervising operations on the ground here. (she got a degree in UWA) and hence employ many Chinese workers without hiding the fact. Others appear a bit more coy about it. I would not expect Perth to be alone, by any means in this.
Meth is a problem throughout Australia, but I'll stay with what I know, that being WA and here it is chronic.
Now obviously, you may live next to a meth ice making house and not be aware and remain ignorant of the fact. I've witnessed it and people's initial reluctance to admit to or indeed scared of getting dragged in to what is admittingly a somewhat dangerous situation.
Nothing to do with housing commission flats. They actually are in every area. The ones I refer to are the makers, not necessary the users, though the two often overlap. I'll have to finish another time.

Old Jul 6th 2020, 9:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
What I see is loads of Chinese, Koreans and Philippine blokes working on sites. Most appear to be on short term visa's sponsored to do the work.
Appear? I don't believe its possible to sponsor a labourer on a short term visa.

I live inner city and many sites around my area are like that. Some are indeed mixed with Aussies and sponsored workers, usually not mixing from observation. There is a large construction now nearing completion, build by a rich Chinese businessman in China, with his daughter supervising operations on the ground here. (she got a degree in UWA) and hence employ many Chinese workers without hiding the fact. Others appear a bit more coy about it. I would not expect Perth to be alone, by any means in this.
Is there a problem that the backer is Chinese? That site is providing hundreds of visible jobs and many more behind the scenes that don't appear on site. The money needs to come from somewhere to create the jobs - there's that trickle down effect you are so against. Perhaps the supervisor is just a regular Chinese Aussie. You know, her parents emigrated in the 80's, started a family, their daughter went to university, got a degree, then a job. Probably unlikely the site supervisor is a Chinese female but there you go. Might be best to look a little deeper rather than comparing yellow skin to white skin.

Meth is a problem throughout Australia, but I'll stay with what I know, that being WA and here it is chronic.
Now obviously, you may live next to a meth ice making house and not be aware and remain ignorant of the fact. I've witnessed it and people's initial reluctance to admit to or indeed scared of getting dragged in to what is admittingly a somewhat dangerous situation.
Nothing to do with housing commission flats. They actually are in every area. The ones I refer to are the makers, not necessary the users, though the two often overlap. I'll have to finish another time.
Alcohol is more of a problem per capita in Australia like anywhere else in the world.
Old Jul 6th 2020, 11:50 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Is there a problem that the backer is Chinese? That site is providing hundreds of visible jobs and many more behind the scenes that don't appear on site. The money needs to come from somewhere to create the jobs - there's that trickle down effect you are so against. Perhaps the supervisor is just a regular Chinese Aussie. You know, her parents emigrated in the 80's, started a family, their daughter went to university, got a degree, then a job. Probably unlikely the site supervisor is a Chinese female but there you go. Might be best to look a little deeper rather than comparing yellow skin to white skin.
Roughly a million Australian citizens or permanent residents are of Chinese heritage or were born in China - I dunno, but some of them might even work on building sites!
Old Jul 6th 2020, 11:55 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Appear? I don't believe its possible to sponsor a labourer on a short term visa.
Employing anyone on a short term visa is problematic - and has been for a while

Australia should only bring in a very few temporary workers - and only highly skilled ones at that. People should come here as PR or not at all. And stop all that family reunion/parent visa/pensioner shite - skilled under 45 migration only
Old Jul 6th 2020, 12:10 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I want to know how a tradie 'appears to be on a short term visa'. Do they have a different haircut or something?
Old Jul 6th 2020, 1:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu

Australia should only bring in a very few temporary workers - and only highly skilled ones at that. People should come here as PR or not at all. And stop all that family reunion/parent visa/pensioner shite - skilled under 45 migration only
Tell me about. Not exactly easy to do a 457 these days.
Old Jul 6th 2020, 1:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I want to know how a tradie 'appears to be on a short term visa'. Do they have a different haircut or something?
The answer is they don't. Their OS qualifications don't transfer most of the time. He is making stuff up again.
Old Jul 6th 2020, 11:39 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I think there are a few thousand people from various countries, married to Australians, who might take issue with that........
Old Jul 7th 2020, 12:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Alcohol is more of a problem per capita in Australia like anywhere else in the world.
I did write the development was undertaken by a rich businessman from China . That means Overseas Chinese. There is a lot of information, locals in the area are privy to that outsiders would be ignorant off. Some strange reasons saw 'building guidelines'
not applicable in this build, with regards to closeness to footpath , not to mention height while toned down from original number of levels, still rather exceeding height levels to date of surrounding buildings.
But no bigger for me, but plenty of others are referring to various things, but like you, but with greater limitations, I'm a vibe sort , that believes Perth in general, inner city in particular needs a far greater level of alternatives and buzz .

I'm afraid the difference being alcohol has been around for a long time and is a fully accepted drug, which can have beneficial results. I thought Czech Rep, were the largest consumers of alcohol. No matter, Aussies certainly have long had issues,
of not being able to hold their intake or of abuse, although I believe figures show a decline in consumption over recent decades?

Nothing much beneficial about Australia being the number one meth ice using country in the world. You have no idea the numbers behind it, often making considerable income, many present as mortgage brokers or the like (so highly dodgy, I admit,
but mainstream, in appearance to most casual onlookers) It is a major issue in WA country towns. A lot is underreported and the unpleasant nature of this dreadful drug that can disrupt a community or streets within a certain vicinity became crystal clear
in my inner city area, over the past year. Thankfully the main house responsible has been moved on after lease expiry but that's another story .

Old Jul 7th 2020, 12:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The answer is they don't. Their OS qualifications don't transfer most of the time. He is making stuff up again.
You really need to jump onboard the 'awareness wagon' and in turn grab the handle that may in part open your eyes into what is actually going on.
There are way over one million on casual visa's working in an assortment of areas. Construction is but one. The workers that work on sites, usually do the labouring type jobs,
which can include Back packers as well. Before suggesting people are 'making things up' , probably better you at least have some idea to what you comment on.
Old Jul 7th 2020, 1:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Roughly a million Australian citizens or permanent residents are of Chinese heritage or were born in China - I dunno, but some of them might even work on building sites!
Gee really? But you admit you don't know. I doubt many Chinese migrants would enter the country to work as labourers on construction sites, as they wouldn't get a PR visa to migrate in the first place. More likely from the excess of one million of casual temp visa's brought in by firms.
Old Jul 7th 2020, 1:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
It must depend on who you (general) mix with. Obviously there is a drug problem up here, we're no different to the rest of the world and in normal circumstances some parts are party central but it's mainly coke, weed and poppers etc. Not aware of a meth explosion. Meth isn't conducive to partying maybe??

As far as I can tell the vast majority of tradies around here are Aussies. Could be wrong, I have a very handy husband so not something I study other than in general.
Actually there is a difference. That being Australia is the number one user (abuser) of meth ice in the world. Meth ice invokes serious (or can) violence against others, not to mention delusional thinking.
To compare it with weed, poppers or even coke (the latter too expensive, probably for many) but all have nothing remotely the effects of the scourge of meths sweeping society,
Meth is highly addictive and a major cause of violent behaviour in our hospitals for example. It is far stronger than 'the speed' that was around in decades past, hence the magnified results.

I have never known anyone get violent on weed or poppers or I suspect cocaine . But I have witnessed it on meth ice. The loss of inhibitions also incites very abnormal behaviour.
You would do well if living in Australia or New Zealand, (for that matter) and renting out an apartment for example, to get it checked out for meth usage and/or production.
The cost to make habitable can indeed be enormous. There is an entire 'industry' being formed to counter this abuse.

New Zealand actually has a law with regards to the compulsory testing of houses for abuse of meth ice after lease expiry. It is on the books in WA to follow suit, but has been sidetracked with other
legislation. There are obviously some 'issues' around the compulsory nature of testing in benefiting the industry behind it as well.

Old Jul 7th 2020, 4:17 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I think there are a few thousand people from various countries, married to Australians, who might take issue with that........
Didn't you read my post properly? I made no mention of partner visas

Do try harder
Old Jul 7th 2020, 4:21 am
Proudly Deplorable

But you admit you don't know

You're German and obviously don't get the subtleties (sarcasm) of the English language

Not your fault really - apparently it's a tough language to master

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.