Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia Is So Huge How Do You Decide Where To Live?

Australia Is So Huge How Do You Decide Where To Live?

Old Apr 8th 2008, 8:27 pm
Just Joined

MattWest is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Australia Is So Huge How Do You Decide Where To Live?

Hello,

My name is Matt. Me and my other half are just starting out on the long road to oz. I am a carpenter and my wife is in childcare. As we are just starting we obviously have loads of questions. I have tried to search the forums as much as poss., but still feel completely confused.

The 1st wondering is how do you decide which area is right for you?

I have always liked small town life rather than city life.

Level Of Schooling is important as my 1 year old son is the inspiration for the move.

Fishing, windsurfing, kayaking, sailing, snorkelling are all activities that we are into.

I am looking for a community feel, where you go into the local shop and they ask how your wife and kid are.

Being a typical pom spiders scare the hell out of me here, let alone ones that can kill you!

Any ideas of nice towns that can be googled would be appreciated

Thanks
Old Apr 8th 2008, 8:32 pm
sorry..I don't understand

funkydelia is a jewel in the roughfunkydelia is a jewel in the roughfunkydelia is a jewel in the roughfunkydelia is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Australia Is So Huge How Do You Decide Where To Live?

Originally Posted by MattWest
Hello,

My name is Matt. Me and my other half are just starting out on the long road to oz. I am a carpenter and my wife is in childcare. As we are just starting we obviously have loads of questions. I have tried to search the forums as much as poss., but still feel completely confused.

Level Of Schooling is important as my 1 year old son is the inspiration for the move.

Fishing, windsurfing, kayaking, sailing, snorkelling are all activities that we are into.

I am looking for a community feel, where you go into the local shop and they ask how your wife and kid are.

Being a typical pom spiders scare the hell out of me here, let alone ones that can kill you!

Thanks
This may get moved to another part of the site...

I feel exactly the same as you, it is so tempting to head for the city because its easier!

We have an almost 3 year old and he's the inspiration for the move too.

I know I haven't been much help, we've looked at the areas round about Perth and round about Melbourne too.

Maybe we'll just stick a pin in the map and hope it sticks in close to the blue bit!
Old Apr 8th 2008, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

No Dramas is just really niceNo Dramas is just really niceNo Dramas is just really niceNo Dramas is just really niceNo Dramas is just really niceNo Dramas is just really niceNo Dramas is just really niceNo Dramas is just really niceNo Dramas is just really niceNo Dramas is just really niceNo Dramas is just really nice

Have a good think about what you want out of Australia as this will obviously reflect where you will live. How hot do you want it? We are moving to Brisbane where the weather is sub tropical so the hot summers could be a problem for some. Personally I can't wait.

But work was a big factor for us, I work in IT and my wife is a primary school teacher so we have to be near a city. We also have family in Brisbane so the decision was easy.

But you can't beat flying over to Australia and taking a look for yourself.
We checked out Sydney, loved the place but could not see us living there.
Have to been to Australia?

Cost is another factor. Sydney is expensive and you have to pay school fees which is another factor if you have children. In Queensland there are no school fees.
Old Apr 8th 2008, 8:56 pm
Just Joined

MattWest is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah, got to admit the climate is very appealing. To be honest wouldn't even mind going up further than Brisbane. Although the warmer it gets the bigger the critters are!!!

No haven't been down under as yet, all of our research so far has been on the net.

Didn't know about the school fees issue. In fact didn't realise the different states could vary that much.

Thanks for you comments
Old Apr 8th 2008, 9:49 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Forget the critters..

Theres no significant difference in your 'critter exposure' wherever you are in Australia and after seeing how still and easy redback spiders are to avoid you wont worry any more!

Climate is strange one - I'm in Brisbane and love it for 8 months of the year. Strangely its mid-winter as well as min-summer that I dislike. Everyone expects to struggle with the heat and hummidity and when you get a week of 37C 90% in February it does sap your will to live, but the 10C days and 5C nigths in August are surprisingly cold. With architecture designed to let heat out and capture any breezes, what seems like a cool day on paper can feel FREEZING - and with heating a rarity there is no escape. A typical Qld response to a cool evening is to sit in front of the TV in the evening huddled under a blanket!!!

Probably the major factor in deciding where to live is going to be work. As as IT guy myself I was stuck with little choice and had to head to a city but couldnt stomach the mega-cities of Sydney and Melbourne so headed to what was a much smaller Brisbane. Brisbane has now grown to be much the same size these days and suffers many of the usual 'big-city' problems. Deciding where to live is usualy a case of finding a balance between 'employability' and 'livability'

Good luck
Old Apr 8th 2008, 10:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

gillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud of

This thread has some info on school fees in NSW - there is some contradictory advice but a link on it with a table of fees
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ht=school+fees
although NSW may not be your first choice if you like it warm. I've never been so cold as I was in winter when we lived in Sydney! No heating means you are huddled under the duvet watching t.v.
As others have said, define what you are wanting from your new life a little more and you're bound to get lots of help.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 2:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Potato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to behold

I find most parts of the UK (outside of London) to be much friendlier than AUS.

I also haven't seen a spider in over 2 years. Even then it was harmless and easily killed. It's not something to be worried about.

I wouldn't live in north QLD. The humidity would get to me and the people are rednecks.

I would go where you can find work. Money is number 1 when you have a family to support. Australia is an expensive country - don't expect to be able to live it up in style while only working 30 hrs a week. Most folk I know work longer hours in Aus and earn less. Australia has a warmer climate - that's it.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 7:14 am

funkydelia is a jewel in the roughfunkydelia is a jewel in the roughfunkydelia is a jewel in the roughfunkydelia is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Potato_potato

I also haven't seen a spider in over 2 years. Even then it was harmless and easily killed. It's not something to be worried about.

I wouldn't live in north QLD. The humidity would get to me and the people are rednecks.

I would go where you can find work. Money is number 1 when you have a family to support. Australia is an expensive country - don't expect to be able to live it up in style while only working 30 hrs a week. Most folk I know work longer hours in Aus and earn less. Australia has a warmer climate - that's it.
Might just stay here then!
Old Apr 9th 2008, 7:36 am
Unspoilt by progress.....

The Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud of

If you actually think about it - Australia is not so huge when deciding where to live. 80% of the population live around the coast, and then within commutable distance to the big cities.
Depends initially on your line of work, and then appreciating which of the big cities and surrounding area attracts you: Perth, Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane.
We live in a small town (50,000) which is commutable to Brisbane.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 7:48 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

How to decide where to live:
  1. Availability of work in your profession.
  2. Availability of work in your profession.
  3. Availability of work in your profession.
  4. General climate you like (tropo or seasonal etc)
  5. Distance you're prepared to commute.
  6. General landscape you prefer (inland, mountain, rural or coastal)
  7. Cost of property without stretching the finances for the sake of a pool.
  8. Quality of neighbourhood.
  9. Proximity of good schools.
  10. Proximity of good shops.
  11. ...
  12. ...
  13. .....
  14. .....
99. What a friend's neighbour's cousin's sister told your brother's girlfriend's plumber's son.

Simple.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by Hutch
How to decide where to live:
  1. .....
  2. .....
99. What a friend's neighbour's cousin's sister told your brother's girlfriend's plumber's son.

Simple.

And I had that one at number 1. Thanks for pointing out where I was going wrong!
Old Apr 9th 2008, 8:04 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Australia Is So Huge How Do You Decide Where To Live?

What Hutch said.

Unless you are financially independent you must go where there is most likely to be work, or everything else in your migration will not happen.

Buzzy
Old Apr 9th 2008, 8:06 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MattWest
Hello,

Thanks
We are into camping and water sports and love Perth for that reason. It probably isn't a good choice if you are into pubs, clubs and amusement parks but if you want to be close enough to a major city to take advantage but be minutes from the sea/ river / bush I don't think you can fault it.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

Simo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really nice

you clearly have never travelled to derby or nottingham
Old Apr 9th 2008, 11:37 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I love it when people give balanced, non generalised posts. Makes life so simple

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.