Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia slams its education system

Australia slams its education system

Old Sep 22nd 2006, 8:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Australia slams its education system

Hopefully articles like this reaching the front page of The Australian will eventually lead to some serious reviews of the hit and miss education system.

In our experience ( 3 kids, 6 years, high school and primary school, private and state) this article hits the nail on the head, Why are teachers the only profession to have no external reviews. Schools effectively have no checks on their performance, teachers unions are named as being part of the problem.

Having seen classes in the same grade being taught totally different levels/standards of work dependant on the teachers current mood/personal life I am not surprised the unions are protecting the sometimes lazy slobs called teachers. One example, grade 6 kids in our sons class taught 46 pages of a 153 page math book, mates class same grade next door, 153 pages of 153 pages of math book

This year we have reverse, brilliant grade 7 teacher, lardy example next door pulls out the sandwhich toaster mid lesson if he fancies a snack!!

Some consistent standards are well overdue, the article.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...82-601,00.html
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 10:52 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Australia slams its education system

Or, more accurately spin:

Prime Minister John Howard says Australia's education and training system needs to be reformed to address the nation's skills shortages.

Mr Howard has told a conference in Sydney that the nation will need a more skilled work force to compete and prosper in the coming decades.

He says Australia needs to improve the basic skills of its work force, raise apprenticeship completion rates and increase opportunities for people to gain higher skills.

[...]

The Ai Group wants a national skills fund to boost training and it wants the small- and medium-sized businesses to be able to claim a tax deduction of more than 100 per cent for training programs.
ABC.

Which is not as eye-catching as the tabloid title of this thread, but at least has the advantage of being perfectly true.

In a nutshell: Australia has a skills shortage, hence the recent immigration drive. Australia's education system isn't meeting the demands of this skills shortage, and needs an injection of funds to boost its capacity. New initiatives may also be needed, including greater input from the private sector.

That's the long and short of it.
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 11:51 pm
Banned

MD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Australia slams its education system

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Hopefully articles like this reaching the front page of The Australian will eventually lead to some serious reviews of the hit and miss education system.

In our experience ( 3 kids, 6 years, high school and primary school, private and state) this article hits the nail on the head, Why are teachers the only profession to have no external reviews. Schools effectively have no checks on their performance, teachers unions are named as being part of the problem.

Having seen classes in the same grade being taught totally different levels/standards of work dependant on the teachers current mood/personal life I am not surprised the unions are protecting the sometimes lazy slobs called teachers. One example, grade 6 kids in our sons class taught 46 pages of a 153 page math book, mates class same grade next door, 153 pages of 153 pages of math book

This year we have reverse, brilliant grade 7 teacher, lardy example next door pulls out the sandwhich toaster mid lesson if he fancies a snack!!

Some consistent standards are well overdue, the article.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...82-601,00.html

Same problems in the UK.
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 12:13 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MD09

Same problems in the UK.
Actually the problem in the UK is the exact opposite - government keep screwing about with the system, imposing ludicrious testing and paperwork regimes on teachers, buggering about with exams, imposing short-term fixes at the behest of Daily Mail editorials and concentrating on 'bright' kids at 'good' schools at the expence of ordinary kids from sink estates in the inner-city. The teachers unions in the UK have no teeth whatsoever.
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 12:36 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Actually the problem in the UK is the exact opposite - government keep screwing about with the system, imposing ludicrious testing and paperwork regimes on teachers, buggering about with exams, imposing short-term fixes at the behest of Daily Mail editorials and concentrating on 'bright' kids at 'good' schools at the expence of ordinary kids from sink estates in the inner-city. The teachers unions in the UK have no teeth whatsoever.
That's not quite true. When we were looking for a school for my boy, I pointed out to the headmaster that in the current OFSTED report, his school was failing the brighter kids. His reply was that they had to get good results on the SATS. The bright kids would pass so didn't need attention, the thick kids had no hope so also wouldn't be given attention. The borderline kids could be helped to pass so resources would be concentrated on them. Needless to say, my boy didn't go to that school.

And Vash, did you actually read the article posted by Jada? While your arguments may be valid, they are a completely different issue. The article and Jada were talking about the quality (and measurement of) of teaching, not turning out little robots to power Johnnies machine.

I have to say that I am very happy with the primary education my boy has received so far, but I know that he has been lucky with his teachers. They have been fantastic, but it could easily have gone the other way.

Jane

Last edited by JaneandJim; Sep 23rd 2006 at 12:54 am.
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 12:52 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

As a trainee teacher I have been incredibly concerned with the intellectual level of some of my peers. How some of them got through their T.E.E's is beyond me But the uni keeps on supporting them, taking their money and allowing them to continue.

Personally, I would be worried sick if any one of those dolts were to graduate and be allowed to teach my kids.
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 1:16 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Or, more accurately spin:

Prime Minister John Howard says Australia's education and training system needs to be reformed to address the nation's skills shortages.

Mr Howard has told a conference in Sydney that the nation will need a more skilled work force to compete and prosper in the coming decades.

He says Australia needs to improve the basic skills of its work force, raise apprenticeship completion rates and increase opportunities for people to gain higher skills.

[...]

The Ai Group wants a national skills fund to boost training and it wants the small- and medium-sized businesses to be able to claim a tax deduction of more than 100 per cent for training programs.
ABC.

Which is not as eye-catching as the tabloid title of this thread, but at least has the advantage of being perfectly true.

In a nutshell: Australia has a skills shortage, hence the recent immigration drive. Australia's education system isn't meeting the demands of this skills shortage, and needs an injection of funds to boost its capacity. New initiatives may also be needed, including greater input from the private sector.

That's the long and short of it.
Are you just trying to deflect attention from the damning comments made by

AUSTRALIA'S REPRESENTATIVE ON THE EXECUTIVE OF THE UN EDUCATION BODY (UNESCO) PROF KENNETH WILTSHIRE?

It's a bit of a bombshell considering who made the comments.

If you could hold off from researching data which slags off the UK system in a worse way, and read the article in full then the header to this thread isn't tabloid at all.

The article is taking comments about Australia's education system made by the country's representative at the highest international body.
I think the thread's title is a fairly accurate reflection of the article in the country's only national quality newspaper.

(The article is actually a critical appraisal of the role of the states' in undermining the system)

It all sounds depressingly accurate to me.
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 1:25 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich

Teaching from books is considered very 'Old School' now (if you'll pardon the pun) and is not encouraged. What is encouraged is developing a range of engaging activities that children of all abilities can gain something from.

The days of sitting and working through exercises in text books is long gone now. Text books can be used as part of a holistic classroom approach, but never as the sole basis of a scheme of work. How would you rate a teacher that had a real ability to get their subject across without the use of text books, using other methods? Are they any better or worse than a teacher that just gives out the text books at the beginning of the lesson and takes them back in at the end?

S

Last edited by Swerv-o; Sep 23rd 2006 at 1:30 am.
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 1:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Teaching from books is considered very 'Old School' now (if you'll pardon the pun) and is not encouraged. What is encouraged is developing a range of engaging activities that children of all abilities can gain something from.

The days of sitting and working through exercises in text books is long gone now. Text books can be used as part of a holistic classroom approach, but never as the sole basis of a scheme of work. How would you rate a teacher that had a real ability to get thier subject across without the use of text books, using other methods? Are they any better or worse than a teacher that just gives out the text books at the beginning of the lesson and takes them back in at the end?

S

What's a text book? The last time I saw any of my kids working from a text book was when my eldest son was about 7 or 8 (he's 18 now).
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 3:22 am
Forum Regular

Desire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to behold

My eldest daughter who is 12, has a great teacher.
My youngest daughter aged 10 (same school) her teacher is absolutely useless.
They do maths about once every 4 weeks! They are learning x tables at the moment.. 2s, 5s and 10s :scared: Adding, they are asked to add figures such as 60+40 and 10+20. My daughter did that kind of maths aged 6/7 years.
Needless to say, we print maths/ English sheets off the net to help keep her stimulated.
I did speak to her teacher, she said to me they dont like to pressure the children at such a young age.
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 3:35 am
Wanderer

Location: Australia, Scotland, NZ, China, Spain, Scotland again wha hae!
saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold

Great, so now the masses will bring out their pitchforks and run about attacking teachers for the state of the nation. What bollocks. There may be issues in the Australian education system - that's what you get when government tries to provide education for the entire nation. There are plenty of problems in the UK system - English teachers are amongst the biggest whingers I've ever met. Just have a look at their TES staffroom board for a taste...

This kind of scaremongering achieves nothing - the good teachers just get hounded with miles of extra paperwork that interrupts the good work they were actually doing and the crap teachers manage to scrape through by hiding behind all the fuss created by tabloid headlines. Perhaps the government should be doing more to encourage parents to homeschool their kids, seeing as they think they're going to do a better job? Perhaps if the parents were actually teaching their little angels how to behave in a civilized manner instead of appearing at my door with smug, spoilt and rotten attitudes and the behaviour to match, we might all see some better results?
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 4:04 am
BE Enthusiast

lollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MD09

Same problems in the UK.

as a primary school teacher i coulnt disagree with you more...
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 4:07 am
BE Enthusiast

lollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Actually the problem in the UK is the exact opposite - government keep screwing about with the system, imposing ludicrious testing and paperwork regimes on teachers, buggering about with exams, imposing short-term fixes.... The teachers unions in the UK have no teeth whatsoever.

as a primary school teacher couldnt agree with you more.
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 7:21 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by matildaskye
Great, so now the masses will bring out their pitchforks and run about attacking teachers for the state of the nation. What bollocks. There may be issues in the Australian education system - that's what you get when government tries to provide education for the entire nation. There are plenty of problems in the UK system - English teachers are amongst the biggest whingers I've ever met. Just have a look at their TES staffroom board for a taste...

This kind of scaremongering achieves nothing - the good teachers just get hounded with miles of extra paperwork that interrupts the good work they were actually doing and the crap teachers manage to scrape through by hiding behind all the fuss created by tabloid headlines. Perhaps the government should be doing more to encourage parents to homeschool their kids, seeing as they think they're going to do a better job? Perhaps if the parents were actually teaching their little angels how to behave in a civilized manner instead of appearing at my door with smug, spoilt and rotten attitudes and the behaviour to match, we might all see some better results?
I'm a teacher here in Australia. There are some hopeless teachers - but there are some awful teachers in the UK also.

There is less acountability here compared with the UK though - but the biggest problem - in WA at least - is a hopelessly out of touch (and not too clever) education minister.
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 7:41 am
Banned

MD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lollyno1
as a primary school teacher i coulnt disagree with you more...
We must come from a different UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.