Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia - or should that be Tradieland?!

Australia - or should that be Tradieland?!

Old Dec 14th 2009, 12:10 am
Banned

mono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Australia - or should that be Tradieland?!

Is it my imagination or is there a proliferation of ''tradies'' in Australia?

Every second bloke seems to be a tradie of some kind. In my business I meet lots of people and vast, vast numbers are tradies. Very few professionals in business suits around.

In the UK, people seemed to do a very wide range of different things for a living. Here in Melbourne, it's all builders, concrete workers etc etc.

Is there a reason for this?
Old Dec 14th 2009, 12:36 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Australia - or should that be Tradieland?!

In Australia tradies are paid considerable salaries and unlike the UK homes here are constantly being renovated, build and knocked down so demand is higher.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 1:14 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mono

Every second bloke seems to be a tradie of some kind. In my business I meet lots of people and vast, vast numbers are tradies. Very few professionals in business suits around.

In the UK, people seemed to do a very wide range of different things for a living. Here in Melbourne, it's all builders, concrete workers etc etc.

Perhaps it could be the area you hang out in. I work in Perth CBD and see very few tradies about. On the train into and out of the city it's all business wear and ties. Same for when I was in Melbourne.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 1:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Working on the 'trade counter' at Bunnings may be the issue . . .
Old Dec 14th 2009, 1:28 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

You don't see as many tradies in the UK because no one takes on apprentices there anymore. My trade was certainly dying when I left and many more going the same way. It is not fashionable to work with your hands in the UK either and to some degree, tradies are held in higher regard here.
Plenty suits in the cbd though.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 1:31 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weebie
In Australia tradies are paid considerable salaries
Some are but most are paid shit.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 1:33 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Yep. Not that many employed on more than 25-30 bucks an hour
Old Dec 14th 2009, 1:34 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Ask any brickie! My son wanted to be a bricklayer but when he worked out how hard they work and how relatively little they get paid he has decided he would rather do something else. He's now looking at plumbing.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 1:35 am
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

Every second bloke seems to be a tradie of some kind. In my business I meet lots of people and vast, vast numbers are tradies.
Depends on your business.

What do you do?
Old Dec 14th 2009, 1:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

Perhaps the professionals aren't wearing suits? I've noticed here that a lot of them don't. Types who do actual business still wear them, but it seems to be that professionals in engineering, IT and so on don't.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 1:40 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
He's now looking at plumbing.
They seem to do okay - same as sparkies.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 1:43 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by Deutschmaster
Types who do actual business still wear them, but it seems to be that professionals in engineering, IT and so on don't.
I work in engineering and no one where a suit or tie - even some of the very senior managers wear casual or polo shirts.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 1:49 am
Account Closed

They seem to do okay - same as sparkies.
Sparky seems to be a good trade to be in, reasonable remuneration and usually a path to develop your career should you wish
Old Dec 14th 2009, 1:58 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by kporte
Sparky seems to be a good trade to be in, reasonable remuneration and usually a path to develop your career should you wish
It stood me in good stead - best decision I made was to do an electrical trade.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 2:29 am
Banned

mono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus
Working on the 'trade counter' at Bunnings may be the issue . . .
So I own Bunnings, do I?! Thanks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.