Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia by Sea?

Australia by Sea?

Old Jan 7th 2007, 8:32 am
BE Forum Addict

midgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Australia by Sea?

Now this may seem like a stupid question, but has anyone looked into travelling to Australia by sea instead of flying there?

Was wondering how cost/comfort would compare.

Obviously flying is the quickest way but was thinking of a cruise ?????
Old Jan 7th 2007, 9:52 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Australia by Sea?

Originally Posted by midgetjan
Now this may seem like a stupid question, but has anyone looked into travelling to Australia by sea instead of flying there?

Was wondering how cost/comfort would compare.

Obviously flying is the quickest way but was thinking of a cruise ?????
Yes, I looked at it. It was prohibitively expensive and I have a life ... the shipping container would have made it before we did! Check it out but prepare yourself for the cost shock!
Old Jan 7th 2007, 11:03 am
BE Forum Addict

midgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps not then. Cost is an issue and I have a life too!!

Haven't looked at it at all - was just wondering if anyone else had.

Husband's not looking forward to the long flight back, so it was just a thought.

Perhaps not a very sensible choice anyway seeing as how I get sea sick on a pedalo.
Old Jan 7th 2007, 11:19 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Husband's not looking forward to the long flight back, so it was just a thought.

Perhaps not a very sensible choice anyway seeing as how I get sea sick on a pedalo.
ROFL! Plane's quicker, that's for sure.
Old Jan 7th 2007, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

khoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant future

Nah...

Hide in a box

Go with your container

Come out at Spain, and just enjoy the sun on the deck.

Food - hmm that's what Mars bars are for. So long as there's none left at customs you'll be fine!
Old Jan 7th 2007, 11:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Maybe could smuggle the dog in there too and save on more costs
Old Jan 7th 2007, 11:46 am
skye

we looked at this as OH not too keen on flying!!! with P&O in the lowest grade cabin - took 42 days from southampton to sydney - ok stops at lots of lovely places- cost £4k each - decided it would be cheaper to buy sleeping tablets and alcohol!!!

Old Jan 7th 2007, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

LMAO

Yes I can see the sense in that.

Old Jan 7th 2007, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

khoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant future

Maybe could smuggle the dog in there too and save on more costs
and your food problem is sorted
Old Jan 8th 2007, 2:52 pm
Greetings Traveller

JustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to all

There was a thread on the Barbie a while ago on this. You can go by cargo ship but it is an adventure in itself so only worth considering if you want another travel experience under your belt. You can go mainly over land too now as some eco-friendly outfit has just set up a company that will take people in old Greyhound houses - again mainly it will be adventure travel types. Unless you have all the time in the world, it's not likely to be worth it - you'll be thinking "I could have been there 4 weeks ago!"
Old Jan 8th 2007, 3:45 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

I looked into this a bit as my dad is unable to fly longhaul and going with shipment is meant to be pretty good. Theres only room for about 50 people and they look after you well. Havnt found out costs yet just know its available if needed!!!! C x
Old Jan 8th 2007, 5:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Could you let me know if you find out cost and time involved please?

Would be interesting to see.

Thanks

Jan
Old Jan 8th 2007, 11:07 pm
I need a beer.....

snappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to behold

Could you let me know if you find out cost and time involved please?

Would be interesting to see.

Thanks

Jan
I know someone who travelled to Australia by sea with P&O and yes it is very costly but they had a holiday of a lifetime even went through the panama canal which was an amazing experience for them.

It does take time and a lot of money but an ultimate experience and one you could always recount with the grand kids about your journey to Oz.

For me personally the thought of being on a ship for any length of time makes me want to hurl no matter how good the stop off points were

Sasha
Old Jan 8th 2007, 11:14 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Would you consider smaller flights ie Fly to Europe, then middle East, then Asia and finally onto Oz?

We did this with Emirates and it really helped with:
Filling in time awaiting our container
Allowed us to adjust quickly to the different time zones
No flights were longer than 7 hours