Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia to roll out the world's fastest wireless broadband network

Australia to roll out the world's fastest wireless broadband network

Old Feb 17th 2009, 8:02 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Australia to roll out the world's fastest wireless broadband network

"wireless" broadband network

Telstra Corporation will roll out what it says is the world's fastest wireless broadband network, over the next two months.

Telstra will be increasing the maximum speed of its Next G mobile network to 21 megabits per second.

Telstra would increase the speed to 42 Mbps towards the end of 2009 and in early 2010.

Optus' network operates at a maximum speed of 7.2 Mbps, and others at maximum speeds of 3.6 Mbps.

But Optus said Telstra customers will have to buy a new modem and "live or work" beneath an exchange to achieve the [maximum] speed increase

Telstra's services cost more than double its rivals, with a 1 gigabyte (GB) pack costing $59 a month. Optus offers 6GB for $59.99 and Vodafone offers 5GB for $39.95.

Old Feb 17th 2009, 9:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia to roll out the world's fastest wireless broadband network

You do not need a contract with Telstra you can go prepaid. We have prepaid wireless for when we go away with Next G and its the only one that has the cover we require, which is in the countryside.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 9:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia to roll out the world's fastest wireless broadband network

The prices you quote are PAYG. If you need it all the time contract is cheaper by far

eg telstra 5gb $89.95 then half price for first year of 3 year contract if you have home phone (Budget line $20) or mobile (from $14) with them . Then cheaper to buy yourself out of contract and start again, when hopefully deals have improved.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 10:29 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

Telstra Corporation will roll out what it says is the world's fastest wireless broadband network, over the next two months.

Telstra will be increasing the maximum speed of its Next G mobile network to 21 megabits per second.

Telstra would increase the speed to 42 Mbps towards the end of 2009 and in early 2010.

Optus' network operates at a maximum speed of 7.2 Mbps, and others at maximum speeds of 3.6 Mbps.

But Optus said Telstra customers will have to buy a new modem and "live or work" beneath an exchange to achieve the [maximum] speed increase

Telstra's services cost more than double its rivals, with a 1 gigabyte (GB) pack costing $59 a month. Optus offers 6GB for $59.99 and Vodafone offers 5GB for $39.95.
Shame they can't do the same for their fixed-line ADSL service...
Old Feb 17th 2009, 11:49 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
Shame they can't do the same for their fixed-line ADSL service...
Too much cable needed for the size of the country = too expensive.

Maybe they are hopeing everyone will go wireless.

If they did spend billions on getting the fixed line working fast, and then everyone deserted it to wireless, it would be a costly mistake...

I can possibly see two sides to this now.

Old Feb 18th 2009, 1:56 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Too much cable needed for the size of the country = too expensive.
Agreed, however there are many metropolitan areas that are sub-standard.
Old Feb 18th 2009, 2:11 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

I couldn't give 2 hoots what Telstra do......I'll never ever willingly cross their sticky palm with a single $ of mine. I'd prefer to give my custom to their competitors who try their best to provide competition in spite of Telstra making that as difficult as possible.

</rant>
Old Feb 18th 2009, 2:12 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
I couldn't give 2 hoots what Telstra do......I'll never ever willingly cross their sticky palm with a single $ of mine. I'd prefer to give my custom to their competitors who try their best to provide competition in spite of Telstra making that as difficult as possible.

</rant>
Isn't that badly formed XML?
Old Feb 18th 2009, 2:13 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
Isn't that badly formed XML?
<sorry>
Yes
</sorry>
Old Feb 18th 2009, 2:31 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

Originally Posted by bcworld
<sorry>
Yes
</sorry>
Hmmmm?

Maybe:

<pedantic_example>
<groveling_apology>
Sorry
</groveling_apology>
</pedantic_example>
Old Feb 18th 2009, 2:57 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum....cfm?t=1145285

I just wish I could get 7.6mbps.

Test Results from Oz Broadband Speed Test
----------------------------------
Test run on 18/02/2009 @ 01:38 PM

Mirror: Telstra Bigpond
Data: 3 MB
Test Time: 91.94 secs

Your line speed is 266 kbps (0.27 Mbps).
Your download speed is 33 KB/s (0.03 MB/s).
We have remote sites where it is NextG or sat. Next G SLAs are non existent and service quality is variable. To take advantage of the speeds above you need a particular modem with a new firmware.

The big issue with Next G is price even compared to other mobile providers. The main benefit, which telstra know, is that no one else has anywhere near the coverage in remote areas. The technology is good but as with anything Telstra the pricing is cr@p. Sol was even showing off that Bigpond cable broadband could do 50mbs but he will not turn it on unless a competitor did.

Telstras pricing for the NBN is also double that of other ISPs so luckily they got booted out of the process.
Old Feb 18th 2009, 5:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

God know how Telstra will ever manage that, they couldn't organise a kid's birthday party:curse:

We were told when we arrived how crap they and Bigpond were but we stupidly thought we would be ok, we have had a nightmare with them since we moved house 8 weeks ago, they have over charged us, messed up our account several times, closed our broadband subscription last week for no reason other than a technical error, meaning we have had to get a new email address, I could rant on and on ........

Sorry, just saw the name Telstra and it set me off!

Incidentally when I spoke to them last week and they refused to apologise for cancelling our account, they tried to flog me the wireless service and said we wouldn't have had any problems if we had that, bit late now as we've already had 8 weeks of hassle with them!

Sam
Old Feb 18th 2009, 5:57 am
BE Enthusiast

NigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond repute

The mistake was made when Telecom Australia was privatised, it merged with OTC and became Telstra. Telstra should never have been allowed to have retail customers, they should have been moved to a separate privatised company. Telstra would then have had an incentive to roll out a more up-to-date network that they could sell onto their retailers. We might have even had a lot more fibre direct to homes to provide speeds many times faster and cheaper than what we have.

On a related subject, the current HDTV standard was agreed in 1975, you know how long it took to develop and introduce. During August last year a new replacement standard was agreed, it has 16 times the definition of HDTV along with 22.2 channel sound, it is not expected to be implemented for 10 to 15 years but when it is it will need fibre to be connected to everyone's home, it needs a speed of 20 GBytes per second. Manufacturers of video equipment will now be commencing design procedures for this standard, the telcos need to start now if they are going to have their network ready in time; by the time it is implemented home entertainment will not be the only thing needing lots of bandwidth.
Old Feb 18th 2009, 7:03 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sammy T
God know how Telstra will ever manage that, they couldn't organise a kid's birthday party:curse:
They got Ericcson to build and manage the network for them. I know an Ericcson techo.

I bought a domain through freeparking.co.uk when I left Britain. It means I can forward e-mail to wherever I want. There are other sites that do the same.
Old Feb 18th 2009, 9:20 am
Banned

bizventures15 is an unknown quantity at this point

well i can only hope new zealand becomes more tech oriented and wifi ready too

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.