Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia, Republic, change flag, reduce immigration.

Australia, Republic, change flag, reduce immigration.

Old Jan 25th 2010, 12:01 am
Forum Regular

Cuppa10 has a brilliant futureCuppa10 has a brilliant futureCuppa10 has a brilliant futureCuppa10 has a brilliant futureCuppa10 has a brilliant futureCuppa10 has a brilliant future
Default Australia, Republic, change flag, reduce immigration.

I am a British / Australian dual citizen. I came here when I was 4 years, 11months old.

I have really been feeling down about Australia lately.

It seems that Australians seem to really dislike Brits these days, they are so rude and arrogant sometimes.

They want to become a republic which is understandable. I'm not into that, but I suppose it's understandable. They want to change the flag, remove the union jack and stick an aboriginal symbol in it.

People walking around with southern cross tattoo's all over them. "**** off we're full" stickers, wanting to severely cap immigration.

Has Australia always been like this? Maybe I'm just noticing now.

Maybe I'm just taking this personally as I'm British and I'm an Immigrant and I happen to like the union jack and the queen.

I really feel like there is a major surge in xenophobic racism veiled in nationalistic pride though, lately.

Something strange is happening to Australia. It seems to be becoming very Americanised. Something has changed in the last 10 or so years...

But hey, I left the UK when I was a little kid, so I would probably feel a lot more out of place over there than here.

What do you, as expats feel about this?
Old Jan 25th 2010, 1:05 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Australia, Republic, change flag, reduce immigration.

Originally Posted by Cuppa10
But hey, I left the UK when I was a little kid, so I would probably feel a lot more out of place over there than here.

I spent 10 years here in Australia before returning to the UK, and the UK was not like I remembered it. I had rose tinted specs on when I went back.

My return to Australia allowed me a better comparison again.

Most Australians I meet seem very OK, mainly nice normal people.
There are a few odd sods, but I avoid them when I can.

Old Jan 25th 2010, 1:09 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Republic - Yes
Change flag - No
Reduce immigration - No (increase amount of UN refugees and accept no boat people)
Old Jan 25th 2010, 1:17 am
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold

I am a British / Australian dual citizen. I came here when I was 4 years, 11months old.

It seems that Australians seem to really dislike Brits these days, they are so rude and arrogant sometimes.

They want to become a republic which is understandable. I'm not into that, but I suppose it's understandable. They want to change the flag, remove the union jack and stick an aboriginal symbol in it.

People walking around with southern cross tattoo's all over them. "**** off we're full" stickers, wanting to severely cap immigration.

Has Australia always been like this? Maybe I'm just noticing now.

Maybe I'm just taking this personally as I'm British and I'm an Immigrant and I happen to like the union jack and the queen.

I really feel like there is a major surge in xenophobic racism veiled in nationalistic pride though, lately.

Something strange is happening to Australia. It seems to be becoming very Americanised. Something has changed in the last 10 or so years...

Yes Aussies rightly have nationalistic pride, I think thats great, but its certainly not racist. Get a life
Old Jan 25th 2010, 1:18 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

I think for probably most of us on this site whose experience of Australia doesn't go back more than 10 years it's a difficult one to answer.

There's nothing wrong with being patriotic of course, but I agree that the kind of 'blind' patriotism people often equate with Americans is quite evident here. I have many Aussie friends who agree with you that Australia has changed in this respect (for the worse)...and they generally put the blame firmly at John Howard's door. You'll often see this argument put forward in some of the opinion pieces which appear in the newspapers shortly before Australia day every year.

People I know will say that Howard was jingoistic & parochial and that has rubbed off on the country to some extent.

I am course just relaying what people tell me....I've never been to Australia pre Howard.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 1:23 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

"**** off we're full" stickers, wanting to severely cap immigration.
Article in the paper this morning saying that the alternative 'F**k on we're empty' should apply!
Old Jan 25th 2010, 1:37 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Republic - Yes
Change flag - No
Reduce immigration - No (increase amount of UN refugees and accept no boat people)

Republic - not bothered, but I am reluctant to see *another* level of pointless government introduced, so am strongly in favour of an appointed president/head of state if we go down this route.

Change Flag - No - I like the current flag - it pays homage to the European history of the country - the history that has mad it the place it is today - and is an iconic representation for a flag. Much better than the usually dull tricolores that most countries have.

Reduce immigration - No - I think they need to look at making it easier for people with skills to arrive and start work more quickly, without additional local licencing. This particularly in the trades. Maybe incorporate the trades licencing in the skills assessment process.

The population is aging rapidly - only this morning the ABC were reporting that soon 25% of the population will be retired. The baby bonus scheme is a red herring. We need more people paying taxes now, not in 25 years time. Skilled immigration is the only way to achieve this, and should factor heavily in the government's immigration policy.

I think there is an element of underlying racism here - I don't think it's directed at anybody in particular, just more of a 'know who the outsiders are' feel. I can't put my finger on it, but I do agree there is something.

Unfortunately for the rascists, as we move forward, information becomes less distant, and the economy less exotic, immigration and outsiders are going to play an increasingly important role in keeping the country going.

Australia day this year represents the 10th anniversary of my first arrival in Australia. I do think it's a less welcoming place than it was, 10 years ago, which is a great shame.

S
Old Jan 25th 2010, 1:38 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BAY
Yes Aussies rightly have nationalistic pride, I think thats great, but its certainly not racist. Get a life
I reckon australia has become much less racist.

I first came here in 87 for a year and I remember seeing T-shirts in the shops, one was "Ski the Slopes" which showed someone skiing over a load of asians. The other one was "Life's like that" showing an aboriginal on the side of the road who had just been knocked down by a road train.

Couldn't get away with that now.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 1:40 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Reduce Immigration - Yes.

They ought to encourage people to do apprenticeships rather than import the skills, which is cheaper.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 1:46 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Republic - not bothered, but I am reluctant to see *another* level of pointless government introduced, so am strongly in favour of an appointed president/head of state if we go down this route.

Change Flag - No - I like the current flag - it pays homage to the European history of the country - the history that has mad it the place it is today - and is an iconic representation for a flag. Much better than the usually dull tricolores that most countries have.

Reduce immigration - No - I think they need to look at making it easier for people with skills to arrive and start work more quickly, without additional local licencing. This particularly in the trades. Maybe incorporate the trades licencing in the skills assessment process.

The population is aging rapidly - only this morning the ABC were reporting that soon 25% of the population will be retired. The baby bonus scheme is a red herring. We need more people paying taxes now, not in 25 years time. Skilled immigration is the only way to achieve this, and should factor heavily in the government's immigration policy.

I think there is an element of underlying racism here - I don't think it's directed at anybody in particular, just more of a 'know who the outsiders are' feel. I can't put my finger on it, but I do agree there is something.

Unfortunately for the rascists, as we move forward, information becomes less distant, and the economy less exotic, immigration and outsiders are going to play an increasingly important role in keeping the country going.

Australia day this year represents the 10th anniversary of my first arrival in Australia. I do think it's a less welcoming place than it was, 10 years ago, which is a great shame.

S
If we go down the republic route I reckon we don't need a president. A sytem with a PM who is accountable to parliament through a strong constitution will suffice.

There has been a lot written recently about Australia's increasing population - say to 35m in our lifetimes. I'm all for it. Australia with 35-40m, with it's resources will be a regional power (it already is to a certain degree) and have an economy rivalling the larger European ones (France, Germany, UK). Europe has a real problem with it's aging population. They will have no choice but to increase migration from the 3rd (read Muslim) world - one of the drivers behind getting Turkey into the EU. I don't want us to be in the same situation, so we need to drastically increase skilled migration now.

Last edited by Amazulu; Jan 25th 2010 at 1:49 am.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 1:49 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Australia, Republic, change flag, reduce immigration.

Republic: yes, the sooner the better.
Change the flag: yes, the sooner the better.
Reduce immigration: no, that would be madness.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 2:31 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Who are all these Australians wanting to change the flag? Other than an elitist minority, most are happy with the flag the way it is.

The Australian mainstream is happy with the idea of a republic but not so agreed on what the alternative should be. In any case, the Australian monarchy was legally severed from the British monarchy long ago and in future there is no reason why the same person should occupy both offices.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 2:45 am
Forum Regular

big_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud of

If I was Australian I'd want the flag changed. Not sure what relevance it has to todays Australia.

The Southern Cross is a star constellation that can be seen anywhere in the southern hemisphere, and the country has had only very loose ties to the UK for a long time.

Its also a pretty unimaginative, ordinary flag. I suppose most flags are like that though.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 2:57 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by big_matt
If I was Australian I'd want the flag changed. Not sure what relevance it has to todays Australia.

The Southern Cross is a star constellation that can be seen anywhere in the southern hemisphere, and the country has had only very loose ties to the UK for a long time.

Its also a pretty unimaginative, ordinary flag. I suppose most flags are like that though.
It reflects Australia's history and position in the world and is better than any ghastly third world banner that would probably replace it.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 3:06 am
Forum Regular

big_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JAJ
It reflects Australia's history and position in the world and is better than any ghastly third world banner that would probably replace it.
Does it reflect Australia's history? I don't think the aboriginal community would agree.

The southern cross has absolutely nothing to do with Australia (it's on the brazilian flag and many others also and is simply a star constellation that is viewed best below the equator) and the union jack represents a specific time in Australia's history.

I don't think it really reflects australia in any way, and was it not seinfeld that joked that the flag looks like britain at night?

I don't have an issue with people saying they like the flag or want to keep it. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I just don't think it really symbolises Australia in any way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.