Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is Australia really THAT expensive?

Is Australia really THAT expensive?

Old Jul 10th 2010, 10:45 pm
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of
Default Re: Is Australia really THAT expensive?

a couple more things that are more expensive in Australia -

10 Pin Bowling for a family of 4 (2 under 5yrs) -

OZ $32.00 per game off peak
UK £5.00 per game off peak

Cinema for a family of 4 -

OZ - $38 off peak (midweek deal)
UK - £15.80 off peak (midweek deal)
Old Jul 11th 2010, 12:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coolshadows

hmm...again personally I would consider that about parity - worst case for me.

Actual - far cheaper in Australia.

It depends on income of course.
Old Jul 11th 2010, 2:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

One time in Canada we went ice skating, bowling, wave pool etc with 4 kids, 2 of mine 2 of my mates, when they would say $8 I thought they meant per kid, and start handing over 30 odd bucks, thinking wooo thats cheap, then they look at me like some weirdo and say no, thats $8 for the 4 kids.

After aussie prices were like OMG they thought we were crazy

Hotels were brill too, kids stayed free up to age 16. Another night we went to the spaghetti factory and my pommy mate pulls out a heap of canadian coupons and 9 of us ate a 3 course meal for $29

I know the wages can be lower there, but for a family they certainly look after you
Old Jul 11th 2010, 4:08 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by bcworld
I'm (not) shocked that ABCD couldn't find them cheaper!

Starting here at £296.95.
I don't know where to buy things in the UK at the best prices, just the same as many people new to Australia don't know where to buy things here at the best prices.

These things work both ways you know

Old Jul 11th 2010, 4:26 am
ABCDiamond

It depends where you go.

Our local Cinema would be $24 off peak and $30 peak.

http://www.amfbowling.com.au $14.90 per game adults
http://www.amfbowling.co.uk £5.85 per game adults

Old Jul 11th 2010, 4:39 am
Forum Regular

lastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
It depends where you go.

Our local Cinema would be $24 off peak and $30 peak.
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_hj8k2cqkmsQ/TD...10-offpeak.jpg

http://www.amfbowling.com.au $14.90 per game adults
http://www.amfbowling.co.uk £5.85 per game adults
Mate, you can look link up as many examples as you want. We budget, we go to markets for veg, we buy quarter cows, get it chopped up for $6.99/kg, we get whole lambs and get it chopped up for less than anywhere I've seen it, we are careful and put far more effort into being careful here than ever needed to in the UK and do you know why?

Because it's more expensive to live here, it's not a difficult concept to grasp.
Old Jul 11th 2010, 5:30 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by lastone
Mate, you can look link up as many examples as you want.
Why not, everyone else gives examples, but without showing any links.... I think links to confirm these things are good. for everyone who is really interested.

Because it's more expensive to live here, it's not a difficult concept to grasp.
It is if you don't think the same as you.

Maybe it is more expensive in some areas, in fact I am sure it is, but there are other areas where it may not be.

Old Jul 11th 2010, 6:03 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Why not, everyone else gives examples, but without showing any links.... I think links to confirm these things are good. for everyone who is really interested.
There have been many, many times when for whatever reason you don't provide a source / link.
Old Jul 11th 2010, 6:28 am
BE Enthusiast

pomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond repute

I paid $68 for a family of four last weekend to watch a 3D movie on a 'special' price in Perth. Add the popcorn and cokes and it was almost $100 for a couple of hours entertainment. A trip to the cinema is a rare occasion, thesedays - too expensive unfortunately, we wait to hire out the DVD for home viewing.

10 pin bowling in Perth, family of 4 per game (2 under 5) is $56.80 , no off peak but they do have special offers on now and then. Extra $5 per person per extra game.

http://www.amfbowling.com.au/Centres/WA/Joondalup.aspx

Perth wins again on most expensive price!
Old Jul 11th 2010, 7:06 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pomtastic
A trip to the cinema is a rare occasion, thesedays -
Not that rare... I've just this min heard on the radio that there was 4.5million cinema viewings last week in Australia. Almost 1 in 5 of the population.
Old Jul 11th 2010, 7:28 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Not that rare... I've just this min heard on the radio that there was 4.5million cinema viewings last week in Australia. Almost 1 in 5 of the population.
I know some people at work do go at ot, like ever week or so. Personally I haven't been for nearly a year. Rather wait for the DVD and sit at home and watch in comfort with a beer or two, much cheaper.
Old Jul 11th 2010, 7:31 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I know some people at work do go at ot, like ever week or so. Personally I haven't been for nearly a year. Rather wait for the DVD and sit at home and watch in comfort with a beer or two, much cheaper.
I'm with you on this... but my wife and 'kids' do like to go to the cinema to see the latest blockbuster.
Old Jul 11th 2010, 7:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Mate, you can look link up as many examples as you want. We budget, we go to markets for veg, we buy quarter cows, get it chopped up for $6.99/kg, we get whole lambs and get it chopped up for less than anywhere I've seen it, we are careful and put far more effort into being careful here than ever needed to in the UK and do you know why?

I think some things are marked up here without a doubt, before you take into account personal measures of expense - but whether you think it is expensive to live here depends largely on demographics and income and expenditure required.

Not easy to grasp that research is required before you step on the boat.

It was the first thing I did before I even thought about spending a day here long before migration was a glint in my eye!
Old Jul 11th 2010, 7:47 am
Forum Regular

lastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I think some things are marked up here without a doubt, before you take into account personal measures of expense - but whether you think it is expensive to live here depends largely on demographics and income and expenditure required.

Not easy to grasp that research is required before you step on the boat.

It was the first thing I did before I even thought about spending a day here long before migration was a glint in my eye!
Yep, we researched it and still got a shock. Having said that, I'm not saying we don't like it here, quite the opposite in fact.
Old Jul 11th 2010, 8:52 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Simpson
At this time of night Badge, you should be either pissed, getting pissed or banging your gorgeous wife, not posting that shite on here!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.