British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Is Australia really THAT expensive? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/australia-really-expensive-675759/)

itxrd Jul 9th 2010 7:12 am

Re: Is Australia really THAT expensive?

Moved to Sydney 2 months ago and its true - it is expensive. Basically add on 25% for everything (barring maybe few things like petrol). Food is more, clothes are miles more (at least 50%), any labour costs are more (ie. plumbing, tailoring etc). Cars - 2nd hand ones more. New ones (if made in asia - Honda, Mazda, Toyota etc) are less. Houses more - renting or buying. Our budget was 450 a week but we were unrealistic - ended up paying 680.

The upside is you should earn 25% more so it evens itself out. And the standard of living is better. Can get govt rebates on lots of things too (childcare - which costs about the same before rebate).

This is for sydney. Some people may disagree but a lot of the comments I read are from people that must be on drugs - there's another one thats much more expensive too. I hear ;-)

I'm glad I moved but if you want to be realistic and be prepared for any negatives this is the main and only one I have found so far. This is why so many people buy tons of stuff before coming and ship it over. We did that and are very glad. good luck!

E3only Jul 9th 2010 8:50 am

Originally Posted by itxrd (Post 8689772)
Moved to Sydney 2 months ago and its true - it is expensive. Basically add on 25% for everything (barring maybe few things like petrol). Food is more, clothes are miles more (at least 50%), any labour costs are more (ie. plumbing, tailoring etc). Cars - 2nd hand ones more. New ones (if made in asia - Honda, Mazda, Toyota etc) are less. Houses more - renting or buying. Our budget was 450 a week but we were unrealistic - ended up paying 680.

The upside is you should earn 25% more so it evens itself out. And the standard of living is better. Can get govt rebates on lots of things too (childcare - which costs about the same before rebate).

This is for sydney. Some people may disagree but a lot of the comments I read are from people that must be on drugs - there's another one thats much more expensive too. I hear ;-)

I'm glad I moved but if you want to be realistic and be prepared for any negatives this is the main and only one I have found so far. This is why so many people buy tons of stuff before coming and ship it over. We did that and are very glad. good luck!

I second that...I had a 'handyman' come fix up 2 door stoppers, 2 door handles (he had to buy them new), a quick look at the window locks (which he didnt fix) and 1 other very basic thing - he charged me 300$...***** me.

Barbitana Jul 9th 2010 12:12 pm

Yes it is. Sadly.

Originally Posted by Hugh4Star (Post 8686647)
I'm moving to Australia in December this year to go to Uni while my wife works. I'm now starting to worry because everywhere I look online and every person I know is acting like Australia is the most expensive place on earth to live.

I use to think Toronto was expensive, but it seems cheap in comparison to Australia. $1000 a month all inclusive for a 1 bedroom apartment in a great area, $40 for internet, buying groceries from our little china town where food is so cheap it feels like you're actually traveling through Asia. As long as you don't own a car here, you can live like a king on a modest salary if you're smart with your money.

I guess my question is, are there deals to be found in cities like Melbourne, Brisbane and Sydney? For example, if you look around can you find a reasonably priced 1 bedroom flat (no more than $1400/month), are there areas like our china town where food is cheaper? How about farmers markets, are those common? And how about public transportation, how much is it per ride or per month for a pass in any of those cities?

cheers

Coryate Jul 9th 2010 12:22 pm

When I moved to the UK 10 years ago, I thought it was so expensive, then after a while I learned how and where to buy stuff cheaper.

But in general cars are cheaper, and better quality in the UK, as are Whitegoods, clothes, and books.

We also have a greater variety of items here, due to the larger population, and much less distance before the citys.

Stuff on ebay is amazingly cheap in the UK, I've bought clothes for my son, toys,books and electonic gear, and again it's the variety that is amazing.

I also lived in NZ in the early 90s and that was more expensive than Australia, and the UK, it was distance and population issues again. Almost all the food came from Australia, and there was a booming business importing 2nd hand clothes from the US.

Now...back to looking for more toys to stick in that shipping container.

Deancm_MKII Jul 9th 2010 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by itxrd (Post 8689772)

Yeah, apparently cocaine is something like $400/gram! WTF!!! Anyone must be mad to pay that!

Deancm_MKII Jul 9th 2010 2:10 pm

If Anybody likes Diesel jeans or similar designer clothing make sure you stock up in the UK. Diesel jeans retail in Australia for $500 - $700.

BadgeIsBack Jul 10th 2010 1:10 am

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond (Post 8689118)

At those prices, and on my salary I can categorically say they are a lot cheaper in Australia. In unit terms, I earn 2-5 times my UK salary - therefore looking at both ends of this earning scale to take a broad view.

bcworld Jul 10th 2010 1:19 am

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack (Post 8691443)
At those prices, and on my salary I can categorically say they are a lot cheaper in Australia. In unit terms, I earn 2-5 times my UK salary - therefore looking at both ends of this earning scale to take a broad view.

I'm (not) shocked that ABCD couldn't find them cheaper!

Starting here at £296.95.

BadgeIsBack Jul 10th 2010 2:38 am

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 8691475)

Sounds more like it. c1000 seemed well too high and I was inclined to take the cheaper. At this new price, and at a good UK salary, (I've deliberately doubled my last UK income to allow for progression), for me, the price would be comparable right now.

Infact, I could pare off both salaries to mimic less favourable employment conditions and arrive at similar results.

Taking into account literal salaries Australia perhaps as much as half-price. Silly comparison as income is expected to increase with time(!)

Sally Simpson Jul 10th 2010 2:46 am

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack (Post 8691677)
Sounds more like it. c1000 seemed well too high and I was inclined to take the cheaper. At this new price, and at a good UK salary, (I've deliberately doubled my last UK income to allow for progression), for me, the price would be comparable right now.

Infact, I could pare off both salaries to mimic less favourable employment conditions and arrive at similar results.

Taking into account literal salaries Australia perhaps as much as half-price. Silly comparison as income is expected to increase with time(!)

At this time of night Badge, you should be either pissed, getting pissed or banging your gorgeous wife, not posting that shite on here!;)

Sherlock Holmes Jul 10th 2010 2:51 am

Originally Posted by Sally Simpson (Post 8691694)
At this time of night Badge, you should be either pissed, getting pissed or banging your gorgeous wife, not posting that shite on here!;)

Not on the Lord's Day, please!!!!!!!:rofl:

Sally Simpson Jul 10th 2010 2:54 am

Originally Posted by alistairboyle (Post 8691705)

Oh, my good Irish catholic husband told me that it was Sundays, Christmas day & any other day that he decreed!;):lol:

Pollyana Jul 10th 2010 3:05 am

Originally Posted by alistairboyle (Post 8691705)

Why not, the Lord can get pissed as well if he likes :lol:

I'm allowed to say things like that, I'm a vicar's daughter ;)

lastone Jul 10th 2010 3:14 am

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede (Post 8687303)
Australia is expensive. There's no getting away from it.

This. Just this.

coolshadows Jul 10th 2010 10:12 am

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 8691475)

but that wouldn't have been in his interest.