Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is Australia really THAT expensive?

Old Jul 9th 2010, 8:40 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Is Australia really THAT expensive?

Originally Posted by gmralston
I don't think used cars are a similar price, they are way more expensive in oz and £14.90 for your leg of Lamb is more like $25AUD.
$25 a kilo for legs of lamb, I'm refusing to buy them at the moment because my butchers quoting $13 a kilo
Old Jul 9th 2010, 8:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PeterYork
Interestingly I moved from St kilda to brunswick. I was paying $370/wk for my two bed flat in st kilda. OK it wasn't the nicest flat in st kilda (no balcony - thats why I moved). But you could prob get a nice one for $450/wk. Only about 5 or 6 couples can to the viewing when we were leaving the flat so not such high demand.
As you said:

OK it wasn't the nicest flat in st kilda
Yeah, you won't get much of a 2 bed flat for $370/wk in St Kilda. Probably why there wasn't many viewing and everybody wants a balcony at least. St. Kilda has a tendency to have some really nice flats and some really shitty ones.
Old Jul 9th 2010, 8:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
I wasn't hugely impressed by being quoted nearly $2000 for a set of tyres this Tuesday

That was more than double the UK price... no idea why I bothered to check.. but it was about $208 each from Kwik Fit UK and $489 each here !

I settled for ToYo tyres rather than Dunlop.. brought the price down to 'only' $1200
I got Toyos all round on a 4x4 ute for c. 600.
My wife got her falcon reshod on Yokohomos for about 400.

It's all variable - my car insurance in Australia is in dollars what I paid in pounds.

Some things I do find more expensive tend to be one in a 5 year/10 year event. I find much of the day to day stuff comparable - apart from the things I have listed many times over.

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
What type of tyres do you buy ?
You do get what you pay for - as my tyre op said - he wouldn't put some tyres on his daughter's pushchair..
Old Jul 9th 2010, 8:47 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Hugh4Star
I'm moving to Australia in December this year to go to Uni while my wife works. I'm now starting to worry because everywhere I look online and every person I know is acting like Australia is the most expensive place on earth to live.

I use to think Toronto was expensive, but it seems cheap in comparison to Australia. $1000 a month all inclusive for a 1 bedroom apartment in a great area, $40 for internet, buying groceries from our little china town where food is so cheap it feels like you're actually traveling through Asia. As long as you don't own a car here, you can live like a king on a modest salary if you're smart with your money.

I guess my question is, are there deals to be found in cities like Melbourne, Brisbane and Sydney? For example, if you look around can you find a reasonably priced 1 bedroom flat (no more than $1400/month), are there areas like our china town where food is cheaper? How about farmers markets, are those common? And how about public transportation, how much is it per ride or per month for a pass in any of those cities?

cheers
1 beds in Sydney's Inner West start at around $300 a week. Bus travel 10's are around $26 and travelcards (train, ferry, bus) $41 a week.

Food wise I don't use Chinatown but have learnt in my area where to buy. Rump steaks I pay $10.70 for (good quality but in bulk), potatoes & onions are $8 for a 10 kilo bag and veg I buy whatever is in season (last week was broccoli at $1.30/kilo and cauliflower at $2 each). Farmers markets exist in Sydney but generally aren't cheap (although the quality can be excellent)

Aus is definitely expensive if you go to the majors but if you shop around then you learn where to get the quality stuff for at a good price.
Old Jul 9th 2010, 9:46 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

YES

Fully comp car insurance + exeptionally high rego (road tax).
Dentistry (those used to NHS dentists will have a shock).
House prices
lawnmowers
broadband (you'll laugh at the speed too)
Electricity Bills
Nappies / Wipes
Childcare
(...I'm not adding any more - it's depressing )

(1 exception: If you live in London then the answer is likely NO)
Old Jul 9th 2010, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coolshadows
1 exception: If you live in London then the answer is likely NO)
I lived in London (E2) and I had a shock when I arrived back in Melbourne, so as far as London is concerned I would say it is also a "YES!".

I especially couldn't believe the price of a pint. Some pints I have been charged $17 for. WTF!!!
Old Jul 9th 2010, 10:49 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I got Toyos all round on a 4x4 ute for c. 600.
My wife got her falcon reshod on Yokohomos for about 400.

It's all variable - my car insurance in Australia is in dollars what I paid in pounds.

Some things I do find more expensive tend to be one in a 5 year/10 year event. I find much of the day to day stuff comparable - apart from the things I have listed many times over.

You do get what you pay for - as my tyre op said - he wouldn't put some tyres on his daughter's pushchair..
No arguement with any of that.. it was just when the Nissan main dealer, who I knew would be stupidly expensive for tyres because main dealers always are, said $485 each my response was "faaaarrrkk'n Hell" !
Old Jul 9th 2010, 12:21 pm
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

YES

Dentistry (those used to NHS dentists will have a shock).
House prices
lawnmowers
Electricity Bills
Nappies / Wipes
Childcare
(...I'm not adding any more - it's depressing )

(1 exception: If you live in London then the answer is likely NO)
I love the inclusion of 'lawnmowers'

quality
Old Jul 9th 2010, 1:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stuckinblighty
I love the inclusion of 'lawnmowers'

quality
Indeed. My 5bhp Tornado was just over 500 bucks 6 years ago.

Someone tell me what they are now!

On paying out for expensive things - what's a good Bosch frontloader cost in GBP. Ours was c AUS700 I think 2 years ago.

Not cheap.
Old Jul 9th 2010, 1:26 pm
ABCDiamond

Depends where you come from and go to.

www.speedtest.net shows :
Countries Ranked by Speed (average)
  • 35 United Kingdom 7.69 Mb/s
  • 41 Australia 7.07 Mb/s
Not that big a difference, on average.

And that may also be the same for other things on the list.

Old Jul 9th 2010, 1:31 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

11 bucks for 4 litres of Stanley cask ... it's ruinous here.
Old Jul 9th 2010, 1:36 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DeadVim
11 bucks for 4 litres of Stanley cask ... it's ruinous here.
Ruin your liver that's for sure
Old Jul 9th 2010, 1:39 pm
ABCDiamond

4 Cyl car in QLD
$317.45 Registration fee and Traffic improvement fee
$337.00 CTP insurance premium
$400.29 Fully Comp Ins, and the total for one of our cars is:

$1,054.74, for Rego and Fully Comp Insurance. (just under 1 weeks ave wage)

Not sure how that compares to the UK now.

Old Jul 9th 2010, 1:43 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
On paying out for expensive things - what's a good Bosch frontloader cost in GBP. Ours was c AUS700 I think 2 years ago.

Not cheap.
About £400 up to £1160 www.buycentral.co.uk/zco-Bosch-washing-machines

Old Jul 9th 2010, 1:43 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Ruin your liver that's for sure
It's alright, I have another ... hold on, that's kidneys ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.