Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is Australia really THAT expensive?

Is Australia really THAT expensive?

Old Jul 9th 2010, 12:42 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is Australia really THAT expensive?

Originally Posted by E3only
So, you asked me the relevance of comparing US to AU and yet you guys are going on about tyres. And I can tell you, in a typical bloke way there is a debate brewing!
Nahhh.. debate over. I got a set of tyres for near $800 less than the Dunlops I had on the car from new and all the info I can glean from the web suggests the cheaper ones I put on are better.

Result.
Old Jul 9th 2010, 12:53 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Nahhh.. debate over. I got a set of tyres for near $800 less than the Dunlops I had on the car from new and all the info I can glean from the web suggests the cheaper ones I put on are better.

Result.
I recently changed 1 tyre on my Mazda in AU and that was ~$300 fitted. I think it was either Mich or B'stone.
Old Jul 9th 2010, 1:01 am
Forum Regular

gmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Petals
Been here in Uk for last two months and we think that the cost of living is about the same but utility bills are dearer here as is petrol of course.

Clothes are much the same depending on what standard of clothing purchased, cheap is cheap and dear is dear.

Saw legs of lamb in Chatham todayh fourteen pounds ninety nine that is $30 so similar to Aus as lamb is expensive.

We eat fillet steak and have paid the same price here as in Aus.

Of course we have done ok because the exchange rate is in our favour.

Also noticed that used cars similar to the ones in Aus are the same price as well, just convert them to Aus dollars and not much difference at all.
I don't think used cars are a similar price, they are way more expensive in oz and £14.90 for your leg of Lamb is more like $25AUD.
Old Jul 9th 2010, 2:09 am
BE Enthusiast

pomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by E3only
5 years ago, my wife & I survived on one salary (50k) – key word being ‘survived’
- 1 bedroom OLD apartment
- 8,000 car loan
- grocery
- dine out every now and then
- we are non meat eaters, non drinkers and non smokers so none of the clubbing going crazy
- went to the markets every other week for vege and fruits

You have to realize, it’s all subjective. My wife took great care of the money I took home. She clearly is the success story behind this . 50k annual btw translates to around 3,100 after tax a month (well 5 years ago tax rates)

Domain.com.au is a good reference to understand the current rentals. If you were flexible in moving out of Sydney and living say 30-40 mins away from the downtown (by bus/train) then it gets easier. Remember, Sydney has good transport system…….

Fact as I said is – it’s all subjective and depends on your lifestyle.

Hope that helps.
5 years ago, I didn't have a problem with cost of living, it's the last 2-3 years where prices have skyrocketed here in Perth
Old Jul 9th 2010, 2:13 am
BE Enthusiast

pomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
Don't hold your breath. All the reasonably priced rental properties have hundreds of applications and the landlord can literally take his pick. In the end you could end up paying upwards of $600/wk just to secure seomthing.

There's a massive property shortage in Australia and unless you want to live miles away from the CBD, getting a property is not as easy as it seems.
There's no shortage in Perth, rental vacancies are around 3-4%, rents have stagnated for at least a year and there are 30% more houses up for sale since January. In Mandurah there is a cronic over supply which would take 2 1/2 years to clear
Old Jul 9th 2010, 2:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pomtastic
There's no shortage in Perth, rental vacancies are around 3-4%, rents have stagnated for at least a year and there are 30% more houses up for sale since January. In Mandurah there is a cronic over supply which would take 2 1/2 years to clear
I do believe the OP mentioned Melbourne, Brisbane and Sydney. No mention of Perth.

The reason why there are rentals available in Perth is because no one wants to go there and after visiting for a few days they want to head to Melbourne or Sydney quick smart.
Old Jul 9th 2010, 6:38 am
Da bing bing!

JenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond repute

Talking of transport....

Further irrelevant information - we keep a horse at full livery in our local riding school, it costs us approx £430 per month, with shoes & dentists & vets on top. That's before daughter wants to go off to shows, have lessons, or buy "treats".

So far, the most expensive, luxurious, swanky livery I have found in Melbourne area is $69.00 per week - & that includes your own private paddock that staff will also clean for you twice a week! If we wanted to just chuck a horse in a field, that would cost us around $15 per week.

Happy days
Old Jul 9th 2010, 6:40 am
Forum Regular

PeterYork will become famous soon enough

Don't hold your breath. All the reasonably priced rental properties have hundreds of applications and the landlord can literally take his pick. In the end you could end up paying upwards of $600/wk just to secure seomthing.

There's a massive property shortage in Australia and unless you want to live miles away from the CBD, getting a property is not as easy as it seems.
Wrong I'm afraid, 7 months ago I secured a rental on a nice 2 bed house around 6km from the Melbourne cbd (brunswick). $390 per week (1690/month) not 'upwards of 600/wk'. Oh and there was only one other person at the viewing.

A one bed flat would be a bit cheaper.

In my opinion there is not a 'massive' property shortage in aus. Maybe a bubble in house prices..
Old Jul 9th 2010, 6:47 am
Da bing bing!

JenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond repute

I agree Peter, the picture is very mixed.

We have feeds set up for new houses coming to the market for both sales & rentals. We'll be looking for a 4-bed home in one of the outer suburbs of Melbourne. I regularly get ads for houses now on the rental market, that didn't sell several months ago & they're pretty good value!

Last week we had a 4 bed home with a pool, 3 living areas & a paddock for $500 per week, within 45mins commute of the CBD. Given we're currently paying £950 per month to rent a tiny terraced behind the local railway station, to me that represents a bit of a deal!
Old Jul 9th 2010, 7:02 am
ABCDiamond

I wasn't hugely impressed by being quoted nearly $2000 for a set of tyres this Tuesday

That was more than double the UK price... no idea why I bothered to check.. but it was about $208 each from Kwik Fit UK and $489 each here !

I settled for ToYo tyres rather than Dunlop.. brought the price down to 'only' $1200
What type of tyres do you buy ?

Old Jul 9th 2010, 7:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PeterYork
Wrong I'm afraid, 7 months ago I secured a rental on a nice 2 bed house around 6km from the Melbourne cbd (brunswick). $390 per week (1690/month) not 'upwards of 600/wk'. Oh and there was only one other person at the viewing.

A one bed flat would be a bit cheaper.

In my opinion there is not a 'massive' property shortage in aus. Maybe a bubble in house prices..
I was thinking of the areas that are in more demand like South Melbourne, St. Kilda, Albert Park, South Yarra and surrounds. There is not that high a demand for Brunswick.
Old Jul 9th 2010, 7:55 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
What type of tyres do you buy ?
More expensive ones than those !!

Dunlop Grandtrek ST20's 225/65R18. Nissan quoted me $485 EACH !

Started ringing round and got some around the $360 mark if I bought four at once. Still too much so settled on some Toyo Open Country
Old Jul 9th 2010, 7:55 am
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Yes I agree. Huge savings.And you will probably earn more dollars than quids too so rather than save half, it might represent a saving of 4 times... I'm convinced people are so busy looking at what seems expensive that they fail to notice what is cheaper..

I find utils, rates, insurance, labour rates and many things cheaper to be honest but others are in the middle of having the sky surgically removed from around their head...

Taxing and registering a car expensive here, but maybe that's why insurance is lower!
Insurance lower ?!?!?! $500+ for fully comp on a getz....i dont call that cheaper than the UK...and yes i did shop around ,did the bartering etc etc etc
Old Jul 9th 2010, 7:59 am
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

More expensive ones than those !!

Dunlop Grandtrek ST20's 225/65R18. Nissan quoted me $485 EACH !

Started ringing round and got some around the $360 mark if I bought four at once. Still too much so settled on some Toyo Open Country
The cost of car tyres here absolutely astounds me

On the plus side they still do puncture repairs here
Old Jul 9th 2010, 8:32 am
Forum Regular

PeterYork will become famous soon enough

I was thinking of the areas that are in more demand like South Melbourne, St. Kilda, Albert Park, South Yarra and surrounds. There is not that high a demand for Brunswick.
Interestingly I moved from St kilda to brunswick. I was paying $370/wk for my two bed flat in st kilda. OK it wasn't the nicest flat in st kilda (no balcony - thats why I moved). But you could prob get a nice one for $450/wk. Only about 5 or 6 couples can to the viewing when we were leaving the flat so not such high demand.

Anyway the point is I don't think the OP was after advice about living in luxury accomodation in the poshest suburbs in Melbourne (albert park etc). You can get a one bed flat (what the OP wanted) in decent areas of melbourne, inner suburbs for $350-$400 per week (approx 1500-1700 per month)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.