Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is Australia really THAT expensive?

Is Australia really THAT expensive?

Old Jul 26th 2010, 11:14 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Australia really THAT expensive?

Originally Posted by jimbo_d
Plenty of cheap places in Northbridge and in the CBD where you can eat for less than $20
Yes, there are some great Vietnamese, Thai, Chinese places around there where you could eat well for $15.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 1:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzExpat
Yes, it's pretty damn expensive now! I've lived in Oz, the UK and now the USA and in my experience Oz has the highest cost of living.

I doubt very much you'll find something in a decent area of Melbourne or Sydney for $1400 a month. You'd have to be in outer suburbs to get that.

There are markets like Queen Vic in Melbourne, but I didn't find it very cheap when I was last there. Public transit seemed reasonable in Melbourne though.
Agree. Find also most social activities in Australia not at all cheap.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 1:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Coryate
When I moved to the UK 10 years ago, I thought it was so expensive, then after a while I learned how and where to buy stuff cheaper.

But in general cars are cheaper, and better quality in the UK, as are Whitegoods, clothes, and books.

We also have a greater variety of items here, due to the larger population, and much less distance before the citys.

Stuff on ebay is amazingly cheap in the UK, I've bought clothes for my son, toys,books and electonic gear, and again it's the variety that is amazing.

I also lived in NZ in the early 90s and that was more expensive than Australia, and the UK, it was distance and population issues again. Almost all the food came from Australia, and there was a booming business importing 2nd hand clothes from the US.

Now...back to looking for more toys to stick in that shipping container.
Agree.UK cheaper these days for so many things.Years ago it was the reverse.
New books for example often cost what a secondhand book would cost in OZ. Eating out has become absurd at least in Perth,in terms of quality and price as well as often than not the lack of ambiance.
One can wonder exactly why Australia has changed so rapidly from being a fair and affordable country for almost all only a decade ago to what it has become now..a greedy,overpriced ,poor service delivery nation.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 2:22 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Agree.UK cheaper these days for so many things.Years ago it was the reverse.
New books for example often cost what a secondhand book would cost in OZ. Eating out has become absurd at least in Perth,in terms of quality and price as well as often than not the lack of ambiance.
One can wonder exactly why Australia has changed so rapidly from being a fair and affordable country for almost all only a decade ago to what it has become now..a greedy,overpriced ,poor service delivery nation.
Observations from last week in the UK:
UK bookshops are great (although many are now closing) but unless you can get books on special or on sale then The Book Depository/Amazon etc are cheaper.
Eating out in the UK can be cheap but I have doubts about the quality of cheap meals (2 meals for GBP5 etc). I had a curry in a Wetherspoon pub that you could tell had just been heated in a microwave and the chicken had no taste - it was disgusting. Same for a Pizza in a restaurant in London. On the other hand we had great meals in a Nepalese restaurant in Oxted and a pub in Berkshire.
I found customer service, in general, to be average at best.
Service in restaurants was mainly shite.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 2:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I had a curry in a Wetherspoon pub that you could tell had just been heated in a microwave and the chicken had no taste - it was disgusting.
What did you expect from a Wetherspoon's pub? They are renowned for their el-cheapo 5 quid shit! That's why they are usually full of pensioners.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 2:53 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
What did you expect from a Wetherspoon's pub? They are renowned for their el-cheapo 5 quid shit! That's why they are usually full of pensioners.
I dunno what I was expecting, I'd never eaten at one before. The point I was making is that although food may be cheaper over there, it does not mean it's better.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 3:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

I dunno what I was expecting, I'd never eaten at one before. The point I was making is that although food may be cheaper over there, it does not mean it's better.
All depends on where you go.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 6:15 am
ABCDiamond

Yes, there are some great Vietnamese, Thai, Chinese places around there where you could eat well for $15.
You don't need to eat Asian either, a couple of restaurants advertising in the local paper.

Wellington Point:
    Victoria Point

Old Jul 27th 2010, 7:02 am
      Da bing bing!

JenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I don't know why everyone doesn't make their way to the Espy & check it out - the Specials menu is brilliant value particularly & the quality & quantity is great

http://www.espy.com.au/Espy_Content/...ENUES/KITCHEN/

Wetherspoons can be really hit & miss. We eat there most Sundays with the kids for breakfast, mainly coz it's very cheap & the kids tend to leave a fair bit at times. £2.60 I think it is, for a standard breakfast. I agree with you about the re-heated main meals though...I had a chilli once that was indistinguishable from the spag bol!!!
      Old Jul 27th 2010, 7:09 am
      Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
      joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

It really is that expensive. We shop at Aldi as we cant afford to shop at coles or woolies and we are not on a bad income but our home loan takes more than 50% of our income and we are in an entry level home in Brisbane outer suburbs.

I found the UK much cheaper when I was back in Nov 09 and I now shop on ebay in the UK for kids shoes, swimwear and a few other bits and pieces. I also shop online in the UK and either pay the postage or get it sent to the rellies and have them forward it to me

Jo
      Old Jul 27th 2010, 7:29 am
      ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by joh117
      It really is that expensive. We shop at Aldi as we cant afford to shop at coles or woolies and we are not on a bad income but our home loan takes more than 50% of our income and we are in an entry level home in Brisbane outer suburbs.

I found the UK much cheaper when I was back in Nov 09 and I now shop on ebay in the UK for kids shoes, swimwear and a few other bits and pieces. I also shop online in the UK and either pay the postage or get it sent to the rellies and have them forward it to me

Jo
      Well worth checking out the local shops as well as the supermarkets, especially for fresh food ...

Old Jul 27th 2010, 8:03 am
      Forum Regular

Davesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to all

Originally Posted by the troubadour
      Agree. Find also most social activities in Australia not at all cheap.
      Number one social activity has to be the barbie . There are free click on barbies evrrywhere in Perth . There are also countless free activiities for kids and families, and parks to die for .

This thread has turned into Aus V UK price comparison , with a lot of contradicting views, must be confusing for potential immigrants . Smacks of whinging pommes if you ask me .

Shopping in the UK and getting rellies to send it has to be false economy?
      Old Jul 27th 2010, 8:27 am
      Banned

danjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nice

OZ is very expensive now compared to pretty much anywhere on earth and I can't believe mugs still go out there and want to live in this paradise!
      Old Jul 27th 2010, 8:29 am
      BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JenniGee
      Well, I don't know why everyone doesn't make their way to the Espy & check it out
      That's because The Espy is a bit of a shithole really.
      Old Jul 27th 2010, 8:38 am
      Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
      Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Davesax
      Number one social activity has to be the barbie . There are free click on barbies evrrywhere in Perth . There are also countless free activiities for kids and families, and parks to die for .

This thread has turned into Aus V UK price comparison , with a lot of contradicting views, must be confusing for potential immigrants . Smacks of whinging pommes if you ask me .

Shopping in the UK and getting rellies to send it has to be false economy?
      Not if the quality is better and thus the goods last longer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.