Reload this Page >

Australia PR visa/Centrelink benefits

Australia PR visa/Centrelink benefits

Old Dec 1st 2009, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

geraldine2 will become famous soon enough
Default Australia PR visa/Centrelink benefits

Dear all,

Presently iam working in australia for last 9 months ,good job sufficient salary to live with wife and two kids.

My wife is looking for job but so far she has no luck,we approch centrelink for job help ,we sent cv...still waiting for reply.

my kids get some payment from centrelink.

my next question is ...after completing two years on pr visa and still my wife unable to find job will centrelink give some job,or can she claim unemployement benifits.
anyone knows how much cash centrelink pay for this cause.

Please advise me?

Many Thanks

Gerald
Old Dec 1st 2009, 8:57 am
Just Joined

Adrian and Jane is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Australia PR visa

Gerald

If you have sufficient income for the family, why claim unemployment benefits? In order to fully answer the question it would be useful to understand what you wife does?

AJ
Old Dec 1st 2009, 10:19 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia PR visa

Originally Posted by geraldine2
Dear all,

Presently iam working in australia for last 9 months ,good job sufficient salary to live with wife and two kids.

My wife is looking for job but so far she has no luck,we approch centrelink for job help ,we sent cv...still waiting for reply.

my kids get some payment from centrelink.

my next question is ...after completing two years on pr visa and still my wife unable to find job will centrelink give some job,or can she claim unemployement benifits.
anyone knows how much cash centrelink pay for this cause.

Please advise me?

Many Thanks

Gerald
If you have been in Australia less than 2 years you are not eligible for social security payments (unemployment, welfare, etc). You do get child benefit payments to help offset the cost of raising your children but not unemployment.

After 2 years if your wife cannot find work then she can apply for unemployment benefits, but your income will be taken into account before she would get anything. www.centrelink.gov.au
Old Dec 1st 2009, 11:07 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Australia PR visa/Centrelink benefits

Originally Posted by geraldine2
That indicates that no benefit will be available to your wife, even after the 2 year period.

An income of around $40-50,000 for yourself would definitely negate any unemployment benefit for a partner.

Old Dec 3rd 2009, 1:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

homewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud of

HOwever she would be able to register with a Job Services Provider as a stream 1 client and get assistance that way ie. help with resume.

But I'm afraid you will be over the threshold for Income Support payments after 2 years assuming you are working fulltime on minimum wage. I recently took home just $700 in a fortnight and was over the threshold for Income support!
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 1:13 pm
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by homewardbound
HOwever she would be able to register with a Job Services Provider as a stream 1 client and get assistance that way ie. help with resume.

But I'm afraid you will be over the threshold for Income Support payments after 2 years assuming you are working fulltime on minimum wage. I recently took home just $700 in a fortnight and was over the threshold for Income support!
I'd like to think that within 2 years you're wife will be able to get something, as a mum it's not always the sparkliest of jobs but depends how much she wants to work, if she has a specific field that she works in and isn't willing to consider doing anything else?

Centrelink payments for the kids will help with their costs though and as you say you earn enough to support you all so surely it's not a hugely important factor?
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 1:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

garyp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of light

You may also be able to claim rent assistance as PR visa holder (if you rent)
and your wage doesnt take you over the limit.
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 2:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I would feel to ashamed to claim unemployment benefit in a country I have only just arrived in. In fact I have been here 4 years, am a citizen, unemployed and currently dont claim benefits of any kind.

I dont think its right to expect a country that has allowed you to settle here, to expect them to pay you benefits, but thats my personal opinon
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 2:23 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by dave99
Personally I would feel to ashamed to claim unemployment benefit in a country I have only just arrived in. In fact I have been here 4 years, am a citizen, unemployed and currently dont claim benefits of any kind.

I dont think its right to expect a country that has allowed you to settle here, to expect them to pay you benefits, but thats my personal opinon
If only more of the ppl emigrating to the UK thought that way, have read far too many stories of ppl from various countries moving here not working, claiming all the benefits under the sun and being put in 'fancy fully furnished accomodation'.
No wonder ppl don't want to work for a bloody living cause altho my husband works his arse off damn near 6 days a week we couldn't afford that and have half the kids some of those ppl do.

Anyway Gerald back to your problem -do excuse my little rant
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 3:24 pm
Just Joined

Adrian and Jane is an unknown quantity at this point

Well said Dave & JenJen!!
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 3:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

garyp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of light

I agree that if you move to another country you should not be able to claim full benefits and should bring a skill to that country and be in employment as soon as.
If I lost that employment through no fault of my own and struggled to find employment and was a citizen I can tell you now I would claim whatever I could. If it meant putting a roof over your head and feeding and looking after your family I dont believe anyone would truthfully turn down help.
Just for the record I have never claimed anything in UK as I have always been in employment but if I had too I would.
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

H2fusion is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dave99

I agree to that.
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 7:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

hollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud of

I am a nurse, on PR and my wife is paid an extra element of the
family benefit because she stays at home to look after our three kids. That bit
of it is only about $50.
I earn more here than in the UK but our benefits are better here.
I don't feel like a scronger...especially when I see that most
of the folk around here earn twice what I do in the mines!
HKA
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 7:33 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by hollykimalan
I am a nurse, on PR and my wife is paid an extra element of the
family benefit because she stays at home to look after our three kids. That bit
of it is only about $50.
I earn more here than in the UK but our benefits are better here.
I don't feel like a scronger...especially when I see that most
of the folk around here earn twice what I do in the mines!
HKA
I don't have a problem with that it's just ppl who go to another country and either give up work / lose job and not bother looking and expect to be looked after and have everything paid.

Child benefit is a bit different. I hear if you have PR or are an Aussie citizen you were given a bonus last xmas to help buy pressies, lovely.

It's a shame the UK doesn't do that especially with the way things are, but I don't expect it, I chose to have them (bloody expensive things they are lol)

But I think it's wise of the government to give benefit to help bring children up as they are the future generation.
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 9:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JenJen
I hear if you have PR or are an Aussie citizen you were given a bonus last xmas to help buy pressies, lovely.
Last year we did but that was part of the stimulus package, not expecting it this year it was a lovely surprise!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.